AlmostAGhost

Upcoming Episodes

9/26 Spartacus
10/3 Some Like It Hot
10/10 American Graffiti
10/17 The Godfather
10/24 The Godfather Part 2

• Like 2

Me too... I thought for sure they would time Godfather Part 2 for the Fathom Event in November.

Almost 3 weeks since the last list of upcoming. Any idea what's after the Godfathers?

21 minutes ago, BP212 said:

Almost 3 weeks since the last list of upcoming. Any idea what's after the Godfathers?

Haven't seen anything yet. Since it's still two weeks of Godfathers, maybe they haven't gone ahead of that yet.

Amy's in Spain I think according to her instagram. Maybe when she gets back.

10/17 The Godfather
10/24 The Godfather Part II
10/31 The Grapes Of Wrath
11/7 Forrest Gump

• Like 3

11/7 Forrest Gump

11/14 The Best Years Of Our Lives

11/21 Annie Hall

11/28 Raging Bull

• Like 1

12 hours ago, AlmostAGhost said:

11/7 Forrest Gump

11/14 The Best Years Of Our Lives

11/21 Annie Hall

11/28 Raging Bull

I stopped posting where to stream these because justwatch.com makes it so easy, but it's worth mentioning that The Best Years of Our Lives will be shown on TCM on Veterans Day (November 11, which is presumably why Paul and Amy scheduled this one here) and will likely be available to stream on demand from TCM for a few days afterwards.

And while I'm mentioning it, TCM has an insanely good month of programming in November, including a whopping 25% of the AFI Top 100 list: Chinatown, Casablanca, On the Waterfront, North By Northwest, The Bridge on the River Kwai, The Searchers, The Grapes of Wrath, Sunrise, Tootsie, Shane, Dr. Strangelove, To Kill a Mockingbird, Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf?, Cabaret, The Last Picture Show, The Wild Bunch, The Maltese Falcon, All About Eve, Lawrence of Arabia, Citizen Kane, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Sullivan’s Travels, and Spartacus are yet to air on TCM this month.  Plus they're showing a few that got booted from the 1998 list, like GiantGuess Who's Coming to Dinner?, and Doctor Zhivago, plus some that I think should be on the list, like Dog Day Afternoon.  It's a dream month for anyone with TCM and a DVR.

That will be an interesting conversation, and I'll be very excited for the rest of us to compare our own Best of the Decade.

• Like 1

here's the upcoming schedule with a bit more specificity.

also for the record, i tried to ask Paul & Amy if they had any suggestions of what films to watch to prep for their discussion this week, but they didn't reply.

Dec. 5 - EP 83. BEST OF THE DECADE PART 1

Dec. 12 - EP 84. BEST OF THE DECADE PART 2

Dec. 19 - EP 85. Star Wars, Episode IV: A New Hope

Dec. 26 - EP 86. BEST OF THE DECADE PART 3

Jan. 2 - EP 87. BEST OF THE DECADE PART 4

• Like 1

Hmm, interesting that they're doing Star Wars before the 75 film check-in.  I wonder if they're just going to skip it this quarter.

I think that doing Star Wars when they are is a great idea. It not only will make it close to the release date of the new film, it breaks up all the "Best of the Decade" episodes nicely (especially great for me as I tend to have seen like 20% of those films), AND it even gives movies released towards the end of 2019 a better shot of making it in. They'd pretty much have to be released on Dec. 31st to not make it before recording. And even then, Paul and Amy may have gotten the chance to see them early.

I was curious so I made a list of the remaining 21 movies:

3. Casablanca
36. The Bridge on the River Kwai
40. The Sound of Music
45. Shane
46. It Happened One Night
47. A Streetcar Named Desire
48. Rear Window
49. Intolerance
54. MASH
56. Jaws
61. Sullivan's Travels
63. Cabaret
73. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
78. Modern Times
80. The Apartment
82. Sunrise
84. Easy Rider
87. 12 Angry Men
92. Goodfellas
97. Blade Runner
98. Yankee Doodle Dandy

• Like 1

the website, updated yesterday, is already out-of-date

1/30 - The Apartment
2/6 - Oscars preview!
2/10 - BONUS post-Oscars breakdown
2/13 - The Sound Of Music

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AlmostAGhost said:

I was curious so I made a list of the remaining 21 movies:

3. Casablanca
36. The Bridge on the River Kwai
40. The Sound of Music
45. Shane
46. It Happened One Night
47. A Streetcar Named Desire
48. Rear Window
49. Intolerance
54. MASH
56. Jaws
61. Sullivan's Travels
63. Cabaret
73. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
78. Modern Times
80. The Apartment
82. Sunrise
84. Easy Rider
87. 12 Angry Men
92. Goodfellas
97. Blade Runner
98. Yankee Doodle Dandy

I wonder which one they're going to end on. Casablanca seems like the only high ranking one left (if they want to end on a proverbial, cinematic high note).

I was kinda hoping they'd do Butch Cassidy right after The Wild Bunch because they both came out the same year*, both have an element of Americans going down to Mexico and getting in over their heads, having a band of bounty hunters on their tail, but so completely different.

* I didn't think to check the release date on these two until this rewatch and realizing it, it just seemed nuts.

one more

2/20 - Parasite (special episode)
2/27 - M*A*S*H
3/5 - Sunrise
3/12 - 12 Angry Men
3/19 - Sullivan's Travels

• Like 2

Slight change, doing a live ep this week instead of MASH. Assuming MASH will be the following week and the order is still the same

2/27 - Repo Man  (live episode)
3/5 - M*A*S*H
3/12 - Sunrise
3/19 - 12 Angry Men
3/25 - Sullivan's Travel