🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×

Adam Scott Aukerman are back together this week to discuss all of R.E.M.’s collaborations. They also talk about Scott being trapped in a parking lot for hours as The Cure played in concert, the cursing situation at their households, and Prince. Plus, an important update in another episode of “U Talkin’ U2 To Me?”.

• Like 1

Really great ep per usual. Was hoping to hear some of Peter Dollarbill's excellent work with Robyn Hitchcock both guesting on the Egyptians records and in the band The Venus 3. Stipend also sings on at least two of Hitchcock's songs Dark Green Energy (https://youtu.be/5sWLgVaL0CY) and She Doesn't Exist (https://youtu.be/Pp63e_UfSOo). Keep up the good work. You edify so completely. 

• Like 1

Two missing songs that I like: 

Sam Phillips cowrote the song Slapstick Heart with the 4 for her Omnipop album. Stipend doesn't sing on it, but the others play on the track. 

Billy Bragg collab on You Woke Up My Neighborhood is one of my favorites. I believe the whole band played. Peter Dollarbill and Stipend are in the video. 

More Billy: I had a Billy Bragg tour VHS tape that had a version of John Prine's Hello in There as performed by Stipend and Natalie Merchant, with Bragg on guitar. There's a crappy version of it on Youtube:

Edited by jdc
I forgot something awesome
  • Like 1

This episode took me way back to some songs I really liked, and haven't heard in ages.  I remember being super into that One Giant Leap song in the '90s, and the Kristin Hersh 'Your Ghost" song that Adam loves and Scott thought boring.  Going to dig them back up again, make sure I have them. 

Also love Hindu Love Gods, so fun... but do wish REM had backed Zevon on something a little more 'official', not just drunken blues jams.  That would've been remarkable, I'm sure.

• Like 2

Sid Straw and Michael Stipe on "Future 40s (String of Pearls)" which I hadn't heard in 20+ years. And now it's all my brain wants to sing.

• Like 1

Dudes - Peter Buck plays on two songs far more significant than any of the ones covered in this episode:

1.  "I Will Dare" by the Replacements

2.  "Madonna of the Wasps" by Robyn Hitchcock

The first is one of the best songs on the best album of one of the best bands ever.

The second is a also great song, and the guitar part ranks with Peter Buck's very best.

Also "In the Sun" is  Joseph Arthur song, not a Michael Stipe / Coldplay co-authorship.  And the original is far better than the cover version.

• Like 1

Great ep. My favorite recent collab is Peter Buck playing all over The Decemberists album "The King is Dead." "Down by the Water" is practically an R.E.M. tribute song.

sorta suprised there was no mention of stipes involvement with vic chesnutts albums [he produced little & west of rome]

they also did a duet on is the actor happy?

On 8/9/2018 at 11:34 AM, jdc said:

Two missing songs that I like: 

Sam Phillips cowrote the song Slapstick Heart with the 4 for her Omnipop album. Stipend doesn't sing on it, but the others play on the track. 

Billy Bragg collab on You Woke Up My Neighborhood is one of my favorites. I believe the whole band played. Peter Dollarbill and Stipend are in the video. 

More Billy: I had a Billy Bragg tour VHS tape that had a version of John Prine's Hello in There as performed by Stipend and Natalie Merchant, with Bragg on guitar. There's a crappy version of it on Youtube:

wasnt the bragg/merchant/stipe show billed as 'bingo hand job'?