🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
AlmostAGhost

Upcoming Episodes

I'm a bit confused at how they know the episodes this far in advance. I'm not a dice non-believer or anything, but if they record the episodes the week they release them (evidenced by the fact that they play recordings of people calling-in from that week), and they roll the die at the end of the episode, it seems like they should only know one week in advance.

6 minutes ago, ProfessorRockstar said:

I'm a bit confused at how they know the episodes this far in advance. I'm not a dice non-believer or anything, but if they record the episodes the week they release them (evidenced by the fact that they play recordings of people calling-in from that week), and they roll the die at the end of the episode, it seems like they should only know one week in advance.

Pretty sure they either edit the endings on, or just fake the conversation at the end.  They really do roll the dice, we just may be hearing a recreation of the moment every week.

Clearly they drop the intros in too, so they can talk about our responses. They may not be recorded at the same time as the 'heart' of the podcast.

The intros, where they talk about feedback on the previous episode, and where they play call-ins, are taped weekly.  The rest of the episode, where they talk about a movie, do an interview, and choose the next movie, can be taped as far in advance as they need.

At any rate, Mr. Smith Goes To Washington still does not seem to be available on any subscription service, so I recommend checking your local library (mine had two copies!) or you'll have to use money to watch it.  As for the rest:

Sophie's Choice is available to stream through Amazon Prime: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075DQBMN9/

A Clockwork Orange is also available to stream through Amazon Prime: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07K6VF6TK/

Rocky can be streamed for free with ads through Crackle at https://www.sonycrackle.com/rocky or through YouTube at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Etojf-AFVXI 

8 hours ago, ProfessorRockstar said:

One thing is they almost certainly record episodes well in advance.

12 hours ago, grudlian. said:

One thing is they almost certainly record episodes well in advance.

And it's obvious they record the audience phone calls separately from the rest of the show. That probably takes them all of 5 minutes to comment on some phone calls and then they can go about whatever they need to do for the day.

2 hours ago, ol' eddy wrecks said:

Criterion channel is coming back spring 2019.

https://www.criterion.com/current/posts/6044-new-independent-criterion-channel-to-launch-spring-2019

Probably not as good for the AFI list as the TCM/core-filmstruck part. Criterion had the rights to Spartacus at one point and has Dr Strangelove. And I think a good chunk of the silents. I think. 

I'll sign up for it, even though FilmStruck was better.  Last I checked, the Criterion Channel had 5-10 of the AFI list, including, as you mentioned, all 3 Chaplins on the list.

10 hours ago, bleary said:

I'll sign up for it, even though FilmStruck was better.  Last I checked, the Criterion Channel had 5-10 of the AFI list, including, as you mentioned, all 3 Chaplins on the list.

Well TCM/core-filmstruck + criterion is going to be better than just criterion.  I think that is just simple set theory.  And I think we're paying as much for just that as TCM + criterion, but I kept Hulu around for probably a year just for when it had criterion, and when it left for the launch of filmstruck, I signed up for filmstruck since day one.  So, you know I'll be signing up for this.

mini-update:

11/22 Ep. 28 - Sophie's Choice

11/29 Ep. 29 - A Clockwork Orange

12/6 Ep. 30 - Rocky

sometime in December: It's A Wonderful Life

• Like 1

10 hours ago, AlmostAGhost said:

mini-update:

11/22 Ep. 28 - Sophie's Choice

11/29 Ep. 29 - A Clockwork Orange

12/6 Ep. 30 - Rocky

sometime in December: It's A Wonderful Life

Mr. Smith Goes to Washington at the midterms, and It's A Wonderful Life in December? Call me a die skeptic. 😉

1 hour ago, WatchOutForSnakes said:

Mr. Smith Goes to Washington at the midterms, and It's A Wonderful Life in December? Call me a die skeptic. 😉

Don't forget Psycho in October!  There aren't a lot of horror movies on the AFI's list.

That said, Citizen KaneBen-Hur, and 2001 weren't determined by a die roll.  That "sometime in December" makes me think there's a reasonable chance they just went, "It's December, we're going to see it anyway, let's just discuss it now."  But we'll see!

• Like 1

Yea, I think they use the die 95% of the time, but let other things dictate sometimes. I do think Mr. Smith was a coincidence though! 

They implied once that they may do the two Godfathers back to back, so we don't have a situation where we we're watching the second one first. Wonderful Life is more than appropriate in December too, and if they force it this December we don't have to fight the die if they roll it next year before next Christmas.

Are there any other situations like these on the list we should bring up to them?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AlmostAGhost said:

Are there any other situations like these on the list we should bring up to them?

I'd like them to do All The President's Men sometime during Trump's impeachment trial. So, hopefully soon.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, grudlian. said:

I'd like them to do All The President's Men sometime during Trump's impeachment trial. So, hopefully soon.

Totally coincidentally, I swear, I am watching Bambi and clearly the forest fire at the end was because nobody raked the floors

• Like 3

17 hours ago, AlmostAGhost said:

Yea, I think they use the die 95% of the time, but let other things dictate sometimes. I do think Mr. Smith was a coincidence though! 

They implied once that they may do the two Godfathers back to back, so we don't have a situation where we we're watching the second one first. Wonderful Life is more than appropriate in December too, and if they force it this December we don't have to fight the die if they roll it next year before next Christmas.

I'm not seeing any obvious ones that should override a die roll (though I don't know if I would have picked It's a Wonderful Life out of the list).

Anniversary showings where a movie returns to the big screen would make sense, like 2001 was.

Only one I know of right now that's slated to do that is Schindler's List.

On 11/18/2018 at 7:12 PM, AlmostAGhost said:

They could do Jaws during shark week. Or 12 Angry Men when the Adnan Syed retrial happens.

2 hours ago, ProfessorRockstar said:

They could do Jaws during shark week. Or 12 Angry Men when the Adnan Syed retrial happens.

I'm glad we're doing this.

• Obviously, Star Wars on the week of May 4th.
  • Saving Private Ryan on D-Day.
  • Yankee Doodle Dandy on 4th of July.
  • Chinatown for February 5 (Chinese New Year).
  • Toy Story for the release of Toy Story 4.
  • North By Northwest for Presidents' Day?
  • Sunset Boulevard for the Oscars?
  • Intolerance for MLK Day? 😈
  • One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest for April Fool's Day?
  • Some Like It Hot or Tootsie for International Women's Day?
  • Dr. Strangelove for the apocalypse?
  • Like 1

Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid, All The President's Men, and The Princess Bride would all work now as in memoriam of William Goldman. 

ACO, if it wasn't coming up now would also work for July 4th (or July 14th).

But I don't know if either is strong enough to warrant overriding a die roll.

Though Jaws for shark week is pretty undeniable since Jaws is probably indirectly responsible for Shark Week.

Happy Holidays!

12/13 - Schindler's List [it's being re-released in theatres this week]

12/20 - It's A Wonderful Life [for Christmas]

12/27 - In The Heat Of The Night

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AlmostAGhost said:

Happy Holidays!

12/13 - Schindler's List [it's being re-released in theatres this week]

12/20 - It's A Wonderful Life [for Christmas]

If you don't catch Schindler's List in theaters, you can stream it from Netflix (in the US).

If you don't catch It's A Wonderful Life on TV, you can stream it from Amazon Prime.

If you can't get In The Heat Of The Night at your local library, it's on some subscription streaming service called IndieFlix.

• Like 1

1/3 - The Searchers

1/10 - Unforgiven

Let's kick off 2019 with some cowboys

On 12/5/2018 at 11:32 PM, bleary said:

If you don't catch Schindler's List in theaters, you can stream it from Netflix (in the US).

If you don't catch It's A Wonderful Life on TV, you can stream it from Amazon Prime.

If you can't get In The Heat Of The Night at your local library, it's on some subscription streaming service called IndieFlix.

In the Heat of the Night is on Amazon Prime. 

• Like 1