🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Jerzy Bondov

Off week show ideas

Just listening to the Live and Let Die episode, and let me be the first listener to heartily endorse the idea of the off week show on Smokey and The Bandit. Frankly, while I like James Bond, what I keep tuning into the podcast for is the interaction between the Matts. I'd probably listen to these two discuss pretty much any topic (so long as it isn't Frasier)! Perhaps I am an outlier, but I would definitely prefer off week shows that stray a bit from "Bond," rather than week after week of speculation on what Danny Boyle might or might not do with the next Bond. For example, I would love off week shows on lesser espionage/assassin films of the 1970s -- in particular, I believe that the highly watchable, but disturbingly sexist, racist and homophobic film, The Eiger Sanction, would make a great episode. This episode might particularly benefit from including some younger comedians/podcasters who are seeing this film for the first time. Further, I'd love to see an episode on the film, Marathon Man, perhaps with a co-host like Amy Nicholson, who can bring some gravitas and historical perspective to the discussion. And while you've touched on John Le Carre in past episodes, I'd love to listen to some off week episodes that delve further into the Le Carre oeuvre; for example, perhaps an episode comparing and contrasting the 1970s era Tinker Tailor miniseries with the more recent Hollywood remake (although perhaps this is too wonky for the podcast).

In any event, I just want to again heartily endorse the concept of off week shows that deviate from Bond, and that delve into "related" areas. Am I alone in this belief?

Just updating this post to allay any concerns about traversing too far afield from Bond with a quote from Henry James: "Really, universally, relations stop nowhere, and the exquisite problem of the artist is eternally but to draw, by a geometry of his own, the circle within which they shall happily appear to do so."

• Like 1

Frankly, while I like James Bond, what I keep tuning into the podcast for is the interaction between the Matts. I'd probably listen to these two discuss pretty much any topic (so long as it isn't Frasier)! Perhaps I am an outlier, but I would definitely prefer off week shows that stray a bit from "Bond," rather than week after week of speculation on what Danny Boyle might or might do with the next Bond.

I agree, and I'll take it a step further and say that I really don't care about James Bond at all. I'd say 90% of what I know about the franchise is from this podcast, but I love the show for the exact reason above. Among the ideas they've discussed, I'd really like shows on the Indiana Jones and Austin Powers franchises.

Sign in to follow this