🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
AlmostAGhost

Upcoming Episodes

This isn't a knock on the podcast, because it is very well done and edited (and probably better than I could do) but as someone with a background in radio and audio editing, I can "hear" where the edits come from and how it is probably done. Like I said, this isn't a knock on the podcast and exactly how I would do it too. Some of the edits are obvious (the interviews in particular) and some aren't as obvious (the intros can sometimes be seamless and sometimes not quite) but they are well edited but edited nevertheless

I had a dream last night that Godfather I & II were announced as the next episodes. What does that say about me?

The pod description says next week is

4/11 - All The President's Men

so I don't know what happened to The Treasure Of The Sierra Madre, which was previously announced for next week

will try to find out

Twitter confirmation

4/11 - All The President's Men

4/18 - The Treasure of the Sierra Madre

• Thanks 1

4/25 - Chinatown

(haven't seen a post or comment yet with more future eps; but this is in this week's description. hopefully in the morning we'll get a bigger update.)

4/25 - Chinatown

5/2 - Tootsie

this feels like a really weird back-to-back to me, but not sure why lol

According to the Facebook group they have abandoned good ol' Zoey have decided to just start picking the movies that are left. I'm not sure if it was because of the crazy happenstances that have been happening with the rolls, or if they've recognized that being about halfway through means they could roll and land on something already covered, roll again and they land on a different movie they've already covered lol.

ETA: Apparently they also announced this in this week's episode WHOOPS! This is what I get for being behind!

I was hoping that abandoning the die would mean we'd get more upcoming films in advance!  At any rate, they announced on Twitter that they're recording an episode in front of an audience at Overlook Fest, so one would presume they'll do a horror film (or as horror a film as there are left)?  If that's the case, my guess would be Silence of the Lambs, which would be awesome.  It's not exactly horror, but with Psycho and Sixth Sense gone, there's not really any left on the list.  Maybe Jaws?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, bleary said:

I wasï»ż hoping that abandoning the die would mean we'd get more upcoming films in advance!  At any rate, they announced on Twitter that they're recording an episode in front of an audience atï»ż Overlook Fest, so one would presume they'll do a horror filmï»ż (or as horror a film as there are left)?  If that's the case, mï»ży guess would be Silence of the Lambs, which would be awesï»żome.  It's not exactly horror, but with Psycho and Sixth Sense gone, there's not really any left on the list.  Maybe Jaws?

I actually had a suspicion that the “real” reason they were losing the die was so they could plan live shows. This pretty much confirms that. Which I get. You need to cater to an audience, book a guest, etc. I don’t know why they couldn’t just say that, though. If they had just wanted a strong finale, they could have picked 10 or so “untouchable” movies and left the other 40 to chance.

Whatever they feel is best is fine, but I did enjoy the randomness of the die.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Cameron H. said:

If they had just wanted a strong finale, they could have picked 10 or so “untouchable” movies and left the other 40 to chance.

I think it was also a lot because of the fact that they could roll many times and land on a movie they've already done and no one wants to sit around for that. Someone on Facebook said they could've condensed the movies left over into a 1-50 list and then gotten a different die, which I think would've worked perfectly, and it's not like they haven't done away with a die roll in the past for special occasions.

4 minutes ago, taylorannephoto said:

I think it was also a lot because of the fact that they could roll many times and land on a movie they've already done and no one wants to sit around for that. Someone on Facebook said they could've condensed the movies left over into a 1-50 list and then gotten a different die, which I think would've worked perfectly, and it's not like they haven't done away with a die roll in the past for special occasions.

Or they could roll the die and round up or down to whatever the next movie is they haven't done.

Surprised next week isn't Boyz N The Hood but

5/7 - Silence of the Lambs 

Oh oops why did I think Boyz N The Hood was on the list? My bad

42 minutes ago, AlmostAGhost said:

Oh oops why did I think Boyz N The Hood was on the list? My bad

Hah, I was gonna say.

Spike Lee is the only black director on the list, I believe.

10 hours ago, Cameron H. said:

Or they could roll the die and round up or down to whatever the next movie is they haven't done.

To mimic rolling a 50 sided die, they could also just divide the d100 roll by 2.

Though the proper algorithm* for generating a random permutation requires decreasing n by 1 (of the, pick a random integer up to n) for each pick they make, so eh.

*: So you didn't not have to worry a out re-rolling, and keeping the probability uniform for every possible pick (going to the nearest unpicked one increases the odds of selecting ones next to previously picked one, eventually resulting in clusters of numbers that are likely to be picked**).

**: Back of napkin math reasoning, that has the possibility of being flawed.

5/9 - Silence of the Lambï»żï»żs 

5/16 - To Kill A Mockingbird

5/23 - Vertigo

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, AlmostAGhost said:

5/9 - Silence of the Lambï»żï»żs 

5/16 - To Kill A Mockingbird

5/23 - Vertigo

Huh, I would have thought they would have done another “State of the Podcast” episode after 50 movies...

5 minutes ago, Cameron H. said:

Huh, I would have thought they would have done another “State of the Podcast” episode after 50 movies...

i believe Vertigo is #50. i have 47 films on my Letterboxd list as of last week

3 minutes ago, AlmostAGhost said:

i believe Vertigo is #50. i have 47 films on my Letterboxd list as of last week

You know what? I already added Modern Times and The Gold Rush to my list. My bad. D’oh! 😜

I don't know if anyone cares (since I don't know if anyone is as obsessive about getting their movies for free as I am), but To Kill A Mockingbird is playing on TCM in the US this Sunday night, which means there's probably an 80% chance it will be available to stream for free through WatchTCM for a few days afterwards.  Just an option in case your local library's copy is already checked out, and I thought I'd mention it since TCM doesn't show up on justwatch.com.

5/30 - "50 EPISODES SPECIAL"

Me, I'm prob gonna use this week to rewatch a 1 or 2 of the early ones we did, or maybe some that my reaction to was less than the show's or you all's and see if I still feel the same.

Next week, we're releasing our live episode from the Overlook Film Festival in New Orleans, where we'll be debating what horror films should be on the AFI list.

Don't know what the next regular episode will be.

6/6 - Live From Overlook! episode
6/13 - Midnight Cowboy
6/20 - Toy Story
6/27 - The Deer Hunter

different types of cowboys for us

• Like 1

The website says that Do the Right Thing is between Toy Story and The Deer Hunter, but no such update on Twitter.  I guess we'll find out tomorrow.

• Like 1