đź”’ The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... Ă—
AlmostAGhost

Upcoming Episodes

To be clear for everyone: they are taking this week off, and returning next week with the Listeners' Choice.

4 hours ago, sycasey 2.0 said:

To be clear for everyone: they are taking this week off, and returning next week with the Listeners' Choice.

Oh I didn't know that! I was just about to hit play on Dogtooth but now I'll wait a bit.

Here's the next series called #CoupleGoals

1/14 - When Harry Met Sally

1/21 - Chungking Express

1/28 - Groundhog Day

2/4 - A Place In The Sun

2/11 - Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

2/18 - Love & Basketball

2/25 - Brokeback Mountain

3/4 - fan choice #unsmooched

• Like 1

I feel like In the Mood for Love is the best WKW movie according to the general consensus (it probably doesn't help for me that IntMfL has aged well for me as I've gotten older and Chungking Express has not. But my impression is it still holds a lot of emotional weight for a lot of other people). Criterion's releasing a World of WKW blu-ray set in February I think, so the timing of this probably could have been a little more better, luck-wise.

It crossed my mind that for other movies both Lanthimos and Ozu would have movies that could qualify (The Lobster and Late Spring - though I guess the latter is a bit of a stretch).

Though in terms of movies that came to mind (after In the Mood for Love), were things such as Mulholland Drive, Eyes Wide Shut, Contempt, Ali: Fear Eats the Soul, Jeanne Dielmanne (okay, not a couple and super-cynical, but possibly the appropriate antithesis of everything else), L'Avventura, Hiroshima mon Amour...

The one that Is probably vote is pretty much a straight love story - The Earrings of Madame de...

(L'Avventura would probably be my second choice for the series).

On 2/27/2021 at 6:25 AM, hahmstrung said:

The Princess Bride is a great film but it's not really about a relationship.

True. One could argue Chungking Express isn't either.

5 hours ago, sycasey 2.0 said:

True. One could argue Chungking Express isn't either.

Eh, IDK, Chungking Express is entirely about relationship problems whereas Princess Bride features a relationship but I wouldn't say the film is about that.

next mini-series!

true-life sports movies

#Underdogs

3/11 Hoosiers

3/18 Brian's Song

3/25 Cool Runnings

4/1 Chariots of Fire

4/8 A League of their Own

4/15 listeners' pick

• Like 2

Not including Hoop Dreams seems like a big miss to me. Especially when including Hoosiers, which history has looked back on it and commented on it having a great-white-hope, race-problem. But, eh. *shrugs*.

Sorry I got the dates all wrong, or they changed since I saw the announcement on Twitch.

Looks like Hoosiers is next week, so shift everything a week

I’d like to nominate Next Goal Wins to be the viewer choice for this one.

They’re also working on a high-end scripted version of it that’s being directed by Taika Waititi and starring Michael Fassbender.

But yeah, definitely watch the trailer for the existing documentary version. It has a 100% score on Rotten Tomatoes for a reason.

Space movie #2 for next week is Galaxy Quest

every pick is I guess by the fans this series and we won't know more than a week in advance

if people want to get ahead, Paul did post two insta polls on his and the unspooled insta stories:

Right Stuff or Apollo 13? [Apollo 13 is winning pretty easily]

Starship Troopers or Alien [Alien is winning by a lot too]

Haven’t seen Right Stuff, but I still want to give it to Apollo 13. It’s a great film that’s 99% true (pretty much the only thing that didn’t happen is the astronauts never fought between themselves) and has the great backstory of how the space scenes were shot in the training plane that simulates zero-G.

Apollo 13 was chosen over the Right Stuff. I would have voted the other way, if voting was on this forum rather than some social media platform.