🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 193 - Blues Brothers 2000: LIVE!

I haven't listened to the episode yet, either. I watched BB 2000 a couple of weeks ago, and since I don't feel like revisiting it so soon, I'm not sure how much I'll be participating this week. That being said, I'm surprised to hear they were down on the music. I loved seeing the Louisiana Gator Boys! Each one of those musicians is amazing. Not to mention Sam Moore and Wilson Pickett. Hell, Jonny Lang is fantastic. Even the Blues Brothers Band is made up of some terrific musicians.

I think the biggest headscratcher for me was how they were going to do a whole episode on this movie since the music is really pretty good. And since the action/plot is just a contrivance to get to the next musical number/cameo, what can you really say about it? I guess I was wrong...

Having listened to the full pod, I don't think they really spent much time trashing the music. There are some intimations of such early on, but by the end the hosts have basically agreed that the celebrity musicians who appear in the movie are good. They spend most of their time trashing the plot (which is indeed nonsense).

I think this movie suffers from the same problem that many comedy sequels do: they are caught between two competing impulses. On the one hand, you want to give people more of what they liked from the first movie. On the other hand, you have to do SOMETHING different, otherwise why are you even making a new movie? This very often results in: do the same jokes, but bigger and with more characters/plot/locations. The audience then responds with a yawn.

But hey, at least this movie has some lively musical numbers to break up the tedium, so I didn't mind it too much.

• Like 4

Having listened to the full pod, I don't think they really spent much time trashing the music. There are some intimations of such early on, but by the end the hosts have basically agreed that the celebrity musicians who appear in the movie are good. They spend most of their time trashing the plot (which is indeed nonsense).

I think this movie suffers from the same problem that many comedy sequels do: they are caught between two competing impulses. On the one hand, you want to give people more of what they liked from the first movie. On the other hand, you have to do SOMETHING different, otherwise why are you even making a new movie? This very often results in: do the same jokes, but bigger and with more characters/plot/locations. The audience then responds with a yawn.

But hey, at least this movie has some lively musical numbers to break up the tedium, so I didn't mind it too much.

I agree. I listened today and it wasn’t that bad. I think the only numbers they really didn’t seem that into were the Blues Brothers ones.

• Like 2

This episode has it all: June saying a thing that's a t-shirt immediately, Jason getting violently angry at the movie, and a sad, sad story about Paul's personal life.

Why did the crowd at the country fair go insane for the Bluegrass Brothers from the get-go? They were climbing out of their seats before they even starting playing. Did Goodman charm them with his "how-dy!"? Is it that easy?

• Like 5

Why was Elwood Blues so shitty to John Popper? Not only does he blow him off when John Popper simply gushes over him and says he's the reason he started playing music but he replies with 'So?'. It feels the way Jake would have handled the interaction but definitely not Elwood. Also, why steal Joe Morton's cash? Don't you think that will piss off your new brother? Why does he need the money so quickly? I know BB King is closing his car lot but if it's not the original car, can't he just get a job and wait for another one to come available?

Additionally Elwood is an engineer who can waterproof a car, build in remote control steering, and have a compartment large enough to store a person in the dashboard? These sorts of modifications take time and in depth knowledge in cars and electronics. Was this what he learned in prison?

Lastly, there is no reason for the Blues Brothers band to tour nationally or be a full time job. I'm sure the band would be happy to play a couple of gigs a month with Elwood around Chicago and Elwood could use his notoriety to play harmonica and do studio sessions to make a living. He'd probably even have a good career as a producer if he would just stop breaking the law and being shitty to people that can help him get up on his feet.

• Like 6

Why was Elwood Blues so shitty to John Popper? Not only does he blow him of but when John Popper simply gushes over him and says he's the reason Elwood started playing music he replies with 'So?'. It feels the way Jake wood have handled the interaction but definitely not Elwood.

I'm trying to think of an example where Elwood wasn't shitty to someone. He's a jerk, right? He doesn't even seem to care for his bandmates, who are clearly suffering from Stockholm Syndrome. But if he were truly interested in a kickass band, rather than just obtaining/kidnapping people who would rather be doing something else, seems like he'd follow this lead of someone who is actually enthusiastic about playing for him.

I wonder if it has something to do with Popper's look, if Elwood didn't take him seriously because to him there's only one way for a serious blues musician to dress?

• Like 4

This episode has it all: June saying a thing that's a t-shirt immediately, Jason getting violently angry at the movie, and a sad, sad story about Paul's personal life.

At least Paul's harrowing childhood prepared him for those nights when he'd be sleeping in cars. Probably one of those moments as an adult where you miss your My Buddy, tho.

Aww ... now, I'm sad. Let's hug it out.

tenor.gif?itemid=5705099

• Like 7

I agree. I listened today and it wasn’t that bad. I think the only numbers they really didn’t seem that into were the Blues Brothers ones.

And even with that . . . I liked Joe Morton's singing. And John Goodman is legitimately great at it.

(Who has seen True Stories?)

• Like 4

At least Paul's harrowing childhood prepared him for those nights when he'd be sleeping in cars. Probably one of those moments as an adult where you miss your My Buddy, tho.

Aww ... now, I'm sad. Let's hug it out.

Hey, it wasn't all bad. Remember when Paul tried to French kiss his mother? Hawt.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

And even with that . . . I liked Joe Morton's singing. And John Goodman is legitimately great at it.

(Who has seen True Stories?)

John Goodman I think is probably one of the most underrated actors ever. He can sing, he can dance, he can do comedy and drama, he can be the sweetest baby face ever or he can be a menacing heavy. Even when he's in a bad movie he tends to stand out as the lone highlight. Hell, he's part of the Coen Brother's regular players as well. John Goodman is awesome.

Also so is True Stories.

• Like 4

John Goodman I think is probably one of the most underrated actors ever. He can sing, he can dance, he can do comedy and drama, he can be the sweetest baby face ever or he can be a menacing heavy. Even when he's in a bad movie he tends to stand out as the lone highlight. Hell, he's part of the Coen Brother's regular players as well. John Goodman is awesome.

Also so is True Stories.

Literally always good. I don't know if I can think of a bad John Goodman performance.

• Like 4

Literally always good. I don't know if I can think of a bad John Goodman performance.

Normal, Ohio was pretty rough and over the top at the time. I assume that performance has aged very badly.

Well, duh. His name is John GOODman not John BADman.

Side note. I've never seen King Ralph but that would be the movie with the potential to be bad.

• Like 3

Well, duh. His name is John GOODman not John BADman.

Side note. I've never seen King Ralph but that would be the movie with the potential to be bad.

I don't think he's bad in it though.

I never watched Normal, Ohio. Actually I didn't even remember what it was until looking it up just now.

• Like 1

For people who don't look at the front page:

UPDATE: We're trying this thing again tomorrow!!! So the forums may be down all day.

cross your fingers for us

So...get your nonsense out now. :)

• Like 4

So...get your nonsense out now. :)/>

It's 104°F today and I'm working outside. Is that better or worse than watching Blues Brothers 2000?

• Like 2

jason would make a weird mix tape

Who's down for a Love, Actually and A Prophet double feature? Let's get bipolar!

• Like 2

jason would make a weird mix tape

Not too happy about how he glossed over MBV but I can understand being too tak about Loveless. Genuinely one of the absolute best albums of all time.

And Hop Along is probably my favorite band of the last decade or longer. They are starting the second leg of their tour this Saturday and you should definitely go because they are great. They are super nice and buy all their albums.

It's 104°F today and I'm working outside. Is that better or worse than watching Blues Brothers 2000?

Ugh, it's like that hot here and I'm doing my best to avoid being outside. Definitely worse that the movie.

• Like 3

Ugh, it's like that hot here and I'm doing my best to avoid being outside. Definitely worse that the movie.

Wasn't the heat wave declared a natural disaster? Or is that just a sensationalized translation?

I already put this on  the How Did This Get Made facebook group but i was a a meet for a Library committee. We're gearing up for my county to vote on a millage for a new library and we're trying to get out the vote and deal with assholes who don't want it . Anyway the meeting was at a sports bar attached to the local ice rink because they have a meeting room for rent. in the vestibule of the restaurant (even though its a sports bar and this is the only move/ tv/ music item) is  TERRIFYING John Belushi as Jake Blues statue . I figured i might as well share the horrors:

37749378_2327801133914566_54667442052524

He might be on a mission but I doubt it's from God.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

On 8/1/2018 at 7:59 PM, AlexSalcido said:

Dammit.

i can’t not. 

BUSTER.

his name was BUSTER 

tenor.gif?itemid=6024520

IT'S SCRIBBLES