Starring:

Brooke Shields

Diana Scarwid

Jeffrey Tambor

June Gable

Charles Durning

Tony Peck

Timothy Dalton

A film based on the Brenda Starr, Reporter comic strip created in 1940. The film was actually shot and completed in 1986, but wasn't released in the United Stated until 1992 due to litigation issues over the IP.

The plot from Wikipedia: "Mike is a struggling artist who draws the Brenda Starr comic strip for a newspaper. When Brenda comes to life and sees how unappreciated she is by Mike, she leaves the comic. To return her to her rightful place and keep his job, Mike draws himself into the strip.

Within her fictional world, Brenda Starr is an ace reporter for the New York Flash. She is talented, fearless, and smart, and she is a very snappy dresser. The only competition she has is from Libby Lipscomb, the rival paper's top reporter.

Brenda heads to the Amazon jungle to find a scientist with a secret formula, which will create cheap and powerful fuel from ordinary water. There, she must steal the formula from her competition and foreign spies."

The movie got horrible reviews. I think for two main reasons: 1) Brooke Shields was a bad fit for the characters, and 2) The film was really outdated by the time it was released. I guess they wanted to get some kind of return on investment.

An Amazon Second Opinion:

"Five Stars: Can't go wrong with Timothy Dalton and Brooke Shields."

51UssYmQDAL.jpg

I really wanted to like this film as it sounded like it should be pretty bonkers, but it just doesn't work. I will say that Brooke Shields looks the part in this film but her acting in it is so so poor, in fact most of the cast are pretty poor, so I am not sure if its them, the dialogue or just the film as a whole thats bad.