🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
OC Gangsta

The Lost World: Jurassic Park

That was the great thing about that console generation, each system had something different as a way to make you want it. They try and do that now with console exclusive games, but eventually most end up on every system. If you haven't already read it I suggest reading Console Wars by Blake Harris, it goes into the rise of Sega and the Sonic franchise against the Mario/Nintendo empire. The behind the scenes mayhem of creating an impressive console and game is amazing along with the racial politics that essentially destroyed Sega in the 90s.

• Like 1

That was the great thing about that console generation, each system had something different as a way to make you want it. They try and do that now with console exclusive games, but eventually most end up on every system. If you haven't already read it I suggest reading Console Wars by Blake Harris, it goes into the rise of Sega and the Sonic franchise against the Mario/Nintendo empire. The behind the scenes mayhem of creating an impressive console and game is amazing along with the racial politics that essentially destroyed Sega in the 90s.

Thanks man! I'll check that out. Sounds like a good read.

Yeah the book is amazing and is actually being made into two movies by Seth Rogen, one a documentary and the other a fictionalized retelling. It's kinda sad reading it because it shows Sega could have really been a strong contender in the gaming industry if it wasn't for cultural bickering and corporate espionage from WITHIN the company rather than from an opposing company.

For anyone who's on the fence and wants my two cents, Jurassic World is pretty awesome, and I was pleasantly surprised by a few things that are referenced in this thread popping up.

• Like 1

For anyone who's on the fence and wants my two cents, Jurassic World is pretty awesome, and I was pleasantly surprised by a few things that are referenced in this thread popping up.

It's the second best JP film. It's a fun film. in no way flawless, but not the CGI-gasm I was expecting. The leads held their own, the story was (contextually) plausible, the comic relief was well timed and hit the mark, and the effects made sense. My biggest real gripes were with direction and scoring. I felt like there were a lot of chances to make this film an experience like the original with better shots and music cues (T-rex entrance). I don't think this is a knock on Trevorrow's work so much as an appreciation for Spielberg.

• Like 1

It's the second best JP film. It's a fun film. in no way flawless, but not the CGI-gasm I was expecting. The leads held their own, the story was (contextually) plausible, the comic relief was well timed and hit the mark, and the effects made sense.

Yep, I pretty much agree with all of this, especially about the relative restraint with the CGI - good mix of new dinos and the classics, and the stuff with the new ones never felt like they were over-doing it or just showing off like the second and (especially) third movies sometimes did.

Speaking of comic relief (and I'll put this in a spoiler tag, but it's a VERY minor spoiler at worst),

"Oh, no, I have a boyfriend" got the biggest laugh in my theater, which made me very happy.

• Like 1

Yep, I pretty much agree with all of this, especially about the relative restraint with the CGI - good mix of new dinos and the classics, and the stuff with the new ones never felt like they were over-doing it or just showing off like the second and (especially) third movies sometimes did.

Speaking of comic relief (and I'll put this in a spoiler tag, but it's a VERY minor spoiler at worst),

"Oh, no, I have a boyfriend" got the biggest laugh in my theater, which made me very happy.

Yep. Same here. That bit was perfect. Also,

I guess I got my Carnotosaurus finally

I really like JW though I did feel there were some unnecessary things in it like the Vincent D'onofrio and his plotline, which seemed like it was there to set up potential storylines for the sequel. I did like that B.D. Wong's character became more in line with what he was like in the book and I did enjoy the callbacks to the original movie and even people involved in making it i.e. a brief shot of a store called Winston's.

There was one little callback that I would have liked to have seen:

When the brothers are in the original park HQ I would have loved to have seen them walk into the kitchen and find a raptor skeleton inside the freezer from when Tim locked it in there in the first movie.

• Like 2

I almost just typed "It wouldn't have been a skeleton, it would have been a frozen carcass, which would be even scarier", but then I realized that the place hasn't had power in 22 years, so of course it wouldn't still be a working freezer, dummy. But still, inside a sealed indoor space, I feel like it wouldn't have fully decomposed.

I almost just typed "It wouldn't have been a skeleton, it would have been a frozen carcass, which would be even scarier", but then I realized that the place hasn't had power in 22 years, so of course it wouldn't still be a working freezer, dummy. But still, inside a sealed indoor space, I feel like it wouldn't have fully decomposed.

Or if they just found Samuel L. Jackson, walking around, one-armed, ragged, deranged...like a more able-bodied version of his character from Black Snake Moan

• Like 1

Or if they just found Samuel L. Jackson, walking around, one-armed, ragged, deranged...like a more able-bodied version of his character from Black Snake Moan

Speaking of his character, I was sort of put off by the monetary stupidity of the top level characters in this corporation for JW. In one scene the owner of the company tells Chris Pratt that they aren't ready to kill their new dinosaur because it cost them $26 million to create it, despite it killing two park workers already. Yet in the Lost World in a deleted scene they talk about how much InGen lost in lawsuits to the families of those killed in the first film with Muldoon family getting something like $30 million and Sam Jackson's Mr. Arnold getting like $23 million, so the loss of $26 million should be a drop in the bucket compared to the potential lawsuits coming their way. Also, shouldn't that park be making money hand over foot?

Speaking of his character, I was sort of put off by the monetary stupidity of the top level characters in this corporation for JW. In one scene the owner of the company tells Chris Pratt that they aren't ready to kill their new dinosaur because it cost them $26 million to create it, despite it killing two park workers already. Yet in the Lost World in a deleted scene they talk about how much InGen lost in lawsuits to the families of those killed in the first film with Muldoon family getting something like $30 million and Sam Jackson's Mr. Arnold getting like $23 million, so the loss of $26 million should be a drop in the bucket compared to the potential lawsuits coming their way. Also, shouldn't that park be making money hand over foot?

Yeah, to quote Gennaro "We can charge whatever we want". I'm pretty sure they went that route.

Sign in to follow this