🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

HDTGM Classics Vol. 11 Crank: High Voltage (7/6 9PM EST)

Hey guys, as I said last month, I probably won’t make this one due to it being my son’s birthday weekend. But...I seriously hate Crank so it all kind of works out.

I’ll catch you all in August for Green Lantern :)

• Like 2

I'm travelling this day, so I'll miss this. I swear I'll make it soon!

• Like 1

Is this date good for people? Is there anyone who wants to host?

I would say yes but Hulu has stopped working with Rabbit so I'm out.

EDIT: Out of hosting - still totally in to watch this on this date.

Crank 2 is currently on Amazon Prime. Anyone who has that should be able to host.

• Like 2

Crank 2 is currently on Amazon Prime. Anyone who has that should be able to host.

Oh! It was telling my online that it was still $3 but I have Prime so I'm back on to host!!

• Like 1

Oh! It was telling my online that it was still $3 but I have Prime so I'm back on to host!!

Never trust the Internet ;)

• Like 1

I'm planning on being here for it!

I've seen Crank 2 but I'm having a June moment about it.

• Like 1

We are having some crazy rainy weather and floods, so I may or may not be around tomorrow for it.

• Like 1

We are having some crazy rainy weather and floods, so I may or may not be around tomorrow for it.

Stay safe, man.

Everyone have fun tonight!

• Like 1

Stay safe, man.

Everyone have fun tonight!

Everybody Wang Chung tonight!

• Like 1

Sure, I'm in, unless these storms knock out my power again ... if I disappear suddenly, that's probably what happened.

I guess we never nailed down for certain who is hosting this time. Taylor Anne, are you still good to do it?

I'm hurrying to get this room set up y'all I promise. I had issues logging into Hulu and now Amazon and I kinda wanna punch my laptop.

• Like 1

I'm voting now. Whenever Crank comes up in the HDTGM Classics, let's skip to whatever is next.

• Like 3

I'm voting now. Whenever Crank comes up in the HDTGM Classics, let's skip to whatever is next.

Don't you want to see how the head ended up in the fish tank?

• Like 1

Question about these two Crank movies, because Paul and Amy both said they loved them on Unspooled last week: What is it that people like about them? Is it the craziness? The out of the world possibilities? Some of it could be seen as enjoyable, like the scene where he jumped down the circular garage onto the car below, but most of it was just too yikes to fully buy into how ridiculous it was supposed to be.

Is there anyone here that even rated it higher than 1.5 stars that could give some insight?

• Like 1

Question about these two Crank movies, because Paul and Amy both said they loved them on Unspooled last week: What is it that people like about them? Is it the craziness? The out of the world possibilities? Some of it could be seen as enjoyable, like the scene where he jumped down the circular garage onto the car below, but most of it was just too yikes to fully buy into how ridiculous it was supposed to be.

Is there anyone here that even rated it higher than 1.5 stars that could give some insight?

I bet neither of them had seen them in years. I listened to the HDTGM episode and everyone there loved it as well. I'd be very curious how June feels about it now. I suspect everyone else kind of cooled off but June I think would hate it.

I genuinely loved both of them when I saw them in theaters. Crank was probably the longest sustained laughing fit I've ever had. From 30 seconds in until the end, non stop laughing and loving how ridiculous it is.

Last Friday, it was boring. The frenetic energy from the crazy editing wasn't there.i recognized the movie as offensive at the time but I guess it didn't bother me because they were being so unapologetic about it (and one of my biggest problems was Bai Ling taking like the Full Metal Jacket prostitute and she wrote that dialogue herself).

A lot of the movie is playing off of our referencing he first one. So, that's lost if you haven't seen, or seen in a while, the first one.

• Like 3

There was one point where it finally hit me that oh right this isn't supposed to be rooted in reality so all of this is supposed to be over the top, but the things that were bad weren't bad because they were over the top, but rather (to me) because I felt like even if this was rooted more in real life they still would have made the same decisions.

You're definitely right though cause I haven't seen the first movie and there was a lot happening that I just didn't get and didn't care to get.

• Like 1

I bet neither of them had seen them in years. I listened to the HDTGM episode and everyone there loved it as well. I'd be very curious how June feels about it now. I suspect everyone else kind of cooled off but June I think would hate it.

I think this is probably true. Because of how far we have yet to go, I think it’s sometimes hard to see how far, and how quickly, we have actually come.

For example, in my most recent listen through of HDTGM, I was shocked that in one of the earlier episodes, one of the hosts used the word “retarded” to describe something as stupid. I want to say it was a couple times, too. For me, I grew up using the word “gay” as a synonym for lame. I can’t even imagine *any* of us doing that now.

This is why you’re seeing a massive pushback right now. It might seem like a long time, but this cultural shift is happening rapidly. There are people like myself and HDTGM who recognize their past insensitivities and are able to evolve (with maybe some stumbles) and there are people who simply refuse. For those people, it feels like they are being forced into a new way of thinking. They resent it and they are lashing out. They can’t understand why this movie they loved nine years ago is “suddenly bad.”

So, yeah, I can see why Crank might have been appealing to people in 2009, but I really question people who still love it in 2018.

And this is why I’m glad I missed this month :)

• Like 1

It just occurred to me that Jason and Paul loved Gamer. I couldn’t even get through that movie. I hated it for the same exact same reasons that I hate the Crank movies.

So that kind of throws my “What we were like ten years ago” theory. I have no idea why they would still like it. :(

• Like 1