🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

HDTGM Classics Vol 10 The Love Guru 6/15 9PM EST

If I could figure it out...

giphy.gif

I could host sometime. Not sure how you guys decide that.

• Like 3

I'm gonna get all sunshiney - but I just love the Classic HDTGM nights. Straight up hating movies with you guys is just the best.

tenor.gif?itemid=4241892

That rug reminded me of the movie and now I hate group hugs.

• Like 4

I hate myself for watching this alone

• Like 7

Well, maybe that’s what you get for going to your “important work function” instead of thinking of us

• Like 6

This is the saddest thing I've ever read.

• Like 5

Did you just end up stealing your own jokes?

• Like 5

Did you just end up stealing your own jokes?

I did! I am a total jerk.

• Like 5

In 2 days I could post a facebook message that someone who appears in the Love Guru sent me 10 years ago via Facebook DM

Let's see how I do it without throwing him under the bus...

• Like 3

Holy shit! Ten year anniversary of Rob shitting on his own movie! What a day!

This also answers our questions that night about why they still proceeded to cover this movie if their friend was in it.

• Like 4

I do want to know why so many funny people are in such an unfunny movie.

• Like 3

I do want to know why so many funny people are in such an unfunny movie.

There are so many stories of actors who are in classic movies who don't know they're going to be good - Josh Brolin was on WTF recently and said that he and Benicio Del Toro assumed 'Sicario' was a piece of shit the entire time they were making it. Sometimes the opposite is true too - you're working with someone who is a known hitmaker, from 'Wayne's World' to 'Austin Powers', so in small chunks maybe the idea of 'Love Guru' seemed okay. Maybe if Guru Pitka was an SNL character audiences came to love, it might have been a different movie. When 'Austin Powers' was first advertised, it seemed so stupid and unfunny but it hit a cultural moment and was a big hit, so that's clearly what everyone was banking on. I think if you read these scripts in isolation - listen to Paul's episode of 'I Was There Too' about 'Meet Dave', where he flew to California to shoot it, reading the script and cackling with delight over being cast in this sure-fire smash hit comedy (MEET DAVE!) - maybe they can seem better than they are.

I mean honestly, you tell any actor in Hollywood that they can be in a Mike Myers vehicle that also stars Jessica Alba and Justin Timberlake? You sign up.

• Like 5

There are so many stories of actors who are in classic movies who don't know they're going to be good - Josh Brolin was on WTF recently and said that he and Benicio Del Toro assumed 'Sicario' was a piece of shit the entire time they were making it. Sometimes the opposite is true too - you're working with someone who is a known hitmaker, from 'Wayne's World' to 'Austin Powers', so in small chunks maybe the idea of 'Love Guru' seemed okay. Maybe if Guru Pitka was an SNL character audiences came to love, it might have been a different movie. When 'Austin Powers' was first advertised, it seemed so stupid and unfunny but it hit a cultural moment and was a big hit, so that's clearly what everyone was banking on. I think if you read these scripts in isolation - listen to Paul's episode of 'I Was There Too' about 'Meet Dave', where he flew to California to shoot it, reading the script and cackling with delight over being cast in this sure-fire smash hit comedy (MEET DAVE!) - maybe they can seem better than they are.

I mean honestly, you tell any actor in Hollywood that they can be in a Mike Myers vehicle that also stars Jessica Alba and Justin Timberlake? You sign up.

Also add to that list everybody during the making of Mad Max Fury Road had no idea what was going on and assumed they were in a bomb as well.

The other thing to think about is a lot of these people were in a very different place 10 years ago or so. I'm sure John Oliver, Daniel Tosh, Rob Huebel, etc. were happy for any kind of exposure at that point in their careers as well. Like you said you're just starting to make it being in a Mike Meyers movie with big stars seems like a way to get noticed.

• Like 5

The other thing to think about is a lot of these people were in a very different place 10 years ago or so. I'm sure John Oliver, Daniel Tosh, Rob Huebel, etc. were happy for any kind of exposure at that point in their careers as well. Like you said you're just starting to make it being in a Mike Meyers movie with big stars seems like a way to get noticed.

I know you mean that Tosh is very much at a higher level now than then but even putting him in the middle of those two in a category of funny comedian makes me cringe lol.

• Like 4

I know you mean that Tosh is very much at a higher level now than then but even putting him in the middle of those two in a category of funny comedian makes me cringe lol.

I did used to love how much mileage Andy Zaltzman used to get out of reminding John Oliver of 'Dick Pants' on 'The Bugle'. Ah, I miss original Bugle.

• Like 1

I did used to love how much mileage Andy Zaltzman used to get out of reminding John Oliver of 'Dick Pants' on 'The Bugle'. Ah, I miss original Bugle.

I might be showing my age here, but I don't know who Andy Zaltzman is nor wtf Dick Pants or The Bugle are.

• Like 1

I might be showing my age here, but I don't know who Andy Zaltzman is nor wtf Dick Pants or The Bugle are.

Dick Pants is the name of John's character in 'Love Guru'. 'The Bugle' was (is) a weekly satirical news podcast where they just make fun of the stuff that's happened this week, filled with lies and jokes. It was started by John Oliver (before he was famous) and Andy Zaltzman, another standup. It's essentially the two of them just goofing off for 45 minutes a week. Eventually John got more and more famous and he had less time to do it, so now Andy does it with guest hosts, but it's less good now. Still, it's a good one, and you can get back episodes on Apple Podcasts.

• Like 2

Dick Pants is the name of John's character in 'Love Guru'. 'The Bugle' was (is) a weekly satirical news podcast where they just make fun of the stuff that's happened this week, filled with lies and jokes. It was started by John Oliver (before he was famous) and Andy Zaltzman, another standup. It's essentially the two of them just goofing off for 45 minutes a week. Eventually John got more and more famous and he had less time to do it, so now Andy does it with guest hosts, but it's less good now. Still, it's a good one, and you can get back episodes on Apple Podcasts.

Ah I completely erased the name of his character from my mind. Honestly thank god John Oliver recovered cause I really love his show.

• Like 3