🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 187 - Beautiful Creatures

What is the best original song (musicals don't count) in a movie to be sung by one of the stars of the movie?

Are we considering SING STREET, ONCE, or THAT THING YOU DO Musicals or movies about music?

• Like 3

Are we considering SING STREET, ONCE, or THAT THING YOU DO Musicals or movies about music?

Considering That Thing You Do was part of Musical Mondays I'm going to have to say they don't count. I'm talking on the soundtrack, played in the movie but not sung by the character like the RPat or Lena song.

That said Sing Street and Once are beautiful and great movies and everybody should see them and buy the soundtracks.

• Like 4

Well, honestly, I think we're getting into a bit of personal preference territory here. If you're more interested in her magical world more than his - comparatively - boring life, that makes complete sense. Her life as a Caster is one of the main reasons for the story to exist, but it's not the only reason. He's there because this isn't just a paranormal movie - it's a paranormal romance and he's there as the romantic lead. Now, whether or not he works for you in that role, really comes down to a matter of taste. For me personally, he works. I find him charming and their relationship believable.

That's all totally fair and understandable.

Also totally on a personal note, I do highly recommend The Raven Cycle for a series to read, but I hope they never make a movie out of it cause they'll just fuck up what I like about it lol.

• Like 1

I'm talking on the soundtrack, played in the movie but not sung by the character like the RPat or Lena song.

That's such a specific criteria I'm not sure I can think of any besides those two. Zooey Deschanel does a great Smith cover on the 500 Days of Summer soundtrack but her character still sings it a bit in the movie, and then I really like JLaw's Mockingjay song but she sings in the movie too.

You've pushed me into a corner here, Cam.

• Like 3

Considering That Thing You Do was part of Musical Mondays I'm going to have to say they don't count. I'm talking on the soundtrack, played in the movie but not sung by the character like the RPat or Lena song.

I'm having trouble following this. Do you want a diegetic song that isn't performed by a character?

That's such a specific criteria I'm not sure I can think of any besides those two. Zooey Deschanel does a great Smith cover on the 500 Days of Summer soundtrack but her character still sings it a bit in the movie, and then I really like JLaw's Mockingjay song but she sings in the movie too.

You've pushed me into a corner here, Cam.

This is my bad. When Cameron was writing about it earlier I remembered how Russel Crow's band had a song in Virtuosity and Will Smith had a song for a lot of his movies and thought it was more common than maybe it is.

• Like 2

I'm having trouble following this. Do you want a diegetic song that isn't performed by a character?

Sorry, as I said it was kinda of the moment though. I was thinking non diegetic song. Like in Twilight and Beautiful Creatures were are not suppose to assume the song being sung is by the character even though it is the actor or actress singing that song. It just so happens that the actor dabbles in music and they used one of their songs i.e. Agent J is not singing "Men in Black" Will Smith is and the song happens to be in the movie that Will Smith is in.

• Like 2

Oof, guys, I'm about halfway through with the episode and it's abundantly clear that none of you have ever spent any time in the South. And, no, Atlanta doesn't count. The accents aren't as terrible as you're making them out to be, towns like that really do exist, and I actually know people who had to participate in a Civil War re-enactments for school credit.

(I may have more to write about this later. :)/>/> )

My grandmother's family is from Balkin Kentucky(she's a coal miner's daughter and everything) and every time I'm around my "hillbilly cousins " I always end up talking with a twang (as a child i would excitedly say MOMMA I'M SPEAKIN SOUTHERN! ) I know that's more Appalachia than Deep South but it's as close as my Northern ass is ever going to get.

I like your analysis of Macon. I would like to add on to this idea :

Not only is he using an over the top accent but I also think both he and his mother and sister's clothing choices also represent the Old South and being stuck in the past. Their elaborate costumes and sumptuous fabrics are a bit at odds with Lena's more simple choices (her gowns in the film are rather plain and she wears very little jewelry) She's in a state of flux. She could go either way and is trying to suppress herself and not give in to any dark desires. Her cousin on the other hand dresses in an outlandish and provocative manner because she has fully given herself to the dark. After Lean comes into herself at the end you can see she seems much more at home in her clothes and is in a sort of hipster vintage chic which makes me think of how many cities in the south are slowly coming back and becoming places full of young hip people. I know right now Nashville has really becoming the big It city much like Austin was a few years ago.

I have no idea how I am finding so much meaning in this piece of garbage.

• Like 1

I feel like this is at least the 2nd time the topic of Hogwarts houses sorting has come up on the podcast and yet I don't think Jason has actually told us where he got sorted. I'm starting to think he's secretly a Hufflepuff and is ashamed of it.

As a Hufflepuff this makes me very sad.

EMBRACE IT JASON

WE ARE THE BEST HOUSE WE ARE RIGHT NEXT TO KITCHENS BITCH

I like how proximity to snacks is how I determine the best house. (this is not true I have thought long and hard about this and could write a book on each house but for me the ability to be not dead because of whatever tomfoolery Harry Potter is up to, be full of food and able to actually get in my common room without having a nervous breakdown over a riddle / being surrounded by other people who are equally as high strung as I am in a place that I suspect would have very good nap spots is very important. )

• Like 4

What is the best original song (musicals don't count) in a movie to be sung by one of the stars of the movie?

I have to bend the rules a little. Life Aquatic with Seu Jorge covering Bowie songs in Portuguese,

• Like 1

Ok I just realized something: Why did Lena's second forgetting spell break? Was it because he crossed over the town line? (which I think was implied by the movie) Didn't Len know that was his dream to move out of town? Wasn't that precisely what she wanted for him? She made that big voice about wanting him to live and explore the world or whatever. Did it break because he left town or because he was moving too far from her, or because he was by the sign where he took her? She knew her first spell broke so why did't she try to make sure this one was stronger? Or did she just expect him to stay in Gatlin forever? Did she not even bother to double check this spell? She's supposed to be this super strong witch if she can't even get a simple forgetting spell right I don't know how powerful she really is. Unless she wanted him to remember her? In which case Damn girl that is one way to mess with your ex.

Furthermore if i were Ethan I would be SO pissed off. Not only has my girlfriend (by now my EX girlfriend) fucked with my mind once SHE'S DONE IT MULTIPLE TIMES. Who knows what else she's done! I would never be able to get over that . This is some straight up Willow/ Tara Season 6 shit.

Also Why was Amma ok with it the second time around? Did Lena magic her memory too this time?

• Like 3

Ok I just realized something: Why did Lena's second forgetting spell break? Was it because he crossed over the town line? (which I think was implied by the movie) Didn't Len know that was his dream to move out of town? Wasn't that precisely what she wanted for him? She made that big voice about wanting him to live and explore the world or whatever. Did it break because he left town or because he was moving too far from her, or because he was by the sign where he took her? She knew her first spell broke so why did't she try to make sure this one was stronger? Or did she just expect him to stay in Gatlin forever? Did she not even bother to double check this spell? She's supposed to be this super strong witch if she can't even get a simple forgetting spell right I don't know how powerful she really is. Unless she wanted him to remember her? In which case Damn girl that is one way to mess with your ex.

Furthermore if i were Ethan I would be SO pissed off. Not only has my girlfriend (by now my EX girlfriend) fucked with my mind once SHE'S DONE IT MULTIPLE TIMES. Who knows what else she's done! I would never be able to get over that . This is some straight up Willow/ Tara Season 6 shit.

Also Why was Amma ok with it the second time around? Did Lena magic her memory too this time?

What I got out of that scene was that the Darkness inside of her broke the spell - which is why her eye glows like Ridley’s just before it happens. However, I don’t necessarily think her Dark side was being “Evil,” more like selfish. Her Light Side knows that Ethan should go, her Dark Side wants him to stay. It’s just showing that even though she’s claimed both the Dark and the Light for herself, it’s not really a true balance - it may never be. Inside of her, the two sides are still vying for control.

• Like 4

As a Hufflepuff this makes me very sad.

EMBRACE IT JASON

WE ARE THE BEST HOUSE WE ARE RIGHT NEXT TO KITCHENS BITCH

I like how proximity to snacks is how I determine the best house. (this is not true I have thought long and hard about this and could write a book on each house but for me the ability to be not dead because of whatever tomfoolery Harry Potter is up to, be full of food and able to actually get in my common room without having a nervous breakdown over a riddle / being surrounded by other people who are equally as high strung as I am in a place that I suspect would have very good nap spots is very important. )

I have been a long and hard Gryffindor for my entire Harry Potter career and finally I have come to terms with the fact that I am in fact a Hufflepuff. It was when I was discussing this with friends and I said that I want to stand up for the oppressed and swing some punches in a certain direction but if anyone were to yell at me I would probably cry, and my friend was like "That's the most Hufflepuff thing."

So now anytime someone shits on Hufflepuffs (like it's always) I always wanna jump in and be like "EVERY HOUSE HAS EXCELLENT QUALITIES THIS ISN'T A CONTEST EVEN THOUGH THERE WERE LITERALLY HOUSE COMPETITIONS BUT SHE KINDA DICTATED WHO WOULD WIN EVERY TIME"

• Like 3

I sort of understood it that seeing the sign shocked him back into reality (you know, the reality where most people were probably saying "whatever happened to you and Lena?") BUT I like the idea that the spell had a parameter around the town and by crossing the threshold he instantly remembered. It's as logical as anything else in this movie.

• Like 1

What I got out of that scene was that the Darkness inside of her broke the spell - which is why her eye glows like Ridley’s just before it happens. However, I don’t necessarily think her Dark side was being “Evil,” more like selfish. Her Light Side knows that Ethan should go, her Dark Side wants him to stay. It’s just showing that even though she’s claimed both the Dark and the Light for herself, it’s not really a true balance - it may never be. Inside of her, the two sides are still vying for control.

Oh and IIRC only one eye was glowing, right? As if she's only half dark.

• Like 2

Oh and IIRC only one eye was glowing, right? As if she's only half dark.

giphy.gif

• Like 3

Lena mentions in an almost throwaway line that Macon used to be Dark but changed so he could watch over her. Then someone at Thanksgiving tells Ridley to leave because once she's Dark, she's not allowed back home.

So...if Dark Casters aren't allowed "back home," then why has Macon stayed at the Ravenwood place? And while I understand that men can change between dark and light but women can't (*GROAN*), it seems like a pretty flimsy setup since Lena is almost 16 and has bounced from place to place. Why didn't Macon try raising her somewhere else? Or did he move around with her and that's why he hadn't been seen in decades?

(I should add that I know LENA moved around; I just can't remember if Macon was with her.)

• Like 1

I have been a long and hard Gryffindor for my entire Harry Potter career and finally I have come to terms with the fact that I am in fact a Hufflepuff. It was when I was discussing this with friends and I said that I want to stand up for the oppressed and swing some punches in a certain direction but if anyone were to yell at me I would probably cry, and my friend was like "That's the most Hufflepuff thing."

So now anytime someone shits on Hufflepuffs (like it's always) I always wanna jump in and be like "EVERY HOUSE HAS EXCELLENT QUALITIES THIS ISN'T A CONTEST EVEN THOUGH THERE WERE LITERALLY HOUSE COMPETITIONS BUT SHE KINDA DICTATED WHO WOULD WIN EVERY TIME"

I thought I was a Ravenclaw for the longest time since I am the kind of person who will go on Wikipedia/ scholarly paper binges for fun but I would die surrounded by all those overachievers. The fact that I was just saying "Yes! Exactly!!!" so emphatically it woke the cat (and then apologized to said cat. Who happens to be named Albus though I did not name him) to everything you just wrote might be the most Hufflepuff thing I've ever done.

• Like 1

Lena mentions in an almost throwaway line that Macon used to be Dark but changed so he could watch over her. Then someone at Thanksgiving tells Ridley to leave because once she's Dark, she's not allowed back home.

So...if Dark Casters aren't allowed "back home," then why has Macon stayed at the Ravenwood place? And while I understand that men can change between dark and light but women can't (*GROAN*), it seems like a pretty flimsy setup since Lena is almost 16 and has bounced from place to place. Why didn't Macon try raising her somewhere else? Or did he move around with her and that's why he hadn't been seen in decades?

Macon mentioned something along the lines of how Lena being in Gatlin provided her protection. Not sure how.

• Like 3

(I should add that I know LENA moved around; I just can't remember if Macon was with her.)

When he meets with Amma at her Uncle's grave, she tells him things haven't felt right since he brought "that girl." He tells her that Sarafine has been shadowing Lena for a year and that Gatlin is "the only place left I have to protect her." So I think he's been traveling with her since at least a little while.

ETA: Tom beat me to it.

tenor.gif?itemid=5485872

• Like 3

I never got the impression that you could just flip-flop alignments willy-nilly. You are whatever you choose to be at your claiming. Macon was still Dark, he just wasn’t acting on his Dark impulses - which is why he was allowed to be there.

Welcome to the boards :)

• Like 3

• Like 2

Clearly any and all Dragon Sound songs from Miami Connection!

• Like 2