🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 188 - Body Rock: LIVE!

HDTGM Crossover alert - Body Rock and Glitter exist in the same universe.

https://youtu.be/899fdwycKEw?t=25m25s

Starting at around 25:25, Dice turns down a contract offer from Gary of Tough Riot(?) Records who "just signed Chilly D."

I feel so gross for knowing any of this.

• Like 11

HDTGM Crossover alert - Body Rock and Glitter exist in the same universe.

https://youtu.be/899fdwycKEw?t=25m25s

Starting at around 25:25, Dice turns down a contract offer from Gary of Tough Riot(?) Records who "just signed Chilly D."

I feel so gross for knowing any of this.

Well, I guess that wraps up C&Os for the week. I mean, no one’s going to beat this, right?

Great catch, burrhaz!

• Like 7

I started watching the movie again and Chilly immediately ditches his friends at minute 42.

Everything I wrote about him being not selfish in the beginning of the movie goes down the drain 2 minutes after I called quits lol! But that just makes me ask... why? Was it really just the rush of working in this successful club? One minute he's telling his friends about how he told Terrence he's gonna get a DJ and a Rapper and the next he's just getting into a limo and ditching them. There's no signs of true motivation that he would have done that.

Dang this movie sucks.

• Like 5

I agree with june i was with a gal and we saw some breakdancing and i didnt stop or watch cuz who cares the best stuff is on youtube if i need it

Question:

Is Luigi from Super Mario Bros. not white? When Alison said that I instantly went over in my head the hundreds of times I've seen that character and was instantly confused.

Also, since the gang from It's Always Sunny have a habit of loving horrible pop culture thinking it's cool, is it safe to assume they got their mindset that dusters are cool from Chilly?

bZkpOzV.jpgLEq3XhC.jpg

FittingUnevenChafer-max-1mb.gif

And apparently the collar popping is not a character choice but a way of the actor's life as apparently he still does this

lorenzo-lamas.jpg and this is just one of many shown on Google. Also with the talk about Lamas' dong size, I guess now I know why when I saw him at a comic convention a couple years ago he had a wheelbarrow under his table.

• Like 5

Question:

Is Luigi from Super Mario Bros. not white? When Alison said that I instantly went over in my head the hundreds of times I've seen that character and was instantly confused.

So I just read something EXTREMELY interesting that I didn't know about beforehand, because I too was very confused about when Italians started saying they were not white but here's what I read:

Italians, Jews, and Slavs were considered non-white in popular political discourse of the late 19th and early 20th century, and this discourse grew very influential in the anti-immigration movement, leading eventually, in the 1920s, to severe restrictions against entry of supposedly "non-white" groups to this country. This popular pseudo-science made it into the pages of the Saturday Evening Post and other magazines, supporting immigration restrictions against the "Alpine" and the "Mediterranean" races, described as the long-skulled, slow, peasant stock people of Central Europe, etc. Most of these immigrants were not running around in the 19th and early 20th century proudly announcing that they're Italian Americans or Slavic Americans because at the time, it was often very dangerous and at least a disadvantage to be identified that way. I think we call these groups an ethnicity and not a race now, because those categories have actually changed. This is due in large part to a series of policy decisions that gave some groups certain advantages in the 1930s, '40s, and '50s, allowing them to be part of an ever-expanding "white" race. The political context and the power context changes. Ethnicity, like race, takes on different meanings.

So I had no idea the government with their ever lasting xenophobia had classified these backgrounds as non-white to justify the bigotry but I'm honestly not surprised. The thing is, which is pointed out at the end of this paragraph, that did all change. I now understand why Italians have been saying this, but I still think that when I hear modern Italians claim racism it's a bit of a slap in the face to people of color living in 2018. I'm not saying that there aren't non-white Italians, because that would be ignorant, but I've heard some very pasty white people recently tell me they're not white because they're Italian and I hate to break it to them but their skin color provides them with white privilege.

Anyway, not trying to start a politically charged debate at all! It was something that I also found odd when I first heard it and wanted to do some proper research onto why I've been hearing that more and more lately!

• Like 3

The thing is, which is pointed out at the end of this paragraph, that did all change. I now understand why Italians have been saying this, but I still think that when I hear modern Italians claim racism it's a bit of a slap in the face to people of color living in 2018. I'm not saying that there aren't non-white Italians, because that would be ignorant, but I've heard some very pasty white people recently tell me they're not white because they're Italian and I hate to break it to them but their skin color provides them with white privilege.

Has it though? Now, let me be the first to say that i am a white man, and that i absolutely believe that white privilege is a thing that is real, and that there are things happening today to POC that do not happen to me, because i'm white.

BUT, i'm also pretty sure that i f i ever went to the US, i would not " read " as white, because in the US ( and i believe this still happens today ) unless you're blond with blue eyes and pasty skin, you're " ethnic ". So, even today, someone who is white may still be seen as being a Latino, or an EYEtalian ( or, like a charming gentleman once screamed at me at work, a " Taliban " ), and have weird ish happen to them.

Never underestimate people being stupid and/or racist.

• Like 1

When Disney had "the Rock in Moana" sing, they weren't telling him to wing it, since it wasn't the first, or even the second, time that he had sung a song in a movie:

• Like 3

The Wayne's World Song -

It immediately caught my attention early on in the movie when the song "Why You Wanna Break My Heart" was on in the background in the club (it plays again in the ending credits as well).

This song is featured prominently in the 90s classic Waynes World and I had no idea it was a cover song and not an original number from "Crucial Taunt".

Sure, Tia Carrere covered Ballroom Blitz when Wayne first meets Cassandra, but it seemed like "Why You Wanna Break my Heart" had been tailor made to fit the onscreen rift that was growing between Cassandra and Wayne.

I had no idea it was a cover song, from the Body Rock soundtrack of all places.

Quite the revelation...

https://youtu.be/BGgv7je87hw

• Like 6

Also, for the Twin Peaks Fans among us...

(WARNING : SPOILERS IF YOU HAVEN"T SEEN TWIN PEAKS : THE RETURN)

So, seeing Grace Zabriskie, does indeed make me immediately think of her role as Sarah Palmer on Twin Peaks (as Jason so kindly pointed out in the episode).

Going a step further, for those who have seen Twin Peaks : The Return, I laughed at the idea that with Cooper resetting the timeline at the end, and wiping out Laura Palmer and Sarah Palmer from existing, we never saw what happened to Sarah Palmer (until now)!

You have Laura Palmer turned into "Carrie Page" out in Texas (as we see on the show) but what happened to Sarah Palmer??

We last see her frantically smashing the picture of her daughter as the timeline is reset and then...voila...

She wakes up in the 1980s New York of Body Rock, still instinctively...compulsively smoking cigarettes and watching TV (which she does about 99% of the time in Twin Peaks : The Return).

But now, in this new timeline, she has given birth to a whole other entity...

Her son CHILLY!!!

• Like 1

On Chilly repeated things he's heard other people say...this might be a crazy idea, but is it possible that this is where the Coen Brothers got the idea to have the Dude repeat stuff he's heard other people say in the Big Lebowski?

• Like 3

By the way, here is the break dancing video of Fik-Shun that Paul plays mid-episode.

• Like 1

I watched Body Rock in amazement. It seemed to be a movie; there were characters talking and moving, but it drained out of my consciousness as fast as I watched. I had tickets to the show, and I was wondering how they could make this nothing of a movie into a funny show. Wow! The fact that I had one of the great times of my life watching a podcast about this movie proves that HDTGM rules!

I was considering asking a question afterwards, but since this movie was such a muddle I couldn't think of anything to ask. Now I wish I had asked two questions:

1. Who was worse, 'Chilly' from Body Rock or 'Tony' from Staying Alive?

2. (For June) Was Chilly 'oozing sexuality' in his love scene with Claire? (we know what Paul would say!)

And seeing June lose it after Paul said 'massive erection' was worth the price of the ticket all by itself :)

• Like 3

So I just read something EXTREMELY interesting that I didn't know about beforehand, because I too was very confused about when Italians started saying they were not white but here's what I read:

So I had no idea the government with their ever lasting xenophobia had classified these backgrounds as non-white to justify the bigotry but I'm honestly not surprised. The thing is, which is pointed out at the end of this paragraph, that did all change. I now understand why Italians have been saying this, but I still think that when I hear modern Italians claim racism it's a bit of a slap in the face to people of color living in 2018. I'm not saying that there aren't non-white Italians, because that would be ignorant, but I've heard some very pasty white people recently tell me they're not white because they're Italian and I hate to break it to them but their skin color provides them with white privilege.

Anyway, not trying to start a politically charged debate at all! It was something that I also found odd when I first heard it and wanted to do some proper research onto why I've been hearing that more and more lately!

I kinda remember the dialogue between Dennis Hopper and Christopher Walken in True Romance in regards to Italians being basically light-skinned POC, but at the time I just took it as Hopper's character trying to get himself killed in order to protect his son. It was just weird hearing connected to Luigi who might be the whitest video game character outside of the Rabbids. Though what is without questions is his apparent love of tennis, as shown by the bulge he sports when playing.

Screen-Shot-2018-03-16-at-11.44.25-am.png

• Like 2

I kinda remember the dialogue between Dennis Hopper and Christopher Walken in True Romance in regards to Italians being basically light-skinned POC, but at the time I just took it as Hopper's character trying to get himself killed in order to protect his son. It was just weird hearing connected to Luigi who might be the whitest video game character outside of the Rabbids. Though what is without questions is his apparent love of tennis, as shown by the bulge he sports when playing.

Screen-Shot-2018-03-16-at-11.44.25-am.png

Brings a new meaning to "Hard Court".

• Like 3

So Chilly cons his way into Terrence Mitchell's office to see if he would represent him and his crew as graffiti artists. The conversation that Mitchell has on the phone after he blows off Chilly is hilarious:

"Donald!... How are you? Yeah… well we moved in the sound system but they broke a speaker. So we had to replace that. These things always happen when you’re opening a night club. What do you mean! I still have to go from club to club and look at some DJs and figure out which ones are the best and offer them … you know…good money! Yes, we have to get together and we have to discuss what we’re going to do. I mean we either have a houseband or some dancers or… you gotta spice things up, that’s right. Ok… alright… talk to you later, bye. "

I guess I don't really have a comment, this is just such an 80s guy conversation.

safety_dance_futurama.gif

Also. I cannot get over how legitimately cool this sequence is:

• Like 4

When Disney had "the Rock in Moana" sing, they weren't telling him to wing it, since it wasn't the first, or even the second, time that he had sung a song in a movie:

Dude sang a bunch of times when he wrestled too

• Like 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nadQ4a6RObQ

The "Teamwork montage" shows Chilly and Magic learning to dance seemingly across Manhatten, but mostly they are just in Midtown. They are shown near St. Patrick's Cathedral, the Central Park Zoo, the Roosevelt Island Tramway, Times square... all in midtown... and then suddenly they are in The World Trade Center plaza, which is lower Manhatten and is kind of far. It would probably take you an hour to walk there, 15 minutes or so on the subway depending on the time of day. There is a brief shot of them on the subway before we get to the twin towers and I guess it is supposed to explain how they got there, but is a little lazy since it was clearly supposed to be a part of the second "learning to breakdance" scene (ahem... they are wearing the same clothes as that scene.)

Anyways... montages aren't necessarily supposed to be taken literally, but they would have been doing a lot of hoofing that day in between all the sweet breakin'. That being said, the clip of them at the Twin towers is a pretty cool shot taken from a low angle to really show their height... eerie as it may be to modern audiences it was still kind of neat.

40280182920_a0e06c5365_o.png

Edit: any New Yorkers please correct me if I have these locations wrong.

• Like 5

So Chilly cons his way into Terrence Mitchell's office to see if he would represent him and his crew as graffiti artists. The conversation that Mitchell has on the phone after he blows off Chilly is hilarious:

"Donald!... How are you? Yeah… well we moved in the sound system but they broke a speaker. So we had to replace that. These things always happen when you’re opening a night club. What do you mean! I still have to go from club to club and look at some DJs and figure out which ones are the best and offer them … you know…good money! Yes, we have to get together and we have to discuss what we’re going to do. I mean we either have a houseband or some dancers or… you gotta spice things up, that’s right. Ok… alright… talk to you later, bye. "

I guess I don't really have a comment, this is just such an 80s guy conversation.

So you’re saying Terrence will eventually succumb to boneitis? RIP

• Like 5

In the episode, the panel mentioned Sheila's wavy eyebrows and I just wanted to mention that wavy eyebrows made a small wave (ha) last year in the makeup community. A lot of the Youtube beauty gurus did tutorials on wavy eyebrows (then came wavy lips, braided eyebrows, feathered eyebrows, you name it). I never saw any of these IRL, but it was a fad for a bit online. Who knew we had The Chorus Line's Sheila to thank for this trend?

S98ZZAd.png

• Like 4

Mother's Day convo with my mom:

Me: Have you seen Body Rock? It came out in 1984.

Mom: Never heard of it I don't think.

Me: It was a break dancing movie.

Mom: Then no.

Me: Also starred Lorenzo Lamas.

Mom: Then definitely no. I tried to avoid things I knew were going to be shit.

Also happy Mother's Day, June!!!

• Like 5

Has it though? Now, let me be the first to say that i am a white man, and that i absolutely believe that white privilege is a thing that is real, and that there are things happening today to POC that do not happen to me, because i'm white.

BUT, i'm also pretty sure that i f i ever went to the US, i would not " read " as white, because in the US ( and i believe this still happens today ) unless you're blond with blue eyes and pasty skin, you're " ethnic ". So, even today, someone who is white may still be seen as being a Latino, or an EYEtalian ( or, like a charming gentleman once screamed at me at work, a " Taliban " ), and have weird ish happen to them.

Never underestimate people being stupid and/or racist.

So I'll definitely clarify that I am the whitest of the white as well. For those that have seen photos of me, and have met me in person, know that I am blue eyed and blonde and actually got mistaken in Reykjavic as being a local (legit this guy tried to speak Icelandic to me and I was like oh no no no), so I'll be the first to say that I have absolutely no idea what it is truly like for people of color in this country.

But I believe that ethnicity and race get confused with each other more than we think, and in that sense I have to disagree with you. Only because a lot of my friend group have Eastern European roots (there is a large Czech population in Texas) and they all have dark hair and dark eyes and none of them would ever say they experience any kind of prejudice against them for that in this country, because their skin is still white. There is a different kind of prejudice here than I see in Europe, which I believe does have more to do with where you are from rather than solely the color of your skin, but here I never see someone get put on blast if they have dark hair and dark eyes. I mean take Melania Trump, for example, she is an immigrant from Eastern Europe but she is considered the "right kind" of immigrant because she's white. No one seems to have a problem with her, but if an immigrant's skin is any darker than hers then holy shit there needs to be a ban or a wall or whatever else kind of racist thing they want to throw around.

Again, I'm probably not even the right person to talk on this subject. I recognize the privilege that comes with being white, blonde, and blue-eyed. But I also want to stick up for the POC in this country and we just do not see white people that even have dark hair treated anything like the way latinx, Muslim, and black people are treated. Although the Jewish population has been under attack again because of the rise of the alt-right but they've been targeting those with Jewish last names rather than what they look like.

Also, you're so right that I should never underestimate racism in ignorant people lol.

• Like 2

The Wayne's World Song -

It immediately caught my attention early on in the movie when the song "Why You Wanna Break My Heart" was on in the background in the club (it plays again in the ending credits as well).

This song is featured prominently in the 90s classic Waynes World and I had no idea it was a cover song and not an original number from "Crucial Taunt".

Sure, Tia Carrere covered Ballroom Blitz when Wayne first meets Cassandra, but it seemed like "Why You Wanna Break my Heart" had been tailor made to fit the onscreen rift that was growing between Cassandra and Wayne.

I had no idea it was a cover song, from the Body Rock soundtrack of all places.

Quite the revelation...

https://youtu.be/BGgv7je87hw

Yes! This retroactively makes me question Cassandra's talent, as it turns out that all of the songs she performs in Wayne's World are covers:

"Fire" by Jimi Hendrix (this is actually what she plays when Wayne first sees her)

"Ballroom Blitz" by Sweet (the final performance in Wayne's basement that gets her the record deal . . . or burns down Wayne's house, depending on which ending you accept)

And this one too?! Did you actually write any songs of your own, Cassandra?

• Like 3