🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 193 - Blues Brothers 2000: LIVE!

When are we gonna get a "dirty balcony people" or "balcony monster" shirt?

This is me asking as a dirty balcony person from Austin!

As someone with regular floor seats for the Blues Brothers 2000 show, you disgust me.

• Like 1

I'm going to swoop in and steal this from Cameron H...

xMDoNtN.gif

• Like 5

BB2000 was the second show on Saturday night. By the first show on Sunday night some clever audience members had printed up "SAVE SCRIBBLES" T-shirts and brought them to the show.

My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with a girl who saw Scribbles pass out at 31 Flavors last night.

Simone-300x300.jpg

• Like 2

I think it was more that it was a public bathroom where rando's probably spit in there and whatnot. I totally get one's own bathroom sink....but a restaurant bathroom sink?!

yeah that I can kind of see, I don't think it would stop me but I'm a filthy monster

• Like 4

I'm not sure I totally buy this.

Belushi is great but I'd argue John Goodman is an excellent actor and can play anything including Belushi if he wants. So, he is a theoretical perfect replacement.

Goodman is fine. His character is a sniveling loser.

walter-sobchak-comments.jpg

• Like 3

Oh god, ihtm, PLEASE tell me you were the guy who actually got to hold the mic.

No, the name is just in honor of Paul's regular request. I didn't have anything to talk about for these movies, so I wisely kept quiet for all of the shows. I'm no Balcony Monster.

Also worth noting: BB2000 makes it on the bottom 25 list of least profitable HDTGM movies, having made just a little over half of its budget back at the box office. See the list and so much more at http://hdtgm.info/

• Like 3

Minor correction for JASON

Merle Haggard wasn't the narrator on the Dukes of Hazzard, Waylon Jennings was.

The reason I know this is I was really into Shooter Jennings many years ago, and I was hoping he would do the narration on the Dukes of Hazzard film with Johnny Knoxville and Sean William Scott

• Like 1

When are we gonna get a "dirty balcony people" or "balcony monster" shirt?

This is me asking as a dirty balcony person from Austin!

As already pointed out, there already is one. My sign in New York said "We are ALL Balcony Monsters." (Paid for by the Society for the Protection of Balcony Monsterish Welfare and Fans of Harry Potter References)

But people already had the Balcony Monster t-shirts and I felt they upstaged me. Also footnote jokes are good for signs. Alas.

• Like 5

Jason Correction #2--Paul Schaffer was NOT in the first Blues Brother's movie, although he was part of the original Blues Brothers Band on SNL. That's why when he asks "may I step in" is a "thing" it's the only time the original band was captured on "film" as opposed to "video"

RE: the underwater car/sub thing, don't they open the door and water comes out of the floorboard? So I think the audience member who asked about it filling with water might be onto something

• Like 2

Minor correction for JASON

Merle Haggard wasn't the narrator on the Dukes of Hazzard, Waylon Jennings was.

Yeah, as someone who lived through that whole "outlaw country" phase that was part of the late 70s-early 80s mainstream, I can affirm that it was easy to get those two confused -- especially if you didn't really give a crap.

Yeah, as someone who lived through that whole "outlaw country" phase that was part of the late 70s-early 80s mainstream, I can affirm that it was easy to get those two confused -- especially if you didn't really give a crap.

Oh it's super easy to do

Sorry everyone, I know this movie has PROBLEMS and I will never voluntarily watch it again, but I cannot dislike a film that has Erykah Badu blow up Russian monsters AND white supremacists with voodoo magic.

I have listened to the soundtrack several times.

• Like 5

Sorry everyone, I know this movie has PROBLEMS and I will never voluntarily watch it again, but I cannot dislike a film that has Erykah Badu blow up Russian monsters AND white supremacists with voodoo magic.

I have listened to the soundtrack several times.

I honestly felt Paul and Jason were a little hard on the music. I like quite a bit of the music apart from the mess that is the movie

• Like 5

That's kinda why I haven't listened to it yet. I'm just... not looking forward to hearing my favorite comedians talk shit on musicians I love like Clarence Clemmens or Eric Clapton or Dr. John or BB King.

• Like 3

I honestly felt Paul and Jason were a little hard on the music. I like quite a bit of the music apart from the mess that is the movie

That's kinda why I haven't listened to it yet. I'm just... not looking forward to hearing my favorite comedians talk shit on musicians I love like Clarence Clemmens or Eric Clapton or Dr. John or BB King.

I haven't listened to the episode yet, either. I watched BB 2000 a couple of weeks ago, and since I don't feel like revisiting it so soon, I'm not sure how much I'll be participating this week. That being said, I'm surprised to hear they were down on the music. I loved seeing the Louisiana Gator Boys! Each one of those musicians is amazing. Not to mention Sam Moore and Wilson Pickett. Hell, Jonny Lang is fantastic. Even the Blues Brothers Band is made up of some terrific musicians.

I think the biggest headscratcher for me was how they were going to do a whole episode on this movie since the music is really pretty good. And since the action/plot is just a contrivance to get to the next musical number/cameo, what can you really say about it? I guess I was wrong...

• Like 4

Sorta spoiler...

they like the Johnny Lang number and the Louisana Gator Boys Number

• Like 3

Listening to the ep (in pieces because of work) I can not WAIT to get into this movie as I was one of 5 people who saw this in theaters, own it on DVD and have watched it multiple times (not because I like it)

My mom took me to see this in theaters. I was 8. The rule in our house was that as long as it was pg 13 I could see it (usually if she was there). I think it was because she was a single mom and that way she could actually see something that wasn't a child's movie though we did see a lot of those and she liked them too. So yeah we saw this in theaters. I have no idea how she explained the strippers to me. Granted we saw Titanic in theaters too... She fell asleep in that one though.

• Like 1

BB2000 was the second show on Saturday night. By the first show on Sunday night some clever audience members had printed up "SAVE SCRIBBLES" T-shirts and brought them to the show.

They were the heroes of my evening and I looked for them after the show but couldn't find them. I wanted to get a photo with them so bad!

Ok so this might just be me putting too much thought into the movie but because of the start of the film did anyone else think that Scribbles was going to be revealed to be Jake's son and THAT'S why he was in the movie? I thought for sure after they did the bits to show how alike the two were it was going to be reveled that after Jake got out he had a kid and that kid was Scribbles. They never mention WHEN Jake got out so I thought maybe he got some lady knocked up after a wild night celebrating being free from prison. They part he goes on his way never to se her again then eventually dies. He might have never known and maybe told this lady the amazing story of why he was in jail because of his Mission From God to save the orphanage. So when she finds herself preggo she decides to give the baby to the orphanage to raise. Maybe in the hope that they can get him to his father.

Anyway that would have made it SO much more satisfying and would have sort of justified Scribbles to the audience. i couldn't finish the movie but I'm pretty sure he's not Blues Brother Spawn right?

Regardless of his paternity #SaveScribbles

• Like 4

As someone with regular floor seats for the Blues Brothers 2000 show, you disgust me.

As a fellow floor person be nice! They can't help being poor filthy abominations

• Like 3

As already pointed out, there already is one. My sign in New York said "We are ALL Balcony Monsters." (Paid for by the Society for the Protection of Balcony Monsterish Welfare and Fans of Harry Potter References)

But people already had the Balcony Monster t-shirts and I felt they upstaged me. Also footnote jokes are good for signs. Alas.

I fully feel like Hagrid would keep a pair of Balcony Monsters in his hut for Care of Magical Creature Classes.

• Like 3

Side note: I just watched Caddyshack and was reminded of the abomination that is Caddyshack 2, which also had Dan Aykroyd...

• Like 4