🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 188 - Body Rock: LIVE!

Paul... How have we not talked about the GOD DAMN ROBOT?!?!?!?!

sl7Xr1S.png

I'm literally speechless on it's presence, but as a child of the 80s all I could think about how freaking similar it looks to another famous robot....

HlP3b0i.png

Paulie's sexy robot from Rocky IV!!

This has to be the same robot just with slight upgrades. It has the same body shape... arms... the chest and belly compartments. Right???

Is it not fair to assume that Stallone, who is the writer and director of Rocky IV, saw Body Rock and was inspired by this quick clip? Body Rock was in fact released a year before Rocky IV.

The story behind Rocky having a robot is that Stallone saw the robot on a talk show. The robot creator said it could be useful for teaching autistic children. Stallone has an autistic child. So, he was inspired by that.

• Like 2

The story behind Rocky having a robot is that Stallone saw the robot on a talk show. The robot creator said it could be useful for teaching autistic children. Stallone has an autistic child. So, he was inspired by that.

Congrats on winning the Debbie Downer award for this forum.

Either way... it’s still the same fucking robot (with an upgrade) and should have been mentioned as pure insanity.

• Like 2

Did Stallone mention anything about a sexy robot voice also helping with autism?

• Like 2

I know that most of the focus so far has been on what a piece of crap Chilly D is, and I totally get that. For the majority of the movie he really isn't much more than a roast beef stealing, shit-weasel. However, I would like to come to his defense for a second.

From the beginning, Chilly is the only person in the crew that had any faith in Body Rock. He has vision that the other members lack. When EZ punks out, Chilly barges into that dudes office by himself and basically demands an audition. If it were up to Body Rock, they'd just be dicking around Rhythm Nation forever, popping-and-locking for pennies. We can say all day that Chilly was being selfish shithead, and that's true to some degree, but honestly, EZ and the rest of Body Rock were being just as - if not more - shady.

For example, EZ doesn't encourage Chilly to take that gig because that's what would be in Chilly's best interest. No, after letting Chilly take all the risks, he wants to use Chilly as their magical nepotism gnome to grant them fame and fortune. That's fucked up. You had your shot, bro, and you blew it. You were found wanting. Why is it Chilly's responsibility to take care of your no-talent ass?

EZ and the crew just come off as a bunch of pissy crybabies because they can't ride Chilly's coattails, but think of it from Chilly's perspective. He's gone from the emcee of this tiny nothing of club to the hottest club in New York City. I'm absolutely certain he intended to bring his friends over, but now, he's got a whole new talent pool. He's in the big leagues. Luigi Wigglearms might have been a dope-ass dancer for Rhythm Nation, but how does he stack up against the best breakers in the city? Chilly has a responsibility to make his new club successful, and let's be honest, he can't do that with subpar dancers and rappers who rap off-beat.

Body Rock only taught him skills so they could use him to get ahead. Well, all except for Magic, that is. But Chilly paid cold hard cash for those lessons. And, I might add, he got a great deal! Chilly took the initiative. Chilly learned the moves. Chilly is the only go-getter among them.

Bottom Line: Chilly D doesn't owe Body Rock shit.

I mean I agree on some points. I would also like to add to your thing that Chilly really had no sway in this organization. He's just one of acts in this club it looks like. Sure he becomes popular and can thus request things but that's all they are: requests. At the end of the day what these kids don't seem to understand is Chilly is now part of a company.. He has a boss.

Also, sure he could have asked them to use his friends sure but when we look at the stuff he's performing for the club it's not really break dancing is it? Almost all his back up dancers are doing some kind of modern dance. And doesn't at least one act mainly feature women?

The worst thing I think Chilly does isn't abandoning his friend's it's selling the name Body Nation and doing it so blasély Like he clearly knew what copyright meant and he knew none of his friends had it so he knew it was fine to steal as he assured Terrance. Like that's fucking cold man.

• Like 2

There was a guy who was on Joe Rogan's podcast (I think), and he and the guest were talking about fake martial artists, and they talked about this one guy who told his friend "I'm fighting in an underground tournament", and he went into the woods, and he emerged three days later with a trophy.

How do people think they're convincing anyone?!

I believe that was Rafael Torre. Rogan was mentioning how the guy went into the woods with this lumpy duffle bag but when he came back out with the trophy the bag was now mysteriously lighter. It's amazing in the infancy of the internet, these guys were able to make these claims and be believed, Torre had even hung out with actual MMA fighters like Tito Ortiz, because there wasn't a solid way to verify their bullshit yet.

What's great now are the guys today who still try to claim outlandish things like being amazing fighters, such as Charlie Zelenoff, who I honestly think is mentally unstable as he has fought honest to god real boxers, like Floyd Mayweather Sr. and the current Heavyweight Champion Deontay Wilder, and has gotten the shit beat out of him. He then goes on to say with a straight face that he won and various videos were either fake or doctored. Then he posts on his own site uber-chopped videos where he claims he won.

Congrats on winning the Debbie Downer award for this forum.

Damn, I was really gunning for this.

• Like 4

I mean if it helps there's always next time sport. unless something horrific happens of course.

• Like 3

Shit that's a thing?! Now I gotta try for it. Here we go:

The kid who played Magic is probably now works as one of those street performers in San Francisco, mainly because child actors weren't really paid that well before the 80s unless they were a big name, and after the breakdancing movie bubble popped shortly after this movie, there weren't many opportunities for him.

Does this beat the Stallone robot?

• Like 5

Shit that's a thing?! Now I gotta try for it. Here we go:

The kid who played Magic is probably now works as one of those street performers in San Francisco, mainly because child actors weren't really paid that well before the 80s unless they were a big name, and after the breakdancing movie bubble popped shortly after this movie, there weren't many opportunities for him.

Does this beat the Stallone robot?

That's just assuming the kid who played Magic is still alive.

I won't have my Debbie Downer award taken from me.

• Like 4

Paul... How have we not talked about the GOD DAMN ROBOT?!?!?!?!

sl7Xr1S.png

I'm literally speechless on it's presence, but as a child of the 80s all I could think about how freaking similar it looks to another famous robot....

HlP3b0i.png

Paulie's sexy robot from Rocky IV!!

This has to be the same robot just with slight upgrades. It has the same body shape... arms... the chest and belly compartments. Right???

Is it not fair to assume that Stallone, who is the writer and director of Rocky IV, saw Body Rock and was inspired by this quick clip? Body Rock was in fact released a year before Rocky IV.

How did you miss the most obvious question?!?!? WHAT IS ITS MISSION?

• Like 3

I just wanted to say, that I am 100% with Jason regarding the uselessness of YouTube captioning. A monkey farting on a keyboard would be more accurate. For example, in this movie, "throwing some crates around" became "touring Creed around." For most of the rest of the movie, all I could even think about was:

giphy.gif

Ain't nobody need to be in that headspace.

I think my favorite YouTube captions moment was when I watch Lawrence Olivier's version of Othello. That's when:

"And little blessed with the soft phrase of peace,

For since these arms of mine had seven years' pith,

Till now some nine moons wasted, they have used

Their dearest action in the tented field,

And little of this great world can I speak,

More than pertains to feats of broils and battle,"

became:

"And little rest of the software is a piece,

for since these arms of mine at seven years pistol,

..now some nine months wasted, they have used

more than pertains to pizza broils..."

(Yes, I saved my transcript :) )

• Like 6

Anyhoo, did anyone else notice this giant needle used for decoration at EZ's house? The crazy 80s, amirite?

lpHSKWC.png

pic-fly-swatters-814103023305-64_1000.jpg

I figured it was a fly swatter.

• Like 2

I just wanted to say, that I am 100% with Jason regarding the uselessness of YouTube captioning. A monkey farting on a keyboard would be more accurate. For example, in this movie, "throwing some crates around" became "touring Creed around." For most of the rest of the movie, all I could even think about was:

giphy.gif

Ain't nobody need to be in that headspace.

I think my favorite YouTube captions moment was when I watch Lawrence Olivier's version of Othello. That's when:

became:

Potentially my favourite HDTGM forum post ever. I want an entire podcast just on Cameron's transcripts.

• Like 3

Did no one else find it weird that there were two songs in this movie with the title Body Rock in them? Both of them are asking me to let my body rock.

I have to say that I was initially excited and then immediately disappointed when I misheard the title of this film as 'Holly Rock' and I thought we'd be getting a little bit of Sheila E from Krush Groove (memorably discussed in our Musical Mondays threads).

I think we can all very confidently agree that Sheila's 'Holly Rock' is far and away the better track of the three.

• Like 4

became:

The fact that you posted a Creed gif above this makes me want to sing this speech to the tune of "Higher." You asshole.

• Like 5

The fact that you posted a Creed gif above this makes me want to sing this speech to the tune of "Higher." You asshole.

I assure you, that was completely unintentional.

1481681164032.gif

• Like 4

I just remembered another thing that kinda made me laugh during this movie. In what world are the artists the corporate sell outs that are being funded by some Donald Trump-like mogul? It was so bonkers that Claire was a painter and seemed to be the complete opposite of what a painter would actually be like. And the other dude who's name I forgot but the Shitty Youtube Captions told me was "Signor" was a street artist that basically became Banksy once he was properly funded???

The 80s must have had an art boom because I don't know too many genuine artists that are getting money thrown at them by business moguls.

• Like 5

I just remembered another thing that kinda made me laugh during this movie. In what world are the artists the corporate sell outs that are being funded by some Donald Trump-like mogul? It was so bonkers that Claire was a painter and seemed to be the complete opposite of what a painter would actually be like. And the other dude who's name I forgot but the Shitty Youtube Captions told me was "Signor" was a street artist that basically became Banksy once he was properly funded???

The 80s must have had an art boom because I don't know too many genuine artists that are getting money thrown at them by business moguls.

Could be a subtle shot at modern art basically being a money laundering scam.

Like this going for nearly $44m

barnett_newman-300x300.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=300&h=300&crop=1

• Like 2

Could be a subtle shot at modern art basically being a money laundering scam.

Like this going for nearly $44m

barnett_newman-300x300.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=300&h=300&crop=1

Of course art is all completely subjective but in talking about modern art, especially like the one you pictured, that is not what Dude Who's Name I Forgot But Youtube Called Signor did at all. His art was street art and honestly the stuff Terrence had on his wall was, in my opinion, rather good. You never really see what kind of paintings Claire did except for what I assumed were her own handmade curtains that she painted hanging up. Other than that you never actually what kind of art these artists did. So if they were trying to poke at the modern art culture then they were failing.

ART HISTORY NERD OUT TIME

Also, if they were really trying to poke at the modern art culture, then they failed by having one of the two females with lines be their representative of modern art. Why? Modern art, and modern art spaces, are inherently misogynistic. When art museums were first created they were created to look like the home, because that's where people would want to hang art and these museums would be representative of what people would want to see inside their home. But then modern artists came along and decided that they didn't want their space to be "feminine" because women belonged in the home and they didn't want women in their spaces. So they created what is called the "white cube" for their pieces, like the one above. So when I think about Claire then being the artist representation it makes double no sense because this movie is terribly misogynistic to begin with so if it's trying to label the woman as the problem by being the artist in Chilly's life instead of labeling the man, Donald, that built this space to begin with then it's only adding to the problem in the art world instead of solving anything.

• Like 5

I figured it was a fly swatter.

Damn it. I was hoping it was for a giant cross stitch project.

• Like 3

Damn it. I was hoping it was for a giant cross stitch project.

I can only hope that project would be this... ya know, but giant.

cross-stitch-graffiti.jpeg

Also can we talk about how Chili is full on wearing women's clothes? The outfit he wears for the meeting with Terrence at the start when he's looking for a manager is a woman's blouse with the sleeves cut off that he's left unbuttoned, blue women's silk (some kind of a crepe fabric?) slacks and what looks like a woman's red belt.

His leather boots that look like leather studded Uggs which he wears when strutting down the street like an insane person high off his ass on coke look like women's shoes from the time.

I guess I have to defend Chilly on this one. To be sure, his clothes are ridiculous, but I'm pretty sure they are actually clothes designed and made for men regardless of their flamboyancy.

giphy.gif

This might be one of the most worthless gifs every put on this board, but you can just make out the buttons, which are on the right side of Chilly's shirt (where men's shirts button.) The pixelation is so bad that no still image would capture the buttons.

The 80s were a weird but glorious era of fashion.

• Like 5

The 80s were a weird but glorious era of fashion.

But why a belt AND suspenders?

• Like 2

But why a belt AND suspenders?

I think that this moment in fashion was a convergence of the singular zeitgeist paths of both belts and suspenders.

Belts were big:

-egDnxYucL8.jpg

Suspenders were big:

marty-mcfly-and-shah-safari-checkered-shirt-gallery.jpg

It's what all the cool kids were doing.

23296_original.jpg

• Like 4

That's just assuming the kid who played Magic is still alive.

I won't have my Debbie Downer award taken from me.

FUCK! The ultimate ringer move.

• Like 4