🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays Week 37 Blue Hawaii

• The slide girl later became a professional ballerina.

Are you sure?

I mean, I'm not going to bet my life on IMDb Trivia or anything... :P

The little girl afraid to slide down the chute at the playground during the song "Confidence" was

Lisa Slagle

. She became a member of the Joffrey Ballet. She displays her burgeoning ballet talents in this scene, even enjoying a brief dance with Elvis.

• Like 2

I mean, I'm not going to bet my life on IMDb Trivia or anything... :P

[/left]

Be careful Cameron H. You have entered...The Twilight Zone.

Look up the episode "Five Characters in Search of an Exit."

• Like 2

Okay, fuck it. In this scene, Elvis is trying to convince a little girl to be brave and slide down a fucking slide. You will notice that the music is decidedly not “Rock and/or Roll.” In fact, it sounds like something Rogers and Hammerstein might have written after getting really drunk and smashing their heads into a cinderblock wall.

ETA:

Some points of interest:

• The slide girl later became a professional ballerina.

• Yes, that’s Bill Bixby who walks in at the end.

• In case you were wondering, this scene’s relevance to the plot is tenuous at best.

You hit the nail on the head with the comparison to R&H. This clip is giving me all sorts of Carousel vibes. The merry-go-round = carousel and in Carousel there's a song "This Was a Real Nice Clambake" about a real nice clambake.

• Like 4

I feel like it's worth asking: what's everyone's favorite Elvis song? (remixes and covers are allowed)

For me, I think it's a toss up between "Kentucky Rain" and Suspicious Minds" with KR just narrowly edging out SM.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywiXy-9X4F8

• Like 3

Real quick thing about old men calling their wives "Mother:" My grandfather, born in 1927, called his wife (my grandmother) that until the day she died. He didn't use it all the time, but it would usually manifest as her telling him to do something, and his steady, Midwestern response would be "Yes, Mother." It'd be similar if he had said, "yes, Dear" or "of course, honey." I think because he was born 59 years before me, he's just from a generation when that nomenclature just wasn't creepy. That obviously doesn't explain Mike Pence. And if my grandmother ever called my grandfather "Father" or "Daddy" instead of his name, Jack, I would have found it SUPER CREEPY.

And I did BRIEFLY date a girl in high school who went for the "daddy/mommy" naming thing and.... yeeeesh. I was NOT INTO IT.

• Like 3

I feel like it's worth asking: what's everyone's favorite Elvis song? (remixes and covers are allowed)

Maybe The Other Side of Summer or All This Useless Beauty?

I’m not familiar with Elvis’ discography at all.

::shame emoji::

• Like 2

I like 'Can't Help Falling In Love' and 'Suspicious Minds' but my favorite is probably 'A Little Less Conversation'.

• Like 3

Maybe The Other Side of Summer or All This Useless Beauty?

Jeezy Creezy...

tumblr_m81tkpkq0K1r742ezo5_250.gif

Anyway the correct answer is:

1) Veronica

2) The Other Side of Summer

3) Radio Radio

4) Everyday I Write the Book

5) (What's so Funny 'Bout) Peace Love and Understanding

• Like 3

Jeezy Creezy...

Anyway the correct answer is:

1) Veronica

2) The Other Side of Summer

3) Radio Radio

4) Everyday I Write the Book

5) (What's so Funny 'Bout) Peace Love and Understanding

You can't make me choose between Veronica and Alison (and maybe She).

• Like 4

Real quick thing about old men calling their wives "Mother:" My grandfather, born in 1927, called his wife (my grandmother) that until the day she died. He didn't use it all the time, but it would usually manifest as her telling him to do something, and his steady, Midwestern response would be "Yes, Mother." It'd be similar if he had said, "yes, Dear" or "of course, honey." I think because he was born 59 years before me, he's just from a generation when that nomenclature just wasn't creepy. That obviously doesn't explain Mike Pence. And if my grandmother ever called my grandfather "Father" or "Daddy" instead of his name, Jack, I would have found it SUPER CREEPY.

And I did BRIEFLY date a girl in high school who went for the "daddy/mommy" naming thing and.... yeeeesh. I was NOT INTO IT.

Wait, Jack is your grandfather? Why didn't you say you had a familial connection to this movie?!?

c17fda02641f71b95e0f08d4065d56b3.jpg

• Like 3

Out of curiosity I went to look up the composer for Clambake then compared with the composer for Blue Hawaii. The Blue Hawaii gentleman worked on a lot of note and 4-5 of Elvis' first films. The last one seems to be Roustabout. Look at this IMDB tagline: "After a singer loses his job at a coffee shop, he finds employment at a struggling carnival, but his attempted romance with a teenager leads to friction with her father. " I'm sensing a theme with Elvis. (Cameron H, your IMDB trivia faith is restored.)

One other note about Clambake. It was released in 1967, the year he married Priscilla. They had been together for eight years at that point and she was now 22. They would only last for five more.

M7Ynhd8.jpg

• Like 3

What was the point of the wedding boat ride? They didn't go very far. All the other guests easily walked to meet them at the end.

• Like 1

What was the point of the wedding boat ride? They didn't go very far. All the other guests easily walked to meet them at the end.

It made it super Hawaiian-ey and shit.

---

I just wanted to put it out there that another good companion piece to this... or maybe if you've watched a slew of Elvis movies...is to watch Honeymoon in Vegas starring our patron saint of HDTGM - Nic Cage. It's is one of my absolute favorites and Elvis is a big part of it since the soundtrack is all his songs or covers.

There's even a baby Elvis impersonator - Bruno Mars!

a76f2f2fe283f2893d42c09a6c8722ed.jpg

Anyways... since the movie goes from Las Vegas to Hawaii and back, Elvis is sort of looming large over the whole thing.

• Like 4

I either like Elvis legitimately good or really corny. So, Rubberneckin' is certainly a contender for my favorite.

• Like 2

Whoa, now! I just learned that Elvis did a cover of Willie Nelson’s “Always On My Mind.” So, I think my favorite Elvis song is this:

• Like 1

I wish I could be more interesting or unique but as I said earlier I only really know the hits. Favourite is "Suspicious Minds" but I do also kinda have a soft spot for "In the Ghetto" as well.

As far as covers go I am more familiar with the UB40 version of "Can't Help Falling in Love" than the Elvis one.

• Like 1

Whoa, now! I just learned that Elvis did a cover of Willie Nelson’s “Always On My Mind.” So, I think my favorite Elvis song is this:

http://youtu.be/5eTWWHGouSM

The Pet Shop Boys is my favourite version of this song too!

The Pet Shop Boys is my favourite version of this song too!

My whole night is the Pet Shop Boys now. :) Currently listening to “Rent.”

• Like 1

Sounds like a good night! I always really liked "Being Boring"

• Like 1

Sounds like a good night! I always really liked "Being Boring"

It came on right as I read this! You know what that means? We’re Pet Shop Buddies!

giphy.gif

(Can you believe I couldn’t find a single gif of Air Bud high-fiving a kid or something. What are those movies even about if not that?)

• Like 2

It came on right as I read this! You know what that means? We’re Pet Shop Buddies!

(Can you believe I couldn’t find a single gif of Air Bud high-fiving a kid or something. What are those movies even about if not that?)

There is nothing in the rule book about dogs giving high fives.

Fun fact: I tried for a long time to get my school to add the Air Bud and Buddies movies in addition to M.V.P (Most Valuable Primate and Most Vertical Primate) to our DVD library to play for the kids. Mainly because I want to watch time but not so much so I want to use my free time to do so.

• Like 2

So, my parents called each other "Mom" and "Dad" until very recently when talking to my sister or me. Now, it's "your mom" and "your dad." They started doing it when we were really little because children take social cues from their parents, and my sister started calling my mom "Honey" when she was about 3. And, uh....I don't think you want that.

But I am definitely weirded out by adults who call their parents "Daddy" or "Mommy." There's a podcast I listen to where the hosts address their father as "Daddy" pretty regularly, and it weirds me out every time (fortunately, I love literally everything else about it, so it's only a small annoyance).

Anyway, both of my grandfathers died before I was born, so I can't comment on whether or not they referred to my grandmothers as "Mother" or anything like that. However, my sister does call me "Brother" because she married someone who has the same name as me (although he goes by the full name, and I have gone by a shortened version of it since I was 14 but I guess it's easier to call me by my relationship to her than by the name I prefer)

I seem to have gotten off-track somewhere along the way, but anyway...ummmm...how about Angela Lansbury's wild-ass accent in this movie?

• Like 2

There's a podcast I listen to where the hosts address their father as "Daddy" pretty regularly, and it weirds me out every time (fortunately, I love literally everything else about it, so it's only a small annoyance).

Shot in the Dark: The Adventure Zone?

As far as accents go, from someone who lives in the South and hears a ton of different accents every single day, I wasn’t bothered by it. I honestly didn’t find the ones in Beautiful Creatures to be totally ridiculous either.

• Like 3

The Pet Shop Boys were in Rent? Why didn't this come up in that week's discussion?

• Like 1

giphy.gif

Air Bud is too cool for high-fives

open-uri20150422-12561-wsxaoe_8c57d0d2.jpeg

• Like 4