đź”’ The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... Ă—
JulyDiaz

Episode 192.5 - Minisode 192.5

Cameron, I tried your challenge.

I started with "Top 50 Most Played" on Amazon Prime and skipped every song but Portugal. Man. "Feel It Still", and Lorde's "Green Light".

Hat tip to Lorde for referencing "Mack the Knife".

• Like 6

Oooh Me too!

Here's the last played songs on my pretty controlled mp3 list (I can't tell if I've skipped them, sorry)

Pain - The War on Drugs

Wait By The River - Lord Huron

Burnin' Sky - Bad Company

I Only Lie When I Love You - Royal Blood

Israel's Son - Silverchair

Bad Blood - Bastille

Amerika - Young the Giant

The Gold - Manchester Orchestra

How Much I Feel - Ambrosia

• Like 6

Anyone else going??

I wish!

I have been to BAM before and it is such a cool theatre! It will be a fun place to see the podcast.

The other week at work me and two other teachers, both male one early 30s one mid 40s, some how stumbled upon a Hal & Oates song and spent the afternoon listening to best of Hall & Oates. I forgot how many good songs they had. To the majority of the teachers, female in their 20s, we were all "old men" for liking it.

This song came on while I was having lunch out with family, and I was immediately struck by how conceptually similar it is to another song by someone who also had a nigh-limitless tolerance for "that" in a relationship:

• Like 5

This song came on while I was having lunch out with family, and I was immediately struck by how conceptually similar it is to another song by someone who also had a nigh-limitless tolerance for "that" in a relationship:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGalkLRdlOs

Did we ever figure out what "that" was? It was pegging wasn't it?

• Like 8

Sexually speaking, Meatloaf is strictly meat and potatoes.

• Like 7

The "that" he won't do is cheat on her. The woman in the song sings "sooner or later you'll be screwing around" then he sings "I don't do that. No, I won't do that."

• Like 2

For Hall And Oates, the "that" he can't go for is giving his soul. Right before the choruses he sings "you've got my body/now you want my soul/don't even think about it/say no go"

• Like 2

The "that" he won't do is cheat on her. The woman in the song sings "sooner or later you'll be screwing around" then he sings "I don't do that. No, I won't do that."

For Hall And Oates, the "that" he can't go for is giving his soul. Right before the choruses he sings "you've got my body/now you want my soul/don't even think about it/say no go"

'twas a joke, my man. :)

• Like 3

'twas a joke, my man. :)

Yeah, a joke.

[must resist deep dive into the grammatical absurdity of that title]

• Like 3

'twas a joke, my man. :)/>

I get it but I heard so many people who still can't figure out what "that" is. I should have expected more from everyone here.

Admittedly, it doesn't make much defense with Meat Loaf because cheating isn't generally considered something you do for your partner. "I love you which is exactly why I slept around. That's a thing I'll do for love"

• Like 3

Admittedly, it doesn't make much defense with Meat Loaf because cheating isn't generally considered something you do for your partner. "I love you which is exactly why I slept around. That's a thing I'll do for love"

pqoDB4I.gif

• Like 3

Okay, I think we’re going to have to take a deep dive into this. According to the song, the things Meatloaf won’t do for love (and there are a few) is:

1) Forget the way you feel right now

2) Forgive himself if they don’t fuck tonight

3) Never fuck anyone better than the way he fucks you

4) Dream of you every night of his life

5) Cheat on you

It’s not actually about cheating. At least, not in his verses. She says that eventually he’ll be “screwing around” and he says assures her that he won’t. It’s not one of his, “I would do anything for love verses,” though.

• Like 3

Okay, I think we’re going to have to take a deep dive into this. According to the song, the things Meatloaf won’t do for love (and there are a few) is:

1) Forget the way you feel right now

2) Forgive himself if they don’t fuck tonight

3) Never fuck anyone better than the way he fucks you

4) Dream of you every night of his life

5) Cheat on you

It’s not actually about cheating. At least, not in his verses. She says that eventually he’ll be “screwing around” and he says assures her that he won’t. It’s not one of his, “I would do anything for love verses,” though.

[sigh] ... ok, here we go.

The absurdity rests fully on the word "but," which is a conjunction that creates an antithesis. "But" is used when the second part of the sentence creates an exception or alternative to the first part. NONE of the statements in the song that could be considered antecedents to "that" create that necessary antithetical relationship.

"I would do anything for love, but I won't cheat on you."

"I would do anything for love, but I won't fuck someone else better than I fuck you.

"I would do anything for love, but I won't forget about you."

"I would do anything for love, but I won't not dream about you at night."

None of those sentence make any goddamn sense. The only one that Cameron H points out that might make sense is "I would do anything for you, but I won't forgive myself if we don't go all the way tonight," which is the kind of asshole date-rape thing frat boys say around 1:30am.

Switch "but" to "and," and all those other sentences work just fine.

• Like 3

[sigh] ... ok, here we go.

The absurdity rests fully on the word "but," which is a conjunction that creates an antithesis. "But" is used when the second part of the sentence creates an exception or alternative to the first part. NONE of the statements in the song that could be considered antecedents to "that" create that necessary antithetical relationship.

"I would do anything for love, but I won't cheat on you."

"I would do anything for love, but I won't fuck someone else better than I fuck you.

"I would do anything for love, but I won't forget about you."

"I would do anything for love, but I won't not dream about you at night."

None of those sentence make any goddamn sense. The only one that Cameron H points out that might make sense is "I would do anything for you, but I won't forgive myself if we don't go all the way tonight," which is the kind of asshole date-rape thing frat boys say around 1:30am.

Switch "but" to "and," and all those other sentences work just fine.

Yes, but the song is structured as a dialogue. We just don’t hear her side of the conversation until the end. The whole thing is him assuring her of his affection. So while your sentences might not work for you, you have to place them in context of their hypothetical conversation where he’s putting restrictions on his undying love.

Meatloaf: I would do anything for love.

Her: Would you steal?

Meatloaf: Yes.

Her: Murder?

Her: Peg.

Meatloaf: ...yes.

Her: Forget about this moment?

Meatloaf: I would do anything for love, but I won’t do that.

If you ignore that context, it makes no sense. It’s why the song starts “And I would do anything for love.” Not only is he starting mid conversation, he’s starting in mid sentence.

So, no, “and” doesn’t make sense. Or, at least, it would be redundant.

For example:

“I would do anything for love, *and* I won't fuck someone else better than I fuck you.”

“And” doesn’t work because “not fucking someone better” is already covered in “anything.” “But” works because he’s qualifying what “anything” covers. “I know I’m saying I’d do anything for love, BUT there are actually a few things I won’t do.”

• Like 3

So, no, “and” doesn’t make sense. Or, at least, it would be redundant.

For example:

“I would do anything for love, *and* I won't fuck someone else better than I fuck you.”

Redundant, yet sensical.

Meatloaf: I would do anything for love.

Her: Would you steal?

Her: Murder?

Her: Peg.

Meatloaf: ...yes.

Her: Forget about this moment?

Meatloaf: I would do anything for love, but I won’t do that.

Look, I get it, but I just feel like only a crazy person would turn a conversation that way. As grudlian points out, it just doesn't make sense to ask someone if they would, for the sake of their own love, do something that might actively harm their relationship. That sentence is a mobius strip of red flags.

Furthermore, I will posit that the lines she sings at the end only make sense if we assume that she is someone with whom Mr. Loaf is cheating on someone else, because then we can infer that she knows he's capable of being unfaithful "for love," and when he's begging her to go all the way, and when he's assuring her that he won't forget the moment and he won't cheat on her, she's cynically saying, "Sooner or later, you'll be screwing around" because you've fallen in love with someone else.

• Like 1

Redundant, yet sensical.

I guess it makes as much sense as saying, "I swim in all bodies of water, and I swim in lakes."

Look, I get it, but I just feel like only a crazy person would turn a conversation that way. As grudlian points out, it just doesn't make sense to ask someone if they would, for the sake of their own love, do something that would actively harm it their relationship. That sentence is a mobius strip of red flags.

Furthermore, I will posit that the lines she sings at the end only make sense if we assume that she is someone with whom Mr. Loaf is cheating on someone else, because then we can infer that she knows he's capable of being unfaithful "for love," and when he's begging her to go all the way, and when he's assuring her that he won't forget the moment and he won't cheat on her, she's cynically saying, "Sooner or later, you'll be screwing around" because you've fallen in love with someone else.

No, the whole song is about him professing his love for someone who has been hurt before and he's trying to convince her to take a chance on him.

The song begins with him making this huge overture, by telling her that he would go "to Hell" for her. He then dials it back a bit and says, "Look, I can't promise you it will all be perfect for you, (Somedays it won't come easy...), but I will always love you (as long as the planets are turning)." He then promises to be with her until death do they part (I'll be there to the final act). He then says, as much as he loves her, there will be times she makes him crazy, too (Somedays I pray for Silence). Maybe even up to the point where he feels like bailing on the relationship (And some nights I lose the feeling), but even then he says, as long as they still have passion (as long as the fires are burning), then he's going to stay with her and love her.

So at this point in the song, she's been listening to him and she's starting to become receptive to his declarations of love, so she starts to test him (Will you raise me up? Will you help me done? Will you get me right out of this Godforsaken town?) And, for perhaps the first time, he dispenses with the dramatics and just says (I can do that!). She thinks this all sounds great, and she goes through a bunch of fantasy items (Will you take me to places I've never seen? Will you cater to all my fantasies?), and he's like, "Yup." But then cynicism creeps back in. She says, "This all sounds great, but I've heard this all before. Someone told me all of this same crap you're telling me and he ended up cheating on me (It was a brief interlude and a midsummer night's fling) So, like, I've had my heart broken before (I know the territory, I've been around) and I don't want to be hurt again" And, at last he assures her, "Don't worry, I won't do to you what that person did to you (declarative statement: I won't do that. Not "I won't do that again.")."

As far as assurances of not doing something that would harm their love for love, I think that's meant to be much more playful than you're giving it credit for. He's just playing with semantics. He's saying that "anything" obviously doesn't mean "everything."

• Like 2

Sexually speaking, Meatloaf is strictly meat and potatoes.

I'm glad you specified "sexually speaking".

U0hRY.jpg

• Like 2

I guess it makes as much sense as saying, "I swim in all bodies of water, and I swim in lakes."

No, the whole song is about him professing his love for someone who has been hurt before and he's trying to convince her to take a chance on him.

The song begins with him making this huge overture, by telling her that he would go "to Hell" for her. He then dials it back a bit and says, "Look, I can't promise you it will all be perfect for you, (Somedays it won't come easy...), but I will always love you (as long as the planets are turning)." He then promises to be with her until death do they part (I'll be there to the final act). He then says, as much as he loves her, there will be times she makes him crazy, too (Somedays I pray for Silence). Maybe even up to the point where he feels like bailing on the relationship (And some nights I lose the feeling), but even then he says, as long as they still have passion (as long as the fires are burning), he's that no matter what he's going to stay with her and love her.

So at this point in the song, she's been listening to him and she's starting to become receptive to his declarations of love, so she starts to test him (Will you raise me up? Will you help me done? Will you get me right out of this Godforsaken town?) And, for perhaps the first time, he dispenses with the dramatics and just says (I can do that!). She thinks this all sounds great, and she goes through a bunch of fantasy items (Will you take me to places I've never seen? Will you cater to all my fantasies?), but then cynicism creeps back in. She says, "This all sounds great, but I've heard this all before. Someone told me all of this same crap before and he ended up cheating on me (It was a brief interlude and a midsummer night's fling) So, like, I've had my heart broken before (I know the territory, I've been around)" And, at last he assures her, "Don't worry, I won't do to you what that person did to you."

As far as assurances of not doing something that would harm their love for love, I think that's meant to be much more playful than you're giving it credit for.

You all are reading WAY too much into this. She says "Sooner or later you'll be screwing around." What if she was saying "a round"? Either that means he's been screwing a square or they're into some unusually-shaped sex toys.

• Like 4

Taylorannephoto, I would think you can ask an administrator to pull your icon from a backup. They definitely store it somewhere because Google Cache copies of pre-forum-change pages show your current avatar.

Ok, I laughed out loud at this, because yeah, that's exactly what I mean. I think the song may be just that dumb.

So at this point in the song, she's been listening to him and she's starting to become receptive to his declarations of love, so she starts to test him (Will you raise me up? Will you help me done? Will you get me right out of this Godforsaken town?) And, for perhaps the first time, he dispenses with the dramatics and just says (I can do that!). She thinks this all sounds great, and she goes through a bunch of fantasy items (Will you take me to places I've never seen? Will you cater to all my fantasies?), but then cynicism creeps back in. She says, "This all sounds great, but I've heard this all before. Someone told me all of this same crap before and he ended up cheating on me (It was a brief interlude and a midsummer night's fling) So, like, I've had my heart broken before (I know the territory, I've been around)" And, at last he assures her, "Don't worry, I won't do to you what that person did to you."

And here we go back to the word "but," which doesn't appear during the dialogue portion at the end. So sure, saying "I won't do that" to the things she says makes sense there.

I must say that I don't think anything you've argued precludes the idea that she would be "the other woman" for him, and I think all those other instances of him saying "I would do anything for love, but I won't [forget this moment/be better with another girl/not dream of you everynight]" has to be because "love" doesn't mean their love ... it means his love, ie. the way he falls for girl after girl, serial romance, being just another vampire creep who would sweep her away on his motorcycle to his giant house to use her and then leave her all dressed up and riding that giant glass elevator all alone. He has to assure her that he'll be a changed man for her, and yeah, she ain't buying it.

Besides, even if you're right, he's still laying a bit too much pressure on a girl that is clearly not that into him.

As far as assurances of not doing something that would harm their love for love, I think that's meant to be much more playful than you're giving it credit for.

I 100% probably agree.

• Like 4

You all are reading WAY too much into this. She says "Sooner or later you'll be screwing around." What if she was saying "a round"? Either that means he's been screwing a square or they're into some unusually-shaped sex toys.

kramer-mind-blown.gif

• Like 5

Ok, I laughed out loud at this, because yeah, that's exactly what I mean. I think the song may be just that dumb.

And here we go back to the word "but," which doesn't appear during the dialogue portion at the end. So sure, saying "I won't do that" to the things she says makes sense there.

I must say that I don't think anything you've argued precludes the idea that she would be "the other woman" for him, and I think all those other instances of him saying "I would do anything for love, but I won't [forget this moment/be better with another girl/not dream of you everynight]" has to be because "love" doesn't mean their love ... it means his love, ie. the way he falls for girl after girl, serial romance, being just another vampire creep who would sweep her away on his motorcycle to his giant house to use her and then leave her all dressed up and riding that giant glass elevator all alone. He has to assure her that he'll be a changed man for her, and yeah, she ain't buying it.

I guess I just have a higher opinion of Mr. Loaf. :)/>

giphy.gif

I guess I could buy him as cheater if she said “You’ve been around” instead.

I wouldn't say she's not into him, though. After all, she asks him if he'll hose her down with Holy Water if she get too hot (HOT!)

(btw- I've listened to this song far too much today.)

• Like 3

I’ve always thought meatloaf would do anything for love - not necessarily for the woman in the song. Like he might fall in love with another lady, but he won’t cheat on the current lady. So he would at leave a note before running off to Acapulco with his dental hygienist and it would get him out of technically cheating. I just don’t find him sincere at all in this song and he’s building in escape clauses in his promises.

• Like 4