🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 191.5 - Minisode 191.5

I'll see your Bond and raise you --

d46020b383ad9c983e26de0a3c34f312.jpg

Lmao but this is prisoner-of-war Bond. He probably has scurvy in this pic.

• Like 2

Lmao but this is prisoner-of-war Bond. He probably has scurvy in this pic.

Wow...I didn’t realize you were so judgemental. Okay, dudes with scurvy aren’t good enough for Tom. Noted.

• Like 3

Wow...I didn’t realize you were so judgemental. Okay, dudes with scurvy aren’t good enough for Tom. Noted.

I have a hard time cause I have a thing for peg legs.

• Like 2

I have a hard time cause I have a thing for peg legs.

You’re in luck! I found the perfect guy. He’s a teacher *and* a police officer...

Al-moody.jpg

• Like 2

You’re in luck! I found the perfect guy. He’s a teacher *and* a police officer...

Al-moody.jpg

giphy.gif

• Like 3

Just out of curiosity (and maybe this should be saved for tomorrow, so maybe I'm jumping the gun), why do you think this film works and something like Magic Mike (where Channing Tatum needs to make money for...reasons) is so popular and pretty well acclaimed and Striptease and Showgirls doesn't?

Is it because they are playing it up (at least the first one) as more of a drama? Is it because it is better written/directed? Is it because it has a better ensemble cast?

The only reason, I bring this up is because of my work as a DJ, I was watching Gabriel Ingelsis in that film because that is my industry so to speak.

I personally think it's because it's about men and not women. Male strippers aren't seen in the same light as female strippers plain and simple. Women are more looked down on and shamed for being in the industry than men so I feel like unless the projects are run by women (particularly women who have been in the industry) you get movies like Showgirls and Striptease where the women are degraded and looked down on. I haven't seen Magic Mike but I don't get the sense that Mike or the boys are gonna be slut shamed, raped, or physically threatened because of their work so the movie seems a lot less depressing?

I also think it helps in Magic Mike's case that Channing Tatum WAS a stripper. The movie is based partly on some of his time (right?) working as an exotic dancer. Or that's where the story started or something. So maybe that's why because it's less booo you're less of a person for working in this industry vibe?

• Like 1

I personally think it's because it's about men and not women. Male strippers aren't seen in the same light as female strippers plain and simple. Women are more looked down on and shamed for being in the industry than men so I feel like unless the projects are run by women (particularly women who have been in the industry) you get movies like Showgirls and Striptease where the women are degraded and looked down on. I haven't seen Magic Mike but I don't get the sense that Mike or the boys are gonna be slut shamed, raped, or physically threatened because of their work so the movie seems a lot less depressing?

I also think it helps in Magic Mike's case that Channing Tatum WAS a stripper. The movie is based partly on some of his time (right?) working as an exotic dancer. Or that's where the story started or something. So maybe that's why because it's less booo you're less of a person for working in this industry vibe?

That's probably true, but I always get kind of...an eww feeling when I hear women going "we're going to go see Magic Mike" or "Magic Mike XXL whooo" like it's a show.

It's no different then "huh huh huh i got to see Demi Moore's boobies in Striptease" or "hu hu hu I saw Jessie Spano from Saved by the bells tatas in Showgirls"

The story, writing, directing, are all better that's for sure (I mean it is Steven Soderbergh) but I was thinking more along the public's reaction to it?

That's probably true, but I always get kind of...an eww feeling when I hear women going "we're going to go see Magic Mike" or "Magic Mike XXL whooo" like it's a show. It's no different then "huh huh huh i got to see Demi Moore's boobies in Striptease" or "hu hu hu I saw Jessie Spano from Saved by the bells tatas in Showgirls" The story, writing, directing, are all better that's for sure (I mean it is Steven Soderbergh) but I was thinking more along the public's reaction to it?

Wasn't the public reaction kind of "This dumb chick movie! Why does it even exist?"

Wasn't the public reaction kind of "This dumb chick movie! Why does it even exist?"

That was certainly the male reaction, but I understand what EvRobert is saying. The female reaction was definitely one that can only be compared to this 50 Shades phenomenon. And while it does make me kinda be like jfc I don't need to know that these groups of women are all going to see Magic Mike for that kinda reason, I think because there are so few times in Hollywood history where there was a female gaze and it was directed upon men that this gets a pass. Like there are also times where women can be looked at sexually in film and it works for one reason or another so we can't say it should never happen. Magic Mike seems like one of those films where since yeah because the writing and the directing makes the story meaningful then the sexual gaze upon these men ties it all together and just works.