🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
DaltonMaltz

Submit your pick for The Canon's Ultimate Listener's Choice!

Would love to see some heroic bloodshed. But any episode on this sub genre has to include Ringo Lam’s City on Fire. Not only did inspire countless imitators, but Tarantino borrowed large chunks of the film for Reservoir Dogs.

City on Fire vs. The Killer?

I guess the general sense I'm getting is to leave nothing for later and treat this as a series finale (who knows how long this hiatus could last). That also motivates me to nominate only films that won't eventually be discussed by Amy and Paul on Unspooled (sorry, Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?).

We already have a Fellini in the Canon with Nights of Cabiria, so I don't know if I absolutely need 8 1/2 to be nominated, even though I love it. Ditto with Lynch and Mulholland Drive.

My favorite Bergmans are Wild Strawberries and Persona, with the latter being more of a gut favorite, while I believe the former to be the better-made film. I'd love to have either one of those nominated. I think the Kurosawa to nominate has to be Rashomon, though certainly many of his films are excellent. Similarly, I think the Godard to nominate has to be Breathless. My favorite Tarkovsky is Stalker, though others have nominated Andrei Rublev and The Mirror, and Solaris probably deserves some thought too. My Sergio Leone pick would be The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.

For more recent picks, I'd love to see Charlie Kaufman considered. I really couldn't quibble with almost any of his scripts, but I think his best film is Adaptation. I love Villeneuve, and would nominate Incendies from him.

That's all I can think of right now.

If they did one film from each of the five "best"directors each representing a different country it would be like the World Cup. Hitchcock, Kurosawa, Godard, Tarkovsky, Bergman, etc.

• Like 2

Rosemary's Baby

Ali:Fear Eats the Soul

The Marriage of Maria Braun

The Bitter Tears of Petra von Kant

Baby Face-The pre-code Stanwyck move

• Like 1

We need a Preston Sturges movie in The Canon. My personal favorite is THE LADY EVE, though I could also argue the case for THE PALM BEACH STORY or MIRACLE AT MORGAN CREEK. But the easy choice is to nominate his most popular film that still resonates today with younger audiences. So I'm going to submit SULLIVAN'S TRAVELS to The Canon. Who could ever refuse it?

Fuck it. Just throw in HAIL THE CONQUERING HERO (my vote) and talk about five Preston Sturges films.

With tomorrow's contenders being announced as Shaun of the Dead vs Magnolia vs Zodiac, it is worth mentioning that Zodiac is available to watch on Amazon Prime and Magnolia is available on FilmStruck. All three are also rentable through the usual means.