🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
AlmostAGhost

Upcoming Episodes

Aw man, I just watched 12 Angry Men today!

Then again, since I'm not going anywhere, I should also have time to rewatch Rear Window.

3/26. 12 Angry Men
4/2. Sullivan's Travels
4/9. Easy Rider
4/16. Intolerance
4/23. Cabaret

Today's episode said they're doing Cabaret next week instead of Intolerance.  Nothing yet mentioned on their Twitter, and the website still says Intolerance first, so 🤷‍♂️

11 minutes ago, bleary said:

Today's episode said they're doing Cabaret next week instead of Intolerance.  Nothing yet mentioned on their Twitter, and the website still says Intolerance first, so 🤷‍♂️

No problem! Intolerance is a breezy 1,000,000 hours long. You can probably watch both...

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Cameron H. said:

No problem! Intolerance is a breezy 1,000,000 hours long. You can probably watch both...

No amount of quarantine is enough for me to consider watching Intolerance again.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bleary said:

Website now says Cabaret is next.

• Like 1

Indeed.  As per website, schedule is now

4/16 - Cabaret
4/23 - Yankee Doodle Dandy
4/30 - Intolerance

• Like 1

4/23 - Yankee Doodle Dandy

4/30 - Intolerance

5/7 - GoodFellas

5/14 - Bridge Over The River Kwai

5/21 - A Streetcar Named Desire

• Like 2

We don't have very many movies left! According to my list: 

3. Casablanca

45. Shane

46. It Happened One Night

56. Jaws

73. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

78. Modern Times

97. Blade Runner

Predicting the last two episodes will be Jaws (4th of July weekend) and Casablanca (what better movie to end on?)

• Like 1

Next five!

5/21 Bridge on the River Kwai
5/28 A Streetcar Named Desire
6/4 Blade Runner
6/11 Shane
6/18 Modern Times

• Like 1

FYI, A Streetcar Named Desire, along with many other films on the list, is available to stream on HBO Max. If you subscribe to HBO or HBO Go you probably have access to Max at no extra charge.

• Like 1

next five!

6/4 Blade Runner
6/11 Shane
6/18 Modern Times
6/25 It Happened One Night
7/1 Jaws

• Like 1

The final four!

7/1 Jaws
7/8 Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
7/15 Casablanca

After that, we get Unspooled 2: Electric Boogaloo! Stay tuned to see what that means.

I think what we know so far: it isn't list-based, but there's a lot of movies to watch for it.

• Like 1

Unspooled 2 will be starting on August 20.

There will also be an Unspooled Game Show at some point. The brand is taking off! :)

On 6/18/2020 at 8:03 PM, AlmostAGhost said:

The final four!

7/1 Jaws
7/8 Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
7/15 Casablanca

After that, we get Unspooled 2: Electric Boogaloo! Stay tuned to see what that means.

I think what we know so far: it isn't list-based, but there's a lot of movies to watch for it.

I guess they'll want to rename that boogaloo part now, with the white supremist trying to start a race war and such. 

33 minutes ago, ol' eddy wrecks said:

I guess they'll want to rename that boogaloo part now, with the white supremist trying to start a race war and such. 

Oh, that was just me referencing the greatest sequel of all-time, not official. Didn't know it was a bad word now, sorry all

9 hours ago, AlmostAGhost said:

Oh, that was just me referencing the greatest sequel of all-time, not official. Didn't know it was a bad word now, sorry all

The word itself isn't inherently bad, but the white supremist group who killed some cops during the BLM protests as part of a plan to start a race war - that operation (or, I think it's supposed to be their code-word for their long standing, overall goal) got named after that sequel (at least AFAIK). Bonkers, right?

Anyhow, I was just guessing it's probably a little too soon to be casually doing reference jokes to it right now. A less extreme form of Archer had its spy agency named ISIS.

34 minutes ago, ol' eddy wrecks said:

The word itself isn't inherently bad, but the white supremist group who killed some cops during the BLM protests as part of a plan to start a race war - that operation (or, I think it's supposed to be their code-word for their long standing, overall goal) got named after that sequel (at least AFAIK). Bonkers, right?

Anyhow, I was just guessing it's probably a little too soon to be casually doing reference jokes to it right now. A less extreme form of Archer had its spy agency named ISIS.

I hadn't heard about that at all. Let's just say I'm reclaiming it back!

On 7/7/2020 at 10:47 AM, AlmostAGhost said:

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-06-17/far-right-boogaloo-boys-linked-to-killing-of-california-lawmen-other-violence

https://www.adl.org/blog/the-boogaloo-extremists-new-slang-term-for-a-coming-civil-war

/Disclaimer - linking without reading. Pretty sure they contain what I've heard.

On 7/7/2020 at 9:47 AM, AlmostAGhost said:

That's exactly what you should do. Letting trolls claim popular things like the OK symbol or Pepe the Frog is completely self defeating.

Season 2: Genre Exploration!

First up, the genre of 'Back To School' Coming Of Age films

8/20: Mean Girls
8/27: Stand and Deliver
9/3: 400 Blows
9/10: Rebel without a Cause
9/17: Cooley High
9/24: Fast Times at Ridgemont High
10/1: (use #BackToUnspooled suggest the last movie)

(suggestions for the last one that they mentioned: Grease, Battle Royale, Election, Dazed and Confused, Back To School)

Kind of strange to include 400 Blows and Battle Royale on possible inclusions to the AFI list.

2 hours ago, grudlian. said:

Kind of strange to include 400 Blows and Battle Royale on possible inclusions to the AFI list.

I am glad we're getting other countries. The AFI isn't really part of this anymore, I don't think.

26 minutes ago, AlmostAGhost said:

I am glad we're getting other countries. The AFI isn't really part of this anymore, I don't think.

I guess it depends on the framing.  It sounded like the pivot away from doing the list still sounded like, "what we'd like to put on the list."  Which then is a, "what list?," because as of right now, it sounds like "replacement for the AFI top 100 list," which gets back to grudlian's point of, kind of weird to talk about foreign films for the AFI list, since the AFI list is, well, it is what it is.

I suppose there is a framing that makes the progression make sense*, but at the moment, it still feels like it highlights the flaw in the original conceit of using the AFI list as the marker (too restrictive, too American-centric).

*: In terms of progression it might make sense to work up to a more international list, such as The Sight & Sound (or the top 100 from TSPDT) in something like a hypothetical season 3 (or if they're doing the Sight & Sound list, the season timed with the expected 2022 update).