🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
OC Gangsta

The Lost World: Jurassic Park

I don't even know where to begin when nominating this film.

There are too many things to laugh about in this movie, so I'll highlight just 3 of them:

1) I'll start with the fact that you can do an ENTIRE SHOW on the T-Rex running around San Diego by itself! Not to mention the fact that the boat with the T-Rex arrived on shore with everyone on board killed by the T-Rex... who was trapped in the storage hanger of the ship. What/?!?!?!

2) Jeff Goldblum's daughter ("Kelly") is nothing but golden in this flick. Let's look over the fact that she somehow managed to hide on the trailer, which means her father never said goodbye to her when he left, which makes him a horrible father. The scene that makes this movie is when she uses her gymnastic skills to swing around a pole a few times, kicking a raptor in the process.

3) The scientists who arrive on the island with the "hunters" knows way too much about the dinosaurs and their habits/tendencies without ever seeing anything more than bones their entire life.

Big budget movie that made me squirm as I watched it.

With all the hype of Jurassic World, I decided to do a Jurassic Park trilogy marathon, and WOW, The Lost World is utter garbage.

Jeff Goldblum's acting (love him, but definitely not in this), the random black foster child, and the attempt to do five different action plots in one movie makes this movie just about unbearable to watch.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119567/?ref_=nv_sr_1

I never cared for the original, as while the effects were groundbreaking, it was an early victim of having evvvvvverything shown to you before the movie came out, at least as far as how all the creature effects were pulled off. The second movie was the same thing, but everyone remembered to bring guns this time. I think I was hoping that most of the movie was more along the lines of what the last ten minutes ended up being.

With all the hype of Jurassic World, I decided to do a Jurassic Park trilogy marathon, and WOW, The Lost World is utter garbage.

I did the same. I always liked the second one, but yeah, it's not good. I still love the T-Rex in San Diego despite how ridiculous it is.

Regarding the original poster's list, my impression on #1 is that there was another dinosaur on board that killed them, but it's insane that they never explained that.

This sequence also includes possibly the dumbest thing in the entire movie - Goldblum and Moore are driving by the harbor with the T. Rex chasing them, and she asks if there is a way through/around the warehouses to the boat. He says something like "I hope so!", takes a hard right, and drives through a wall and into a warehouse. OK, fine. But then HE STOPS THE CAR AND THEY GET OUT. Why would you risk going through the wall just to walk 20 feet less?

All that said, III is easily the worst.

• Like 1

All that said, III is easily the worst.

The 3rd one is so, so bad. It's basically just Tea Leoni screaming like a maniac for an hour and a half.

Lost World is bad in a tedious way, III is bad in a fun way. I always say III is just Gremlins and that is much better than whatever Lost World is.

• Like 2

I have a soft spot for Jurassic Park and the Lost World. JP3 hurt me. It hurt me bad.

and like an abused spouse responding to a text from my ex, I will be returning to the theater on friday for Jurassic World.

I'm going to rewatch JP and TLW this week. I refuse to view JP3 again.

• Like 1

The 3rd one is so, so bad. It's basically just Tea Leoni screaming like a maniac for an hour and a half.

Oh, man, "Jurassic Park 3." My family was watching it last weekend because AMC was showing all three movies, and it's insane how stupid the characters act.

There's a bit when the search party gets to the island, and Tea Leoni's character is waving around a flashlight and yelling for her son (because yeah, after weeks on the island, he's likely to be within shouting distance of the place you landed your plane). Grant and William H. Macy tell her to knock it off, and she does it again, predictably bringing forth a dinosaur. It's like, she had to know there were dinosaurs on this island, and yet she does everything short of attaching uncooked steaks to her jacket and and blasting music out of a boombox to get them to notice her.

To be fair to the original post's 3rd point, most scientists have felt like they know everything or as much as they can about dinosaurs despite only ever working with bones, since it's all theory anyway, so that didn't seem out of place. It wasn't until a few years ago that scientists started realizing that they had bones mixed up with the various skeletons and that everything they thought they knew was probably wrong.

I always loved the JP movies since I was huge into dinosaurs as a kid, though the last two were rife with things to make fun of. Everyone likes to point out how Tea Leoni is maybe the only character next to the hacker granddaughter in the first movie that the fans were actively rooting to get eaten, but lets not forget Julianne Moore's character who is meant to be this great wildlife expert but actively starts trying to touch baby dinosaurs in front of the parents. Or when she was trying to heal the injured T-Rex pup because she didn't want it to get killed by its parents or that an apex predator like a T-Rex might hunt her because she has the pups blood on her clothes, but she never takes the time to mask the scent or maybe I don't know, leave her blood covered jacket behind. Also, the true villain of Lost World is Vince Vaughn's Green Peace character who is responsible for the deaths of dozens of people by hampering Pete Postlethwaite's gun, the T-Rex was tranquilized instead of killed like originally intended, leading to InGen taking it to San Diego and the eventual rampage.

• Like 1

Everyone likes to point out how Tea Leoni is maybe the only character next to the hacker granddaughter in the first movie that the fans were actively rooting to get eaten,

Is this a commonly held view? I always thought her brother was far, far more annoying.

• Like 2

Is this a commonly held view? I always thought her brother was far, far more annoying.

I'm with you, Seanotron. I don't have a problem with her, or her brother for that matter. They did what they did and it was fine. Yes, he was annoying, but that's kind of what his role was supposed to be. The funny thing is, and I guess it's just because I have been inundated with Jurassic World trailers for the past few weeks, I have taken it upon myself to re-read the original Jurassic Park novel for the first time in years. Now in the book, Lex brings absolutely nothing to the table and they should have absolutely thrown her ass straight at the nearest T-Rex and never looked back. Also, for those who have never read it, Tim is the older sibling as well as the dinosaur expert and the computer expert. Lex just seems to like baseball.

In hindsight, it's pretty fascinating. Granted, I'm only about 50% into the book, but I think it is almost a textbook example of how to adapt a novel into a movie. When the movie deviates from the source material, even if what was in the book really works, you can see why it was omitted or changed to make the movie better. For instance, Grant likes kids in the book, but can't stand them in the movie. This gives his character in the movie more of an emotional arc and his scenes with the children more engaging. There are a bunch of little examples like that.

However, to address the topic at hand, of the original three movies, I think the Lost World is the weakest. I remember when I saw the third in the theater and thinking at the time that it was utter garbage, but now I appreciate it for what it is--a standard, goofy action movie. The Lost World on the other hand, is just a damn mess. There's gymkata in this movie for Christ's sake! And that ending..oof! I feel like what Spielberg wanted to do was just get the dinosaurs to the mainland and just wreck some shit up in a populated area. Which almost looks like what Jurassic World may be trying to do (albeit, still on an island). I also think that if that is what he was going for, that is is what he should have done. And I'm willing to bet that it would have been pretty good. As it stands though, it's just a bunch of stupid plots that don't really go anywhere with stupid people doing incredibly stupid things.

That all being said, I would be really surprised if they were to choose this movie for HDTGM. It would be like if they did one of the Matrix sequels. Yeah, they deserve it and there is plenty to talk about, but I just don't see it happening...

• Like 2

I'm with you, Seanotron. I don't have a problem with her, or her brother for that matter. They did what they did and it was fine. Yes, he was annoying, but that's kind of what his role was supposed to be. The funny thing is, and I guess it's just because I have been inundated with Jurassic World trailers for the past few weeks, I have taken it upon myself to re-read the original Jurassic Park novel for the first time in years. Now in the book, Lex brings absolutely nothing to the table and they should have absolutely thrown her ass straight at the nearest T-Rex and never looked back. Also, for those who have never read it, Tim is the older sibling as well as the dinosaur expert and the computer expert. Lex just seems to like baseball.

In hindsight, it's pretty fascinating. Granted, I'm only about 50% into the book, but I think it is almost a textbook example of how to adapt a novel into a movie. When the movie deviates from the source material, even if what was in the book really works, you can see why it was omitted or changed to make the movie better. For instance, Grant likes kids in the book, but can't stand them in the movie. This gives his character in the movie more of an emotional arc and his scenes with the children more engaging. There are a bunch of little examples like that.

The AV Club wrote a big article about the differences between the book and the movie. Another example: Hammond is the villain, so much so that he doesn't care in the slightest when his grandchildren are in danger.

• Like 1

The AV Club wrote a big article about the differences between the book and the movie. Another example: Hammond is the villain, so much so that he doesn't care in the slightest when his grandchildren are in danger.

I read the book a long time ago, but I remember that element. I also remember that the lawyer character in the book was actually kind of heroic and regrets his involvement in the whole thing. I think in the movie they basically took all of Hammond's negative character traits and threw them into the lawyer. I also seem to remember Hammond getting eaten by the tiny little dinos from Lost World in the novel.

• Like 1

However, to address the topic at hand, of the original three movies, I think the Lost World is the weakest. I remember when I saw the third in the theater and thinking at the time that it was utter garbage, but now I appreciate it for what it is--a standard, goofy action movie.

That 3rd one is just so damn saccharine and corny. For all the plot issues that Lost World has (and it has them in spades) it just doesn't irritate me nearly as much as JP3. I rewatched them all over the weekend, and JP3 was the only one I had to turn off.

• Like 1

Yeah the lawyer was actually a good guy in the book who helped out in many situations, while the old man might be the most heartless bastard ever put onto a page. Hammond does get eaten by the Compys in the end after he decides to stroll through his wrecked but still dangerous park, thinking that the worst has past him. Hell even the doctor who showed the group the eggs in the tour gets killed by a dinosaur, because why not?

While the first book and movie were close enough to be an adaptation, the Lost World book and movie are TOTALLY different. There is no San Diego, no mass group of hunters coming to get specimen, and Malcolm doesn't have a daughter, it's just two students of his who sneak onto the trailer when he comes over to the island.

• Like 1

Hell even the doctor who showed the group the eggs in the tour gets killed by a dinosaur, because why not?

That's just plain Wong.

• Like 3

Really the only thing I remembered about The Lost World novel is the carnotaurus. It was a bi-pedal carnivore like t-rex, but had skin like that of a chameleon. I also remember thinking "This will be so fucking cool in the movie!" (because I was 13) and then the movie came out. Maybe it was in there, but just never decloaked.

• Like 1

They had that dinosaur in the Lost World first person shooter arcade game. Tough as hell boss level.

• Like 2

Is that the one where you ride in the Jeep?

Yes, that game ruled!

Yeah Jurassic Park was one of the rare instances where a film franchise had continually high quality games. They had the one on Sega where you played as Dr. Grant and a Velociraptor, the Lost World game which was an early sandbox game with a bunch of missions and dinosaurs to interact with, another arcade game where you played as a T-Rex, the Jurassica Park 3 FPS in arcades was even pretty good. They even had an amusement park simulator where you created your own park and chose which dinosaurs to create or if you were like me wait until your park was filled with people and then remove any chance of exiting the park and then deleting the fences so that the dinosaurs ate all of your guests. The only really bad JP game that I remember playing was Trespasser on the PC which had Minnie Driver voicing the character and QWOP like controls for a FPS, boy did that one suck ass.

• Like 1

Yeah Jurassic Park was one of the rare instances where a film franchise had continually high quality games. They had the one on Sega where you played as Dr. Grant and a Velociraptor, the Lost World game which was an early sandbox game with a bunch of missions and dinosaurs to interact with, another arcade game where you played as a T-Rex, the Jurassica Park 3 FPS in arcades was even pretty good. They even had an amusement park simulator where you created your own park and chose which dinosaurs to create or if you were like me wait until your park was filled with people and then remove any chance of exiting the park and then deleting the fences so that the dinosaurs ate all of your guests. The only really bad JP game that I remember playing was Trespasser on the PC which had Minnie Driver voicing the character and QWOP like controls for a FPS, boy did that one suck ass.

The SNES JP game was god awful. I bought a Genesis to play the good JP game. Also, bloody Mortal Kombat

The SNES JP game was god awful. I bought a Genesis to play the good JP game. Also, bloody Mortal Kombat

I did like though that they were at least different games, as I had both systems, and if an identical game came out for both, I'd usually go with the SNES, because I liked the gameplay better.

Sign in to follow this