🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Ofcoursemyhorse

Domestic Disturbance (2001)

LOOOOVED the scenes where Vince Vaughn is intimidating the son. He's so over the top and arch its just a shame he doesnt have a moustache to twirl.

Bumping this again, it's a genuinely terrible movie. This movie came out the same year as Swordfish and he has the same hair in both movies minus the soul patch. Which almost gives the impression that his character in this movie is just one more of the personas he adopted in Swordfish, 

I can't do justice to how hilarious the scenes are between Vaughn and his stepson in the movie. He goes from sugary sweet when the mom is in the room to almost instantaneously becoming cartoonishly rude when he's alone with the kid. 

Then theres the ending where they essentially use a miscarriage as a plot device in order to apparently make it more of a happier ending because Teri Polo was no longer pregnant with Vaughn's baby. 

It's interesting to see the various times Vaughn has played a villain or antihero as it really is a mixed bag. I thought he did well in Psycho as Norman Bates but that may have been due to that movie being a one to one remake, then you have this over the top performance, and then you have his amazing performance in Brawl In Cell Block 99. Also I remember shaking my head when at the scene when I think it was a deputy was checking the incinerator that Buscemi was burned in and saw that there were bones and proof of something being burned up in it that wasn't supposed to be, but said he didn't think it was necessary to check what it was and was probably an animal or something, like seriously there are BONES in the incinerator and as a cop you kind of have a duty to verify that shit. I also found it funny that they used a blanket term of racketeering for the crime that Vaughn committed as part of a four man crew in Chicago, which I didn't think was possible as that is a charge usually relegated to the actual mob made up of dozens, if not hundreds, of people.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, RyanSz said:

It's interesting to see the various times Vaughn has played a villain or antihero as it really is a mixed bag. I thought he did well in Psycho as Norman Bates but that may have been due to that movie being a one to one remake, then you have this over the top performance, and then you have his amazing performance in Brawl In Cell Block 99. Also I remember shaking my head when at the scene when I think it was a deputy was checking the incinerator that Buscemi was burned in and saw that there were bones and proof of something being burned up in it that wasn't supposed to be, but said he didn't think it was necessary to check what it was and was probably an animal or something, like seriously there are BONES in the incinerator and as a cop you kind of have a duty to verify that shit. I also found it funny that they used a blanket term of racketeering for the crime that Vaughn committed as part of a four man crew in Chicago, which I didn't think was possible as that is a charge usually relegated to the actual mob made up of dozens, if not hundreds, of people.

He's a great actor, his performance in the movie is easily one of the highlights despite how over the top it is. I'd forgotten how vaguely they described his crimes in the movie. They didnt make any mention of Vaughn or any of his associates as belonging to any kind of criminal organization. So they just seem like white collar criminals, and apparently Vaughn was acquitted but was still willing to commit murder to apparently avoid embarrassment? 

Its incredible how little effort the police put into investigating a claim of murder. Like even if the cop didn't want to do the work of having forensics go over the incinerator, he could have just done the bare minimum of doing a background check on Vaughn. He invented a new persona after he was acquitted so he wouldnt have had any information prior to his arrest which would be a major red flag. So the detectives in this movie come across as absurdly lazy morons. 

9 minutes ago, Ofcoursemyhorse said:

He's a great actor, his performance in the movie is easily one of the highlights despite how over the top it is. I'd forgotten how vaguely they described his crimes in the movie. They didnt make any mention of Vaughn or any of his associates as belonging to any kind of criminal organization. So they just seem like white collar criminals, and apparently Vaughn was acquitted but was still willing to commit murder to apparently avoid embarrassment? 

Its incredible how little effort the police put into investigating a claim of murder. Like even if the cop didn't want to do the work of having forensics go over the incinerator, he could have just done the bare minimum of doing a background check on Vaughn. He invented a new persona after he was acquitted so he wouldnt have had any information prior to his arrest which would be a major red flag. So the detectives in this movie come across as absurdly lazy morons. 

Yeah the way Buscemi talked it made it seem like Vaughn turned state's evidence or that he was a lot better at hiding the trail of his crimes, hence his ability to throw money around town to curry favor with the locals. Someone like Buscemi coming in and causing problems could really effect either Vaughn's attempt at starting anew with a family or more likely given his short fuse, cause him to have to relocate and start over again if word got out for how he got his wealth.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, RyanSz said:

Yeah the way Buscemi talked it made it seem like Vaughn turned state's evidence or that he was a lot better at hiding the trail of his crimes, hence his ability to throw money around town to curry favor with the locals. Someone like Buscemi coming in and causing problems could really effect either Vaughn's attempt at starting anew with a family or more likely given his short fuse, cause him to have to relocate and start over again if word got out for how he got his wealth.

I know its a common movie cliche but it hilarious how Vince Vaughn figured the best way to reinvent himself was to become one of the most high profile people in the town where he was trying to start over. 

Double Jeopardy has my favorite example of this where Bruce Greenwood fakes his own death/ disappearance twice before showing up in New Orleans and seems to become one of the most recognizable people in Louisiana.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ofcoursemyhorse said:

I know its a common movie cliche but it hilarious how Vince Vaughn figured the best way to reinvent himself was to become one of the most high profile people in the town where he was trying to start over. 

Double Jeopardy has my favorite example of this where Bruce Greenwood fakes his own death/ disappearance twice before showing up in New Orleans and seems to become one of the most recognizable people in Louisiana.

I think both of these movies are favorites of John McAfee and his how he modeled the recent years of his life.

• Like 1

John Mcafee's life story is essentially the real life equivalent of the caricature of Bill Gates in Anti-Trust. If they ever reboot The Fugitive franchise they should base it on his life.

10 minutes ago, Ofcoursemyhorse said:

John Mcafee's life story is essentially the real life equivalent of the caricature of Bill Gates in Anti-Trust. If they ever reboot The Fugitive franchise they should base it on his life.

Isn't that awful looking Fugitive show on Qubi based on the old show and movie?

Hadn't even heard about that. Very disappointing that Quibi was the platform they decided to launch on with tiny episodes rather than making it an hour long show. 

U.S. Marshals wasn't the best movie ever but I can almost guarantee its better than this is. 

21 minutes ago, Ofcoursemyhorse said:

Hadn't even heard about that. Very disappointing that Quibi was the platform they decided to launch on with tiny episodes rather than making it an hour long show. 

U.S. Marshals wasn't the best movie ever but I can almost guarantee its better than this is. 

And from everything I've read about it and the trailers, it isn't like the two films where it first appears that the main character could have been guilty of the crime they're accused of, based on evidence shown to authorities, this new series is paper thin in that regard. Basically the guy is an ex-con and is at a subway that has a bombing take place, and when the FBI is looking through video surveillance, the lead agent Kiefer Sutherland sees this dude and says "it must have been him" and then the chase is on. This is also a judgement on social media fueling a given narrative without all of the evidence leading to a "trial by hashtag."

• Like 1

On 9/15/2020 at 8:59 PM, RyanSz said:

And from everything I've read about it and the trailers, it isn't like the two films where it first appears that the main character could have been guilty of the crime they're accused of, based on evidence shown to authorities, this new series is paper thin in that regard. Basically the guy is an ex-con and is at a subway that has a bombing take place, and when the FBI is looking through video surveillance, the lead agent Kiefer Sutherland sees this dude and says "it must have been him" and then the chase is on. This is also a judgement on social media fueling a given narrative without all of the evidence leading to a "trial by hashtag."

Its amazing how a doctor faking medical trials and then hiring his one armed fishing buddy to assassinate multiple people including an in his prime Harrison Ford is somehow less nonsensical than this reboot.

Sign in to follow this