🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

The French Connection

The French Connection  

12 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Does "The French Connection" belong on the AFI List?

• Yes
    • No

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/01/19 at 08:00 AM

If you don't mind me asking, how did you discover IWTT first? It's interesting that you discovered a WolfPop (RIP) show before an EarWolf show.

I can't exactly remember, but it was around 2012 (maybe?) and I read a listicle which ran down 'the ten best podcasts of the year' or something, and the concept interested me. I started out listening to history podcasts mostly (Dan Carlin's Hardcore History was my main thing for a long time) but IWTT got me into comedy podcasting, which led me to HDTGM, then that got me on to the Pod F. Tompkast, then then Dead Authors Podcast, then Spontaneanation, then You Talking U2 To Me/RU Talking REM Re: Me, which led me to Comedy Bang! Bang!, then Unspooled, and the ad on Unspooled led me to Obscure with Michael Ian Black, which is the one I'm most happy about these days.

A circuitous way in but it's been fun circling around all these properties. So much listening goodness!

• Like 2

I can't exactly remember, but it was around 2012 (maybe?) and I read a listicle which ran down 'the ten best podcasts of the year' or something, and the concept interested me. I started out listening to history podcasts mostly (Dan Carlin's Hardcore History was my main thing for a long time) but IWTT got me into comedy podcasting, which led me to HDTGM, then that got me on to the Pod F. Tompkast, then then Dead Authors Podcast, then Spontaneanation, then You Talking U2 To Me/RU Talking REM Re: Me, which led me to Comedy Bang! Bang!, then Unspooled, and the ad on Unspooled led me to Obscure with Michael Ian Black, which is the one I'm most happy about these days.

A circuitous way in but it's been fun circling around all these properties. So much listening goodness!

I’m excited about Obscure, as well! I haven’t listened yet, but that’s right up my alley.

• Like 2

AFI Movies Currently On-sale on iTunes (in HD)!

iTunes just added Tootsie for 4.99 for anyone interested ;)

• Like 2

iTunes just added Tootsie for 4.99 for anyone interested ;)

tenor.gif?itemid=3915584

• Like 2

I’m excited about Obscure, as well! I haven’t listened yet, but that’s right up my alley.

Oh man, it's so good. All the way through listening I kept thinking, 'I really have to text Cameron and make sure he's listening to this one.'

• Like 2

I can never get bored with The French Connection and wonder if that's because it was the first adult (in the proper sense) film I saw at the cinema. For me the most important character is 1970s New York itself while the people in the city stumble around until they all come together at the end with a wave and a bang.

The car chase is, for me, still the greatest ever filmed mainly due to the anger and emotion behind the thrills. Later films have better stunt driving but they don't have a screaming Hackman behind the wheel.

• Like 2

I'm so happy that Amy and I share similar feelings about this movie because I was seeing everyone's rating of it on Letterboxd and I kept thinking I either missed something or just didn't get it. I even started watching a second time and got about halfway through when I realized no I didn't miss anything and yeah I get it but I don't really like it. I certainly appreciate it for what it is and I do think that chase scene is c'est magnifique but like they said in the podcast I felt like I was dropped in the middle of a conversation being expected to have the info from the beginning.

Not quite sure I would agree with removing this from the list tbh, because despite how I didn't really like it I can definitely see it's impact on cinema ever since and for that alone I think it deserves to stay. When I saw Baby Driver at the Alamo Drafthouse they had a beginning thing where Edgar Wright talked about the movies that inspired him to make this and French Connection was one of them. I remembered his fondness so clearly for the subway chase scene but I didn't remember what movie it was from until Gene Hackman got into the car and suddenly I was very tuned in to what Edgar had said he had loved so much about this part. I think that alone made me appreciate the movie more and got me going for the rest of the film. Otherwise I may have just been permanently tuned out.

• Like 4

Not quite sure I would agree with removing this from the list tbh, because despite how I didn't really like it I can definitely see it's impact on cinema ever since and for that alone I think it deserves to stay. When I saw Baby Driver at the Alamo Drafthouse they had a beginning thing where Edgar Wright talked about the movies that inspired him to make this and French Connection was one of them. I remembered his fondness so clearly for the subway chase scene but I didn't remember what movie it was from until Gene Hackman got into the car and suddenly I was very tuned in to what Edgar had said he had loved so much about this part. I think that alone made me appreciate the movie more and got me going for the rest of the film. Otherwise I may have just been permanently tuned out.

Haha, that little intro from Wright is the reason I watched French connection in the first place.

• Like 4

Haha, that little intro from Wright is the reason I watched French connection in the first place.

Do you remember what the other films he had listed were? I literally apparently have a massive case of June and wiped all of them from my memory.

• Like 3

Do you remember what the other films he had listed were? I literally apparently have a massive case of June and wiped all of them from my memory.

Definitely Bullitt.

• Like 4

I feel like this one is available to stream quite often, but iTunes just put Rocky on sale for 7.99.

I am not a fan of the Exorcist, so I wouldn't swap that out for French Connection. I legitimately love the French Connection, though I tend to be a sucker for the darker 70s movies and cop movies. But also French Connection made Gene Hackman a movie star, and then he went on to be one of the biggest stars of the 70s (and beyond). I'm so glad that we get Bonnie and Clyde soon because he's one of the best things in that movie and he's so different there.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this