🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays Week 37 Blue Hawaii

Shot in the Dark: The Adventure Zone?

As far as accents go, from someone who lives in the South and hears a ton of different accents every single day, I wasn’t bothered by it. I honestly didn’t find the ones in Beautiful Creatures to be totally ridiculous either.

That's the one! I actually just started listening to it a few months ago (because someone in my Pathfinder group was like, "Ummm why aren't all you idiots listening to this?). I love everything about it...except for three grown men calling their father "daddy." That's just weird, man.

And I can't put my finger on what it was about Lansbury's accent that stood out. It was a bit over-the-top, but I'm used to that when anyone who isn't from the south plays a character from the south. I think it didn't help that the voice she chose for the character was SUPER nasally. I love Lansbury usually, but this character was....something.

• Like 3

That's the one! I actually just started listening to it a few months ago (because someone in my Pathfinder group was like, "Ummm why aren't all you idiots listening to this?). I love everything about it...except for three grown men calling their father "daddy." That's just weird, man.

And I can't put my finger on what it was about Lansbury's accent that stood out. It was a bit over-the-top, but I'm used to that when anyone who isn't from the south plays a character from the south. I think it didn't help that the voice she chose for the character was SUPER nasally. I love Lansbury usually, but this character was....something.

I love The Adventure Zone. As far as them calling Clint “Daddy” it helps if you think it started out of a facetious goof or something. I never used to call my father “sir” but started doing it sarcastically, and now I do it all the time. I’m not saying that’s what’s going on with the McElroy’s, but maybe.

I’m glad someone else is listening to the Zone, though. I hopped in on maybe episode 5 or 6. I’ve been advocating for it for awhile. I’ll admit, though. I haven’t really listened to anything beyond the “Balance” arc. Griffin started getting on my nerves. And Clint’s superhero thing didn’t really grab me.

If you aren’t already listening to it already, My Brother My Brother and Me is really good. So is Sawbones. Although, HDTGM is the only podcast I really have time for anymore.

Re: Lansbury

I don’t really have an issue with it. I think it’s the same accent she use in The Long, Hot Summer. Where I live, I hear everything from no accent (like me) to incoherent gobbledegook. I just didn’t find it any worse than say Forest Gump, Driving Miss Daisy, or Fried Green Tomatoes. I guess it just didn’t sound “fake” to me. Now whether it’s pleasant on the ears, that’s just a matter of preference;)

• Like 3

I’m glad someone else is listening to the Zone, though. I hopped in on maybe episode 5 or 6. I’ve been advocating for it for awhile. I’ll admit, though. I haven’t really listened to anything beyond the “Balance” arc. Griffin started getting on my nerves. And Clint’s superhero thing didn’t really grab me.

I'm only on the third story arc or so. But it's "Petals to the Metal," which Griffin has said he based on Fast and the Furious. So, like....obviously, all of my other podcasts are on hold until I finish this story.

If you aren’t already listening to it already, My Brother My Brother and Me is really good. So is Sawbones. Although, HDTGM is the only podcast I really have time for anymore.

My Brother My Brother and Me is definitely on my list to check out once I get through this. I think the McElroy brothers are hilarious, and maybe one day, I'll be able to tell Travis' and Justin's voices apart.

no accent (like me)

Well, that's disappointing. I was hoping you sounded like

• Like 3

I think Lansbury's accent wasn't the problem, it's just that everything her character said and did was so damn infuriating, any sound that came out of the character's mouth would have sounded disingenuous. No slight on her, but she was not the most pleasant character to hear opinions come out of.

• Like 4

I'm only on the third story arc or so. But it's "Petals to the Metal," which Griffin has said he based on Fast and the Furious. So, like....obviously, all of my other podcasts are on hold until I finish this story.

My Brother My Brother and Me is definitely on my list to check out once I get through this. I think the McElroy brothers are hilarious, and maybe one day, I'll be able to tell Travis' and Justin's voices apart.

Well, that's disappointing. I was hoping you sounded like

I’m so jealous! You’ve got a lot of cool stuff that’s about to happen. I have to admit, though, “Petals to the Metal” and “Murder on the Rockport Unlimited” are my two favorite arcs. There’s so much good coming up, but those are my absolute favorites. Angus MacDonald 4ever!

• Like 1

I think Lansbury's accent wasn't the problem, it's just that everything her character said and did was so damn infuriating, any sound that came out of the character's mouth would have sounded disingenuous. No slight on her, but she was not the most pleasant character to hear opinions come out of.

I agree, but considering the point of her character is to be obnoxious, I think she’s doing just fine. I mean, her husband threatens to “ring her fool neck” at one point - because in the 60’s, spousal abuse was hilarious.

Also, considering the point Cam brought up about her family actually being from the North, I’m willing to believe that maybe Angela Lansbury (not necessarily the director) was trying to come off as disingenuous - everything about her was artifice, including the accent.

• Like 6

Fewer Anglophone accents have as much potential for hamming it up as a Southern accent ... maybe cockney British or Italian-American.

As far as accents go, from someone who lives in the South and hears a ton of different accents every single day, I wasn’t bothered by it.

All Southern drawls are not equal though. At some points, Elvis had an almost cajun accent which, since he was born in Mississippi and reared in Memphis, is probably closer to his actual drawl. But Deep South Georgia Plantation accents are quite distinct from that ... Lansbury's accent wasn't a bingo but it was pretty close. And the difference between the two of them on screen was a bit distracting.

Plus, if Elvis was raised in Hawaii, it wouldn't matter that he was born in Georgia -- he'd not have that thick of an accent because he would be pulling his diction and syntax from his school classmates and peers more directly than from his parents. He would have an accent but it would be tempered by his environment and the culture on the island.

• Like 3

Where I live, I hear everything from no accent (like me) to incoherent gobbledegook. I just didn’t find it any worse than say Forest Gump, Driving Miss Daisy, or Fried Green Tomatoes.

Were you raised in the South?

I ask because I distinctly remember the moment I decided that I was going to consciously avoid developing a drawl ... the girl who sat behind me in 6th homeroom went from accent-neutral to sounding like the girl from the Shake and Bake commercial over the course of a summer break, which she wore as a badge of baffling pride:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bB7j3sUWohE

I've managed since then to avoid the drawl, mostly ... it sneaks out when I'm mad and shouting, and it's a little noticeable when I'm juxtaposed with non-Southerners. I'm just wondering if you made the same conscious choice.

• Like 5

I ask because I distinctly remember the moment I decided that I was going to consciously avoid developing a drawl ... the girl who sat behind me in 6th homeroom went from accent-neutral to sounding like the girl from the Shake and Bake commercial over the course of a summer break, which she wore as a badge of baffling pride:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bB7j3sUWohE

I've managed since then to avoid the drawl, mostly ... it sneaks out when I'm mad and shouting, and it's a little noticeable when I'm juxtaposed with non-Southerners. I'm just wondering if you made the same conscious choice.

That girl cannot be trusted for even a second. She gave away grandma's secret immediately.

• Like 6

Yes and No. I was born in Canada, but I lived in South Florida until I was 14 - which, admittedly, doesn’t really count as it’s more like being raised in the North. So I never had to make the accent choice. :)

However, after Freshman year, I moved to North Florida which is more “South” - if you get me. Currently, I live in Georgia.

I totally agree about accents not being equal. You’re right about Elvis’ being almost Cajun. Lansbury’s definitely sounds Georgian to my ears. I guess I’m getting silly and defensive about calling some of these accents “bad.” Just because it doesn’t sound like the type of “Southern Accent” a person is familiar with, doesn’t mean it’s a bad accent. It’s like saying an actor doing an Irish accent is doing it poorly because the actor doesn’t sound like the Lucky Charms mascot.

• Like 3

I guess I’m getting silly and defensive about calling some of these accents “bad.” Just because it doesn’t sound like the type of “Southern Accent” a person is familiar with, doesn’t mean it’s a bad accent. It’s like saying an actor doing an Irish accent is doing it poorly because the actor doesn’t sound like the Lucky Charms mascot.

Oh yeah. The accents weren't bad -- Lansbury is an accomplished actress and so she can be trusted with accents, and Elvis' accent is basically just his accent. But the difference between them was distracting at times since they're supposed to be mother/son.

However, after Freshman year, I moved to North Florida which is more “South” - if you get me. Currently, I live in Georgia.

I TOTALLY get you :)

• Like 4

That girl cannot be trusted for even a second. She gave away grandma's secret immediately.

But I do like the father basically saying, "There's no way you made this -- it's delicious."

• Like 6

I've never had Shake and Bake - is it really better than frying?

Long answer: I guess it depends on the quality of the ingredients, the skill of the cook, the type of oil, etc ... because a dumbass cook could fry up rancid chicken using diesel two-stroke oil, in which case one might say they preferred Shake n Bake to fried.

Short answer:

tenor.gif

• Like 6

I've never had Shake and Bake - is it really better than frying?

Its pretty idiot proof and that family seems easily impressed and/or not used to good cooking. But it doesn't taste remotely similar to good fried chicken

• Like 4

I too am from the South.. Western part of Canada.

• Like 7

I too am from the South.. Western part of Canada.

Poser Hoser!

• Like 3

Yes and No. I was born in Canada, but I lived in South Florida until I was 14 - which, admittedly, doesn’t really count as it’s more like being raised in the North. So I never had to make the accent choice. :)

I totally agree about accents not being equal. You’re right about Elvis’ being almost Cajun. Lansbury’s definitely sounds Georgian to my ears. I guess I’m getting silly and defensive about calling some of these accents “bad.” Just because it doesn’t sound like the type of “Southern Accent” a person is familiar with, doesn’t mean it’s a bad accent. It’s like saying an actor doing an Irish accent is doing it poorly because the actor doesn’t sound like the Lucky Charms mascot.

I don't think anyone said they were bad (at least, I went back and checked my posts, and I didn't). I just think it was kind of a lot. I don't think it's inauthentic or anything; it's just...boy is it an accent.

I have a good friend that lives in North Carolina, and he has one of the strongest Southern accents I've ever heard. It's almost cartoonish, and even though I've grown up around all kinds of Southern accents, it kind of makes my head spin for a few minutes whenever I talk to him until I kind of acclimate to it a bit. So that's kind of what I meant. I don't have a problem with her accent; it's just a lot of accent all at once.

Also, when I brought it up, it was kind of a throwaway comment because the post it was in devolved into me rambling about my family. So it was kind of a silly way to bring it back on topic.

• Like 4

I don't think anyone said they were bad (at least, I went back and checked my posts, and I didn't). I just think it was kind of a lot. I don't think it's inauthentic or anything; it's just...boy is it an accent.

I have a good friend that lives in North Carolina, and he has one of the strongest Southern accents I've ever heard. It's almost cartoonish, and even though I've grown up around all kinds of Southern accents, it kind of makes my head spin for a few minutes whenever I talk to him until I kind of acclimate to it a bit. So that's kind of what I meant. I don't have a problem with her accent; it's just a lot of accent all at once.

Also, when I brought it up, it was kind of a throwaway comment because the post it was in devolved into me rambling about my family. So it was kind of a silly way to bring it back on topic.

Ha! No, it’s cool. I got where you were coming from.

• Like 3

I'm from the Southeastern part of Michigan. My hometown's nickname was Ypsitucky. (If that helps. A lot of people came from Kentucky to work in the bomber plant during WWII and stayed after the war.)

• Like 4

In this clip Angela Lansbury talks about her experience filming Blue Hawaii and she slips into her Southern accent. She's still got it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBMLiKDi5oM

Just seven years older than her supposed "son" in this film ... this is why Hollywood can't have nice things.

• Like 6

I just wanted to thank everyone for their amazing insights this week!

BeautifulTepidHummingbird-max-1mb.gif

I’m really looking forward to Tom’s pick tomorrow!

• Like 4

I wanted to get to this earlier but my mother has been busy I guess. Hopefully I'm not to late for the Ted Neeley Handsome Report:

Me: Mom, so last week we watched a movie I don't know if you've seen.

Mom: That's a lot.

Me: We watched the Elvis movie Blue Hawaii

Mom: Nope.

Me: No? Any reason why?

Mom: I don't think I've seen any of his movies.

Me: So you weren't an Elvis fan?

Mom: Not in the least. I guess he's okay. Not for me.

Me: Bit before your time?

Mom: I guess so.

Me: Plus you were more into the Beatles.

Mom: Not really.

Me: What?!? When (my sister) and I found your old record collection there was a ton of Beatles!

Mom: I like their music but I wasn't into them.

Me: Really? Who were you into?

Mom: The Monkees and The Beach Boys

Me: All of them?

Mom: Davy Jones. I don't think I knew any of the Beach Boys or I don't recall.

Me: Brian Wilson.

Mom: Yes.

Mom: He had troubles later.

Mom: Couldn't pick out of a line up. None of them.

Me: So Elvis vs Davy Jones, Davy Jones is the more handsome?

Mom: I was a pre teen so yes.

Me: Then in those teen years it was all Ted Neeley

Mom: I don't know why you like to bring that up.

• Like 3

I wanted to get to this earlier but my mother has been busy I guess. Hopefully I'm not to late for the Ted Neeley Handsome Report:

Me: Mom, so last week we watched a movie I don't know if you've seen.

Mom: That's a lot.

Me: We watched the Elvis movie Blue Hawaii

Mom: Nope.

Me: No? Any reason why?

Mom: I don't think I've seen any of his movies.

Me: So you weren't an Elvis fan?

Mom: Not in the least. I guess he's okay. Not for me.

Me: Bit before your time?

Mom: I guess so.

Me: Plus you were more into the Beatles.

Mom: Not really.

Me: What?!? When (my sister) and I found your old record collection there was a ton of Beatles!

Mom: I like their music but I wasn't into them.

Me: Really? Who were you into?

Mom: The Monkees and The Beach Boys

Me: All of them?

Mom: Davy Jones. I don't think I knew any of the Beach Boys or I don't recall.

Me: Brian Wilson.

Mom: Yes.

Mom: He had troubles later.

Mom: Couldn't pick out of a line up. None of them.

Me: So Elvis vs Davy Jones, Davy Jones is the more handsome?

Mom: I was a pre teen so yes.

Me: Then in those teen years it was all Ted Neeley

Mom: I don't know why you like to bring that up.

LOL - Never change, Cam’s Mother.

• Like 3