🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 188.5 - Minisode 188.5

So I just finished Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow and, while it's certainly not the greatest movie, is pretty dull, and was doomed for commercial failure from the start, I think I.... like it.

It gives me the same aesthetic pleasure as, say, watching Downton Abbey, where nothing bad is going to happen to the nice, well-meaning, well-dressed handsome people on screen as everyone is polite to everyone else. Except here, that aesthetic is faux-1930s serials rather than BBC period dramas.

I watched it again last night (first time since theaters) and I largely agree. It's not great, but visually it's creative/interesting and as a narrative the worst you can say is that it's "stock" -- filled with cliched situations you've probably seen before. I definitely see why this didn't catch on, but I'm also not sure I'd call it a "bad" movie exactly. (Also, The Spirit was SO much worse than this.)

As for Downton Abbey, I'd say the early seasons (especially the first) had more going on than "nice BBC dress-up" but as it went along it pretty much became that.

• Like 3

I watched it again last night (first time since theaters) and I largely agree. It's not great, but visually it's creative/interesting and as a narrative the worst you can say is that it's "stock" -- filled with cliched situations you've probably seen before. I definitely see why this didn't catch on, but I'm also not sure I'd call it a "bad" movie exactly. (Also, The Spirit was SO much worse than this.)

I agree - it kind of grew on me over the course of the film. The dullness was pretty debilitating, but it was pretty beautiful to look at throughout. The final half hour turned me around on it.

• Like 2

I agree - it kind of grew on me over the course of the film. The dullness was pretty debilitating, but it was pretty beautiful to look at throughout. The final half hour turned me around on it.

It's mighty hard to get to that last half hour without falling asleep though. How is a movie with 40's style dog fight combat and giant killer robots with laserbeam eyes so boring?

• Like 2

giphy.gif

That never gets old.

I am 15 minutes into this garbage fire of a film and I hate everything about it. This makes me appreciate even more the work that went into making Sin City appear like an old-school noir film with half the budget. I hate that somehow character faces are lit despite there being no possible way, like in Jude Law's office where he turns his lamp AWAY from his face towards Gwyneth Paltrow but then his face is even more lit up than before, or somehow how actor faces always have that single bar of light going across their eyes to make it seem like what someone would think an old radio serial would look like as a movie. Also, why did they think that the enemy planes needed to have flapping wings?

Cannot believe that this was well received when it first came out.

72% on Rotten Tomatoes is insanely high for this movie.

I would have been much more on board for this movie if Jude Law and Angelina Jolie as the mains. Gwyneth and Jude didn't have nearly enough chemistry to hold this movie up.

They better mention that the villian is on screen for 10 seconds and the camera has not got its lens on