🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays Week 40 La La Land

I keep saying "The movie doesn't show him being supportive of her" and you keep saying "Show me when he's not supportive." It's literally impossible to give you a quote from the movie or cite a scene that doesn't exist. The proof, in this case, is the LACK of evidence to the contrary. But you keep setting up a criteria to change your mind that doesn't exist and pretending like I'm just pulling it out of my ass while condescendingly telling me to cite the part of the movie where the thing doesn't happen.

As to her support, I could point to her supporting his idea for the jazz club, drawing the logo for that club, being at every show we see, dancing along with music she has said she doesn't really like, or even encouraging him to open the club instead of playing in a band he hates. And that's just off the top of my head. Most of the first two acts of this movie are her encouraging and supporting him.

I keep saying "The movie doesn't show him being supportive of her" and you keep saying "Show me when he's not supportive." It's literally impossible to give you a quote from the movie or cite a scene that doesn't exist. The proof, in this case, is the LACK of evidence to the contrary. But you keep setting up a criteria to change your mind that doesn't exist and pretending like I'm just pulling it out of my ass while condescendingly telling me to cite the part of the movie where the thing doesn't happen.

As to her support, I could point to her supporting his idea for the jazz club, drawing the logo for that club, being at every show we see, dancing along with music she has said she doesn't really like, or even encouraging him to open the club instead of playing in a band he hates. And that's just off the top of my head. Most of the first two acts of this movie are her encouraging and supporting him.

Yes. You keep saying that “The movie doesn’t show him being supportive of her” after I have given you MULTIPLE points in the movie where I feel like he’s being supportive. He encourages her. He bolsters her. He gives her confidence. (Do you know how awesome it is to have someone sit there and read your shit? That’s amazing! I can’t even tell you) and all you’ve said is “I don’t agree.” Fine. You don’t agree. I don’t care. I’m just asking you to tell me how the things I’ve presented AREN’T supportive beyond “I don’t feel like that’s being supportive and he’s a prick.”I mean, what the fuck do you want him to do? Should he write her fucking play for her? Give her a thumbs up through the window while she’s auditioning? Lol

And I’m not saying he’s a perfect guy, but for whatever reason, you seem unwilling to give him a chance or acknowledge his good qualities. I mean, you’re getting angry at me right now for the mere suggestion that he might be okay sometimes.

You don’t have to love him. But whether you like him or not, whether you’d rather she be with Shades or whatever, Mia loves him. That’s a big part of the movie whether you agree with it or not. And even if he’s not perfect, there’s a reason why she loves him.

Anyway, I’m on vacation now guys! I might pop in from time to time, but I most likely won’t be around until next week. Have fun!

ETA: Those are moments when she’s been supportive. I knew she probably had, but beyond going to his shows, I was drawing a blank. Ultimately, I think they’re equally supportive.

• Like 3

Great observations, Max! Plenty of excellent things there that we didn't get to yet!

I really like the idea that the original version of this opening number featured Mia and Seb (although Boulder City doesn't fit into the lyrics as nicely as Santa Fe), but I think it's the right call to remove them from it. Whenever I watch this number I'm always distracted by knowing that every single person dancing on those cars are all living their dream trying to break in to being in the movies, and are another inch closer, but are still anonymous. In ten years we'll talk knowingly about how the next big star was one of the car dancing people, way in the background. The stories about dropping everything and coming to LA with a dream and not a dime in their pockets are probably incredibly familiar to most of those extras. Anyone notice the old dude awkwardly clapping (in the blue shirt on the left in the gif below) in the part where they open the back of the truck? I want to know HIS deal!

giphy.gif

• Like 5

Okay gonna look forward to an upcoming musical but holy shit I didn't even recognize Gaga when I first saw this poster!

MV5BMjA1NzQyMzIzNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwODIwNDY2NTM@._V1_SY999_SX999_AL_.jpg

• Like 4

Great observations, Max! Plenty of excellent things there that we didn't get to yet!

I really like the idea that the original version of this opening number featured Mia and Seb (although Boulder City doesn't fit into the lyrics as nicely as Santa Fe), but I think it's the right call to remove them from it. Whenever I watch this number I'm always distracted by knowing that every single person dancing on those cars are all living their dream trying to break in to being in the movies, and are another inch closer, but are still anonymous. In ten years we'll talk knowingly about how the next big star was one of the car dancing people, way in the background. The stories about dropping everything and coming to LA with a dream and not a dime in their pockets are probably incredibly familiar to most of those extras. Anyone notice the old dude awkwardly clapping (in the blue shirt on the left in the gif below) in the part where they open the back of the truck? I want to know HIS deal!

giphy.gif

I know that guy! Towards the end of the number, you can see him in the background doing that overhead clap thing and the hustle. It's hard to see in this screenshot though.

q1bfmGR.png

• Like 3

I really like the idea that the original version of this opening number featured Mia and Seb (although Boulder City doesn't fit into the lyrics as nicely as Santa Fe)

Yeah... But my point was that Boulder City is west of Santa Fe like the lyrics of the song... 9 hours away, but still

https://www.google.es/maps/vt/data=tYSkNwQvn6cDM0KAYLHi2ewwl4Ja2nLzMJMi00kwAVt3xG1n0t12zOmcNMnpw_b8J3mfVSk1_4SNRaUBJ3waMFoTEI0A3UzVqhfP3kZSAfL3St1GA3SMYHt7h99nP6hQddWKbhHqs3PP0UwZV8ir0pFhBwN6rPXXz4VYKhmIm62n,xqkVCr4BeNcyBdt3iwbE5Gnfw5ZTI04l9KpUhE4S2m35qhcUXGkQ58CNACaq5_LmzH0t4HLXSObACH1cF2OcU_m0_aaVHySBEsgeVcoEZOuzL4QWON-3qBVeLXyp_XwZvMPoaXNDx58-5DH0KAxc--VPUM0KgJPfEp1n0FkaQFyyXB9LwBEBXQ9JtJAaM-wY3EmyP6JQdKPMhvafeyP9F6knMoa9_g9DzWtnRfcW1A7BxdYDKr-GGxwsaM5aBk5Zz337XkS0ADO3-1MEjKdQgEik0kymptyVlCZL7dh8TutaMX-f-vv0dJFFaGDsEA9PpiA6YIRViP4fMumRdr3jxIbE25XyA_kMNLNnsK78px9ptSteGli1KflmQDiH68o?scale=3&;h=140

It just shows the true disconnect that Seb has from what Hollywood is like and what Mia's life is like. Yeah her making her thing and doing her show got her noticed, but she still didn't end up making her own thing, she just got yet another audition that ended up going really well that time.

Completely agree... The other thing is that both of them placed all their eggs on the one woman play basket and in the John Legend's band basket in hopes of using those as fast track stepping stones to their dreams and after prematurely deciding to live together overnight (IMHO) but its only when they faill and/or felt like crap afterwards because you have to put in the work or sell out to make it in Hollywood apparently then they start blaming each other for taking the advices and motivations of the other (the surprise dinner scene and Mia going back home after the low attendance of her play) They had to take responsibility for their own actions at some point and expect the possibility of failure in any of their ventures. They are both adults so they don't have the right to complain and blame each other for their faliures or because they feel shity... It's a big surprise that their relationship lasted as long with all that toxic destructive dynamics (I think they only did want they did because the script needed them as the worst versions of themselves so the ending is more impactful that way)

Yeah, but he's not wrong about 'can't you rehearse anywhere'.  It's a one-woman show she's directing herself in, and she's not using the theatre space yet.  Arguably she could go and rehabilitate her relationship in Idaho and work on her lines in the hotel room.  And I say this as a long-time theatre professional, so this does not come from a place of disrespecting the art.  I get that she's close to opening but it's not as though she had to work on her wirework or firebreathing.  He was blunt, but she shot down his bid without discussion.  He's come home unexpectedly, which surely must have taken a great effort, and sprung this idea of her coming on tour too, so her reaction was pretty shitty.

This is the other reason I don't see the real connection between this film and 'The Last Five Years' - in this film, Mia NEVER has an acting job. Not one until Paris. There's no montage of her being in shitty commercials, or working background, or being on a pilot that got canned.  If he was saying 'hey, rehearse in my hotel room' and she was at Groundlings or UCB or training (SHE ALSO NEVER TRAINS - GET SOME CLASSES AND MAYBE YOU'LL WORK MORE), then she might have a point.  But literally the first time she ever acts is when Seb suggests she makes her own work, and then she's surprised no one comes.

3 things about this post...

* Yeah Mia could help defuse the situation on her part and put her money where her mouth is and at least give it a thought to the practice on the road proposal, cuz she called minutes before saying she misses him but then does a 180° at the dinner scene (and I know Seb didn't help either cuz both them were making it worse)

* Maybe Mia did not have speaking parts or maybe she was just an extra on a bunch of stuff but when the male casting director is looking at her headshot the back has a lot of text so I'm guessing she had some bit parts here and there but nothing of note

* IMHO By the end the size of the crowd in Mia's play is moot cuz only the casting director was the only important member in that audience

Personally, I just don't think that's necessarily fair to her. Yeah it may be something where she can rehearse lines, but it's not just that for herself. The show was opening in two weeks and she very clearly was feeling the stress of the entire thing. She'd need to set up the stage, spread the word, and make sure the lines and blocking were ready. So if she felt like she needed to be in LA for that then that's completely her decision because it's what she needed to get this show together.

I think that's more a failing of this movie than really anything we can surmise about Mia. She said she had been doing this LA thing for 6 years and so we have no actual idea what training she had or if she had taken any classes or even landed any bit parts on anything to get some cash because those things weren't relevant to the story that Damien wanted to tell.

Yes I also mean if she wanted to better her relationship she would of rehearse in Idaho (by making a sacrifice because Seb was not right on pressuring her to go with him that time and in that way) but she wanted to have the maximum rehearsal time and peace of mind before her play and thought that Seb would understand I'm guessing...

She has a barista's job but lives in a huge apartment, drives a Prius, doesn't seem to come from wealth...  She might get rejected a bunch, but nearly all of her audition bits are terrible (the only good one she does is the one that gets interrupted by the assistant).  I just never get the feeling she's earned her stardom. She's fallen backwards into success and acts like she's entitled to it the entire time.  Six years of not getting cast?  I can hear a legion of hard-working people in LA saying 'boo-hoo' in chorus.

And let us not forget that she can't even fix her cracked iPhone screen... Her money situation is not ideal.

The road to hell is paved with good intentions />/>/>

Not but seriously, of course she would have known that he wanted her to be around because he loved her, but any way he could have worded that it would've probably gotten the same result, because the timing just wasn't right for them. They were both neck deep in something they didn't believe they could break away from and that can cause some lack of proper communication in any relationship. They were both simultaneously right and wrong, and to me it does really highlight the fact that they were never destined to work out together.

Agreed.

• Like 6

Completely agree... The other thing is that both of them placed all their eggs on the one woman play basket and in the John Legend's band basket in hopes of using those as fast track stepping stones to their dreams and after prematurely deciding to live together overnight (IMHO) but its only when they faill and/or felt like crap afterwards because you have to put in the work or sell out to make it in Hollywood apparently then they start blaming each other for taking the advices and motivations of the other (the surprise dinner scene and Mia going back home after the low attendance of her play) They had to take responsibility for their own actions at some point and expect the possibility of failure in any of their ventures. They are both adults so they don't have the right to complain and blame each other for their faliures or because they feel shity... It's a big surprise that their relationship lasted as long with all that toxic destructive dynamics (I think they only did want they did because the script needed them as the worst versions of themselves so the ending is more impactful that way)

Ah Max you put so much about what I felt about that scene into words that I couldn't!

• Like 3

If I could just say some things about Mia and Seb's relationship...

I think when I saw this movie for the first time, I definitely just had this sort of knee-jerk sympathy with Mia. I know that a logical response might be to her frustration/desperation with constantly getting rejected is "find a new job in which humiliating rejection isn't something you experience 9 times a week!" But I think that is the lot people who choose to make art as a living, especially acting, face in their profession. Let's face it, people who make art (writing, acting, painting, whatevs) need approval from their peers and their audience to function as artists. If they didn't need it, crave it like I crave the caress of Chris Hemsworth's luscious blonde locks, they would be satisfied with creating their art in a vacuum, plastering their bedrooms with it, and leaving it at that. At the same time, they are the most prone to the feeling of dejection and defeat upon being rejected. It's an effective system Hollywood has set up: become a city that manufactures dreams to attract dreamers, create a process that requires those dreamers to have their dreams crushed 1,000 times before they can fulfill one dream. It might not be as purposeful or malicious as all that, but it's certainly how Mia feels. There's such a hard-wired insecurity in a lot of artists (not all, but it's true for meeeeeeeeeeee) about themselves and their work, but there is still a need to do it. TO MAKE SHIT. So even if we know it is unhealthy, our desire to create will make us smash our heads into the gatekeepers of that particular art form. Or just not do it. It's why so many of the Most Successful actors are actually sort of well adjusted (Benedict Cumberbatch, Anthony Hopkins, Angelina Jolie); they don't need that validation, or maybe they never did. They are secure enough in themselves and their abilities that they can create their own validation (those millions of dollars help too). See also people who transferred performing into creating like Tina Fey and Amy Poehler. The latter is what Mia tries to do with her one-woman show, but it is initially a failure, which is all the more devastating to her, even if her planning (as elucidated by posters more eloquent than me) was less-than-ideal.

This is why Seb's lack of attendance is such a bridge too far for their relationship. I am on the side of Cameron H. in that I see him as being supportive and encouraging of her at certain points in the relationship, but this is where he just utterly fails her. She needed him to be there, to be the one bulwark against the crushing defeat of her poorly-attended baring-of-her-soul, and he wasn't. At that moment in her life, it is almost unimaginable for something to have a more piercing thrust into her deepest insecurities. Is it fair or healthy for her to depend so heavily on the support of her boyfriend for her mental well-being? Probably not. Is this relationship poisonously codependent, which is doubly hazardous when one party is frequently thousands of miles away? MAYBE. But it was SUPER IMPORTANT for her, and it's the job of people in love to support each other. So even if they weren't truly in love, they kind of thought they were. They were caught up in this whirlwind of passion for each other and their chosen art and they got eviscerated like so many heist-pullers being sucked through a mall ceiling during a Hurricane Heist.

• Like 3

Thanks again, Cake for picking this! It was fun to revisit!

• Like 4

This popped up on Letterboxd this morning.

https://letterboxd.c...m/la-la-land-2/

Why?!?!?

Also, I wish this was real. https://aboveaverage...ing-saving-ska/

Are you sure that's not just someone doing some wish casting? I can't find a single legitimate article that confirms this, and Letterboxd doesn't pull from IMDB but rather TMDB which is a fan updated site.

Are you sure that's not just someone doing some wish casting? I can't find a single legitimate article that confirms this, and Letterboxd doesn't pull from IMDB but rather TMDB which is a fan updated site.

I'm not sure about anything. But honestly, would anyone be surprised if it were true? I mean, http://www.nme.com/news/film/baby-driver-2-already-in-the-works-2168341

• Like 1

It's not Wright, it's the truckload of money Sony dumped on his doorstep. He went from being staunchly anti-sequel to writing it in minutes.

It's not Wright, it's the truckload of money Sony dumped on his doorstep. He went from being staunchly anti-sequel to writing it in minutes.

Lol well everyone certainly has a price. I tried to convince myself yesterday that there would be no price point to make me go to a call center job and I stopped myself mid sentence and admitted, "No, I can think of a dollar amount that would get me in..."

Oh good god. WE DON'T NEED ANY MORE OF THIS STORY EDGAR.

What if the movie is just Baby running over Kevin Spacey for two hours?

What if the movie is just Baby running over Kevin Spacey for two hours?

Nah cause he would still have to get paid for that and I don't want that mfer to get a single dime for any upcoming anything.

Nah cause he would still have to get paid for that and I don't want that mfer to get a single dime for any upcoming anything.

What if it were Christopher Plummer?

• Like 3