🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Al's French Fry's

Mission: Impossible 2 (2000)

Man! It was on TNT last night, and I caught the last part of the movie from the motorcycle chase to the end. I remember living this when I was 19, but looking back at it now . . . I think people listened to way too much Limp Biskit back then. Definitely worth a watch. Tom Cruise really loves his long hair . .

I thought I watched Mission Impossible 2 once, but as soon as the credits started the movie ripped off its mask and it turned out I had watched Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 3.

I've seen this movie a lot, and its start to finish pretty much completely stupid. (I should say though, I watched this movie with this here rifftrax, made it way better.)

I like that Ethan keeps a catalog of random people's faces stuffed in his backpack like a serial killer, even a couple of his own.

That the only computer that can track the woman fails almost every time they need it. and their communications always go down when its convenient for the plot.

The most retarded car chase/foreplay scene.

The fact that they recruit a supposedly highly capable thief, just so she could just go to the bone zone with whatsisface, and not really do any thieving.

Inserting her into the guys organization relies heavily on the fact that he is both extremely intelligent and capable, and also completely stupid and horny.

Every plan that either side comes up with is just plain stupid.

What is the point of his team members? They do practically nothing the entire movie.

Why couldn't Ethan have taken Nya with him when he jumped out of the building? He just pretty much left her to die.

Two bits of trivia on the IMDb page that, if true, might explain a lot:

According to Robert Towne, much of his script was written around action scenes that director John Woo told him he wanted to able to direct in the movie.

John Woo's final cut of the film clocked in at 3-1/2 hours. The studio balked at this length and told him that the final length could not exceed 120 min. This could explain why there are so many plot holes and continuity errors in the theatrical cut.

I thought I watched Mission Impossible 2 once, but as soon as the credits started the movie ripped off its mask and it turned out I had watched Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 3.

This would have worked so, so well for "The Last Samurai"...

I prefer to remember "Mission Impossible 2" as the reason why Hugh Jackman has an AWESOME career now.

• Like 1

If there has ever been a movie more dumbed down for the sequel, I'd love to hear it.

The only contender that comes to mind is Blair Witch 2....

• Like 1

This movie turned me from a fan of John Woo to a hater of John Woo.

HDTGM must do this movie! It's a primary example of Hollywood kitsch, stupidity, and hubris (maybe I use the last word in the wrong way).

If Jason won't do Face/ Off, perhaps we could do this, as a compromise, between Jason and the people who wanted another Cage-mania.

The fact that they recruit a supposedly highly capable thief, just so she could just go to the bone zone with whatsisface, and not really do any thieving.

Well, she did a little bit of thieving -- she went from the living room of the bad guy's mansion to what I presumed to be the lobby...without being detected!

This one has been considered by many to be the worst of the Mission Impossible franchise, and marked the beginning of the end of John Woo's career in Hollywood. After this, he reunited with Nicolas Cage on the war flick Windtalkers, which was a huge big-budget disaster at the box office, and followed that up with Paycheck starring Ben Affleck, which disappointed many as well. After these two fiascos, Woo eventually retreated to his native Hong Kong and hasn't looked back since.

I remember sneaking into the theater to see this and feeling like I got cheated. I laughed out loud at the scene where Cruise and Bean Scott ride towards each other on motor cycles and then jump off to collide in mid air.

Edit: Why did I think Sean Bean was in this? I might have this crossed in my head with (the much more watchable) Goldeneye.

After these two fiascos, Woo eventually retreated to his native Hong Kong and hasn't looked back since.

Thank God for that, because he bounced back with the hugely entertaining Red Cliff

• Like 1

God what a terrible movie. The only thing I can think of when watching this movie is all the wasted money. Every scene seems like a contest to see which could have the most amount of money thrown at it needlessly.

From the villa scene where Thandie Newtons character is introduced to Dougray Scotts island compound. I just imagine producers ripping their hair out as John Woo blows money left and right on pointless shit.

HDTGM needs to play the John Woo drinking game while watching this piss poor performance. I did it and was way too drunk since you drink everytime there is a slow motion scene.

I know Tom Cruise is a bit of an odd duck, but goddamn if he isnt one hell of a good sport. Between Tropic Thunder or even Edge of Tomorrow more recently, he really is a solid comedic actor.

• Like 1

Nothing can top the Mission Impossible 3 Tom Cruise super run. it makes that T-1000 in Terminator 2 look like a sunday school girl.

No one does stick up his ass running better. NO ONE!

3min mark.

How do you make a $125mil movie that grosses half a billion and is still a huge pile of dove turds? 

Enter - John Woo's painful sequel to Brian DePalma's classic Mission: Impossible adaptation is the epitome of obnoxious media circa the year 2000.

About a quarter of the movie is slow-mo reaction shots of people exiting vehicles. It's also got a plethora of terrible puns, dudes jumping off motorcycles and fighting in mid-air, some Face/Off science for good measure, and the single greatest/worst slow-motion kick to the face that sends a character off his feet as if propelled by dynamite. The dialogue is objectively terrible, even though it was written by the same guy who wrote Chinatown, Tequila Sunrise, and the first M:I.

Best when screened directly after revisiting the DePalma M:I

Best thing to come out of MI: 2.

Also, what's interesting is that Cruise's romantic relationships are a big focal point of the newest film in the series, but there is zero mention of the one he has with Thandie Newton from this film, like they are actively trying to erase it from everyone's memories. It's interesting to note that Anthony Hopkins was uncredited for this film, but was a major part of every bit of promotional material, basically negating any surprise factor of having him in it.

^ That's outstanding (about Anthony Hopkins). I love how they just did a complete reset with M:I3, wiping Thandie Newton off the planet and jumping right into his marriage. 

(And I guess I should retract my original gripe with screenwriter Robert Towne, he came in and did rewrites so who knows what was his and what he punched up. Either way, it's still a hot pile. Apparently a number of action sequences were planned before the script was written and they just had to find a way to get to them.)

EDIT: Thank you for combining threads...I didnt find it on google and didnt bother to search in here. My bad)

I think this would be an excellent HDTGM selection -- a bizarro entry in an otherwise really solid franchise.

• Like 1

Aside from movies aimed at someone way outside my demographic, this was one of the first movies I saw and thought was dumb. You know how half the movies that get posted on this forum and done by the podcast are ones that everyone says they loved when they saw them as kids/teens? Not this one.

The biggest dumb thing I remember is the whole disease thing. It somehow is supposed to kill him in exactly x amount of time, and he just barely makes it and also starts getting better the second he takes the antidote. But moreover, diseases aren’t really that great of a match for an action hero. They’re just...too passive of a threat, I suppose. Imagine James Bond getting syphillis and the climax of the movie being him getting treated for it just in time. Yeah.

Plus the whole “action hero is cured of a bioweapon disease just in time” thing was already done by Bruno the Kid, and they did a much better job.

I also remember people laughing in the theater at the 3.001st and final surprise mask removal.

That motorcycle scene at the end is so terrible it makes me angry at how many talented people risked their lives for one of the most poorly directed action scenes in blockbuster history. 

Sign in to follow this