đź”’ The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... Ă—
JulyDiaz

Episode 188 - Body Rock: LIVE!

Y'all we've been talking about the Grease references and how we all thought he was ripping off Danny's vibe in this, but I can not believe none of us mentioned that Lorenzo Lamas was in Grease!!! He played "Tom Chisum" who I had absolutely no memory of, but when I talked about this with my mom she said he was Sandy's jock boyfriend that Danny was jealous of. This breaks a whole new light on Lorenzo literally now embodying a character he probably was dying to be the whole time. Sorry Lorenzo, but you ain't no John Travolta.

• Like 6

I'm still pissed they said one of them did magic and YET I SAW NO MAGIC. NOTHING NOT EVEN A QUARTER OUT OF AN EAR

I think this was brought up in the episode too, but none of the members of Body Rock actually do “magic.” I think the confusion is, after the scene where Chilly gets them the audition, EZ (the rapper) asks him what they’re going to do to impress the suits. Chilly says:

”You’re the DJ - the scratcher. Jam is the rapper. Magic, Ricky Ricardo, Snake - they’re the breakers!”

However, the way he delivers the names of the “breakers,” it sounds like he’s saying, “Magic: Ricky Ricardo” as if “magic” is what Ricky is bringing to the table.

It’s just one of the many dangers of choosing a nickname that can be used as both a noun and a verb.

• Like 3

I know June mentioned how it was the least Chilly could do to put Body Rock on the guest list to get in the club, and I completely agree with her, but I would just like to point out, the bouncer wasn’t just denying them entrance for shits-and-giggles. He just wasn’t letting them in “for free.”

When he denies them entry, one of the Body Rockers says, “You let me inside. I find Chilly. I bring him out, and he can straighten the whole thing out.” To which the bouncer replies, “If you want to go inside, you’ll have to pay the $15 bucks.” I mean, shit, he wasn’t even asking them to get back in line. Afterward, one of them asks, “Did anyone call Chilly to make sure we were on the list?” And someone else replies, “I couldn’t get in touch with him...”

You mean to tell me, you just showed up - unannounced - to the hottest nightclub in town - without invitation - and have the freaking gall to give the bouncer, a guy just doing fucking his job, a hard time? Just pay the $15 dollars you pissy little moochers! Go inside and straighten it out with your boy; otherwise, go hit the fucking bricks.

• Like 4

Just a Lorenzo Lamas related question. Did anyone actually watch Renegade? I mean on purpose, not because they left the TV on after Quantum Leap reruns.

• Like 5

It's like midnight and my cat just woke up because i had such a visceral reaction to this image. I just said in such a strained voice it must sound like I found out something horrific happened to a beloved family member "Oh. Oh no. oh GOD NO. "

I was so distressed by this act of duchery I woke the cat up.

And I am not kidding in that there are numerous Getty images from that same red carpet where he is doing that over and over again. It's almost like he saw the Fonz and thought "I wish I was born in that era" and he's just trying to keep the torch burning, sort of like Drisco from It's Always Sunny.

Screen-Shot-2016-01-21-at-12.15.30-PM-1024x774.png

hqdefault.jpg

Ah Master Po, easily in the top 5 fake fighters behind Frank Dux, Rafiel Torre, Charlie Zelenoff, and Manny Reyes Jr.

• Like 1

Yes! This retroactively makes me question Cassandra's talent, as it turns out that all of the songs she performs in Wayne's World are covers:

I don't know how to break this to you, but she didn't really play that bass guitar either.

dlik3q4.png

Anyhoo, did anyone else notice this giant needle used for decoration at EZ's house? The crazy 80s, amirite?

lpHSKWC.png

• Like 4

Hey Everyone,

Just wanted to quickly pop my head in here to let you about UNSPOOLED, this new podcast mini-series I'm doing with Amy Nicholson from The Canon. I mentioned it on the podcast, but I thought you all might like it. It's essentially the opposite of this show. We are watching (supposedly) the greatest movies of all time (AFI's 100 BEST FILMS 2007) and talking about them. It all came up organically when I saw this list and I realized I've missed so many classics or my knowledge of them is so base. Anyway, I thought it would be a fun project, and Amy is super smart about film and film history, and I just love her writing, she reminds me of Pauline Kael. So the show is like a film class and book discussion group. You might like it. You might not. No pressure. How did this Get Made isn't going anywhere but just wanted to personally tell you all about it. You can hear the trailer now.

http://www.earwolf.com/show/unspooled/

-Paul

• Like 8

I don't know how to break this to you, but she didn't really play that bass guitar either.

dlik3q4.png

Hey, that's a still photo. She strummed that one string real well!

• Like 3

Ah Master Po, easily in the top 5 fake fighters behind Frank Dux, Rafiel Torre, Charlie Zelenoff, and Manny Reyes Jr.

Uss!

What about Ashida Kim? That guy took over the internet for a hot minute.

I can't stop listening to the Master Po stuff, like when he hosted his own radio show, invited a bunch of convicts, and let them in no problem. This is a guy who wouldn't let SLASH into a room, but a bunch of criminals, they're good to go.

Master Po's Body Rock is infinitely more entertaining than the movie Body Rock. However, the more I think about it, I become more convinced that Master Po just watched this movie, and thought "I could do that!"

• Like 1

dlik3q4.png

TIA CARRERE DIDN'T REALLY PLAY THE BASS?! Next thing, you'll be telling me that she didn't really hunt relics in that TV show.

Tia Carrere could tell me that she won an Olympic Gold Medal in Greco-Roman Wrestling after beating Spongebob Squarepants and I'd believe her, I will always have a crush on Tia Carrere.

• Like 3

Hey, that's a still photo. She strummed that one string real well!

Sometimes she would walk the air above that string XD

PS - Wayne’s World is one of my fav movies ever. Party on, Wayne!

• Like 4

Sometimes she would walk the air above that string XD

PS - Wayne’s World is one of my fav movies ever. Party on, Wayne!

Penelope Spheeris did a podcast with Chris Jericho that's pretty interesting. I think it was the Wayne's World 25th anniversary

Yes! This retroactively makes me question Cassandra's talent, as it turns out that all of the songs she performs in Wayne's World are covers:

"Fire" by Jimi Hendrix (this is actually what she plays when Wayne first sees her)

"Ballroom Blitz" by Sweet (the final performance in Wayne's basement that gets her the record deal . . . or burns down Wayne's house, depending on which ending you accept)

And this one too?! Did you actually write any songs of your own, Cassandra?

There is artistry in interpretation. She owned every one of those songs.

• Like 4

I spent two hours this afternoon watching this turd sandwich when I should have been grading term papers, so I think I won the afternoon. Lots in there but I'm feeling rusty after a while off the boards so I'll hold off before diving right in.

One thing I wondered: did anyone else think of Daft Punk's 'Around the World' video during the skeleton dance song? Daft Punk mostly use mummies, but the jerky choreo made me think of it. I think it's clear that Daft Punk ripped Chilly off. Damn Frenchies.

Anyway, hi everyone! Glad to be back now that school's out for another year! I started listening to back episodes today and it was like coming home to old friends.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yca6UsllwYs

I actually signed on today hoping to be the first to comment on it. It's too close to it for me to think Michel Gondry wasn't inspired by it somehow, but I can't find evidence of him copping to that.

• Like 2

FAKE FIGHTER KUMITE!

• Like 2

FAKE FIGHTER KUMITE!

It wouldn't work because they would each say they won and have their own fake trophy or belt to prove it.

• Like 3

Y'all we've been talking about the Grease references and how we all thought he was ripping off Danny's vibe in this, but I can not believe none of us mentioned that Lorenzo Lamas was in Grease!!! He played "Tom Chisum" who I had absolutely no memory of, but when I talked about this with my mom she said he was Sandy's jock boyfriend that Danny was jealous of. This breaks a whole new light on Lorenzo literally now embodying a character he probably was dying to be the whole time. Sorry Lorenzo, but you ain't no John Travolta.

OMG, you're right! I totally forgot about that. Holy smokes!

Do you think he was bitter, at Grease or something? Was this a revenge movie?

I originally thought it wanted to be the Anti-Grease movie, mainly because after the secretary says the Sandra Dee line, Chilly is like "no the D stands for Dangerous" ..like he was taking a shot at Grease for not being a tough enough movie, or Danny Z not really being tough. Maybe Body Rock (or more so Lorenzo) just wanted to make the 80s version of Grease straight-up. I don't know. Either way, they obviously tried to cash in on some similarities.

• Like 2

It wouldn't work because they would each say they won and have their own fake trophy or belt to prove it.

There was a guy who was on Joe Rogan's podcast (I think), and he and the guest were talking about fake martial artists, and they talked about this one guy who told his friend "I'm fighting in an underground tournament", and he went into the woods, and he emerged three days later with a trophy.

How do people think they're convincing anyone?!

• Like 3

There was a guy who was on Joe Rogan's podcast (I think), and he and the guest were talking about fake martial artists, and they talked about this one guy who told his friend "I'm fighting in an underground tournament", and he went into the woods, and he emerged three days later with a trophy.

How do people think they're convincing anyone?!

I don't know about anyone else, but I would be seriously interested in a movie following the exploits of the fake martial artist in the woods and how he got his trophy.

• Like 3

I don't know about anyone else, but I would be seriously interested in a movie following the exploits of the fake martial artist in the woods and how he got his trophy.

Isn't that basically Bloodsport?

• Like 3

I've just thought about this a little more.

That's how we get them to fight. Frank Dux is telling the story about how he won, and then just say "Oh... well... Master Po said he won... " And then you get the bracket that way.

Fun Fact about Master Po, the staff at Opie and Anthony lied to him and told him they were going to be interviewing Chuck Norris, and had him write an essay about how much Chuck Norris has affected his life.

• Like 2

I know that most of the focus so far has been on what a piece of crap Chilly D is, and I totally get that. For the majority of the movie he really isn't much more than a roast beef stealing, shit-weasel. However, I would like to come to his defense for a second.

From the beginning, Chilly is the only person in the crew that had any faith in Body Rock. He has vision that the other members lack. When EZ punks out, Chilly barges into that dudes office by himself and basically demands an audition. If it were up to Body Rock, they'd just be dicking around Rhythm Nation forever, popping-and-locking for pennies. We can say all day that Chilly was being selfish shithead, and that's true to some degree, but honestly, EZ and the rest of Body Rock were being just as - if not more - shady.

For example, EZ doesn't encourage Chilly to take that gig because that's what would be in Chilly's best interest. No, after letting Chilly take all the risks, he wants to use Chilly as their magical nepotism gnome to grant them fame and fortune. That's fucked up. You had your shot, bro, and you blew it. You were found wanting. Why is it Chilly's responsibility to take care of your no-talent ass?

EZ and the crew just come off as a bunch of pissy crybabies because they can't ride Chilly's coattails, but think of it from Chilly's perspective. He's gone from the emcee of this tiny nothing of club to the hottest club in New York City. I'm absolutely certain he intended to bring his friends over, but now, he's got a whole new talent pool. He's in the big leagues. Luigi Wigglearms might have been a dope-ass dancer for Rhythm Nation, but how does he stack up against the best breakers in the city? Chilly has a responsibility to make his new club successful, and let's be honest, he can't do that with subpar dancers and rappers who rap off-beat.

Body Rock only taught him skills so they could use him to get ahead. (Well, all except for Magic, that is. But Chilly paid cold hard cash for those lessons. And, I might add, he got a great deal!) Chilly took the initiative. Chilly learned the moves. Chilly is the only go-getter among them.

Bottom Line: Chilly D doesn't owe Body Rock shit.

• Like 4

I think this was brought up in the episode too, but none of the members of Body Rock actually do “magic.” I think the confusion is, after the scene where Chilly gets them the audition, EZ (the rapper) asks him what they’re going to do to impress the suits. Chilly says:

”You’re the DJ - the scratcher. Jam is the rapper. Magic, Ricky Ricardo, Snake - they’re the breakers!”

However, the way he delivers the names of the “breakers,” it sounds like he’s saying, “Magic: Ricky Ricardo” as if “magic” is what Ricky is bringing to the table.

It’s just one of the many dangers of choosing a nickname that can be used as both a noun and a verb.

Oh shit your right. Perhaps Magick WAS the magic in this film all along...

It's probably a good thing there were no magicians in this film anyway they tend to be insufferable pricks and if Chilly were to steal that talent he would become the Thanos of duchebags

• Like 3

Did no one else find it weird that there were two songs in this movie with the title Body Rock in them? Both of them are asking me to let my body rock. And you would think that this one would be the theme song for the movie because it talks about break dancing:

This one just wants my body to talk to them tonight(while they seem to be wearing their Nana's entire jewelry box):

I can only assume that the second one was already popular? Was this a big hit? I don't think I've ever really heard it before but it also sounds like such an 80's song I feel like I somehow have known it my whole life.

• Like 3

Paul... How have we not talked about the GOD DAMN ROBOT?!?!?!?!

sl7Xr1S.png

I'm literally speechless on it's presence, but as a child of the 80s all I could think about how freaking similar it looks to another famous robot....

HlP3b0i.png

Paulie's sexy robot from Rocky IV!!

This has to be the same robot just with slight upgrades. It has the same body shape... arms... the chest and belly compartments. Right???

Is it not fair to assume that Stallone, who is the writer and director of Rocky IV, saw Body Rock and was inspired by this quick clip? Body Rock was in fact released a year before Rocky IV.

• Like 6