🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 195 - Never Too Young to Die: LIVE! (w/ Matt McConkey)

On 8/20/2018 at 4:25 PM, hotironskillet said:

I wanted to know what was the difference between the files that said "secret" and the ones that said "confidential."

I suppose the 'confidential' files they're allowed to let people know about but just can't reveal what's in them and the 'secret' files.... well those, you're not allowed even to know they exist.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SideofMcG said:

I suppose the 'confidential' files they're allowed to let people know about but just can't reveal what's in them and the 'secret' files.... well those, you're not allowed even to know they exist.

Technically, these are just different classification categories. Something that is "secret" has more sensitive information in it than "classified," so you'd need a higher level of clearance for secret information. Someone can correct me, but off the cuff, I think the main classification systems are: Confidential; Secret; Top Secret; Code Word. 

As an aside, one thing that gets in my craw about a lot of fictitious portrayals of security clearances is that just because you have high-level security clearance, that doesn't mean you have access to anything under the sun. You only get access to what is absolutely required for your specific job duties. (That cliche "need to know" basis).  

• Like 4

6 hours ago, RyanSz said:

Voight also starred in Baby Geniuses 2, the Baby Geniuses TV show that only aired in Italy and the Far East, as well as Karate Dog. Needless to say Voight needs a new manager.

Yep. And Voight said it was for another movie, but I heard the whole reason he went fi-core was to do the BABY GENIUSES series. I mean, at least it was for a good project...?

On 8/18/2018 at 12:13 PM, Quasar Sniffer said:

BOND NERD DEBATE! No way, Lazenby is clearly the WORST. He's just so dull and uninteresting in On Her Majesty's Secret Service, a movie that is otherwise pretty great (Telly Savalas as Blofeld, Diana Rigg as Tracy Bond, possibly the best Bond Girl). My favorite moments of his performance in that movie is when Bond is supposed to be doing an accent of a heraldry expert and Lazenby is dubbed by another, better, actor.

And I have watched the Hulu documentary about him, which only made me dislike him more. He just came across like a egomaniacal tool, while Bonds like Dalton and Moore are Unqualified Gentlemen.

Speaking of Dalton, I really enjoy him as Bond. I think Moore had so solidly established a brand of his quip-heavy, arched eyebrow charm as James Bond, the franchise needed something drastically different. Timothy Dalton brought that, with his searing sexiness and undercurrent of rage. He's, in my opinion, the closest Bond to Fleming's novels and so I definitely enjoy his performances.  Craig has that anger and bitterness too, but it's more on the surface, more unleashed than the quintessentially English Agent Dalton plays him as (even though the character is of Scottish heritage and Dalton is Welsh).

Totally agree! The Laz lacks Connery's charisma, Moore's smarmy charm, Dalton's steely determination, Brosno's hammy wit, or Craig's Craig-ness. Also, for a guy who bailed on the Bond franchise to get hippie wet, Lazenby sure did a lot of guest appearances in what were essentially "Bond cosplay" to remind audiences that he once (!) played the suave British secret agent. In the Master Ninja II episode of MST3K, for instance, Lazenby plays "Chip" Bond-like character, complete with tuxedo, gadgets and a vintage Aston-Martin DB-9 he stole from the set of Goldfinger.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Blast Hardcheese said:

Totally agree! The Laz lacks Connery's charisma, Moore's smarmy charm, Dalton's steely determination, Brosno's hammy wit, or Craig's Craig-ness. Also, for a guy who bailed on the Bond franchise to get hippie wet, Lazenby sure did a lot of guest appearances in what were essentially "Bond cosplay" to remind audiences that he once (!) played the suave British secret agent. In the Master Ninja II episode of MST3K, for instance, Lazenby plays "Chip" Bond-like character, complete with tuxedo, gadgets and a vintage Aston-Martin DB-9 he stole from the set of Goldfinger.

Lazenby was such a terrible bond that you could even say that James Coburn's spoof on the character as Derek Flint was a better Bond as Lazenby. 

• Like 1

On 8/20/2018 at 12:00 PM, Cam Bert said:

I was and still am very confused about who the woman at the beginning of the movie was. At first I thought she was a member of the Stargrove family because she was wearing Stargrove crest earrings. Then I thought if she was, why would Ragnar need those to let him know Stargrove was involved. Also if she was, why wasn't she in any of the pictures at Stargrove Sr.'s house. Then I thought that she was the "bond girl" to Stargrove Sr.'s bond. He used her to get the RAM-K and probably slept with her. This still doesn't explain where the earrings come from. Unless Stargrove Sr. hands them out to any woman he beds or helps in which guess isn't that a little too tacky? Giving out your family crest to people just seems like a legit douchy move. Also, if that is the "reward" for "helping" him, what if they were to run into another woman also wearing them? Talk about awkward moments. Not to mention the obvious implication that we get from this movie that if they are ever captured they will know that somehow Stargrove is involved. 

Better than a Jeter fruit basket!

On 8/20/2018 at 8:02 AM, SideofMcG said:

Surely the original title for this film was going to be Stargrove?

Why else would the flawless Stargrove song be front and centre?

But Stargrove suggests a sci-fi adventure or at least a sci-fi suburban dwelling so they probably changed it to the no-problems-at-all title that we all know and love.

How about "Operation: Stargrove" (Portuguese/Tagline: To hunt that gang they formed Operation Stargrove) or

"Stargrove and Danja" (French/Tagline: Waterfalls. Prosecution. Fights. To cut the Soueele[?]) or

"Lance-Never Die Young" (German/Tagline: He is only 18, and is already hunted by all) or

"Not To Be Late" (Turkish/Tagline: When a student is unaware of everything, he has become the target of bloody killers)?

operaco-stargrove-john-stamos-vanity-gene-simmons-D_NQ_NP_899867-MLB26618807532_012018-F.jpg

Never-Too-Young-to-Die-Poster-14.jpg

nevertoo.jpg

never-too-young-to-die-turkish-vhs-cover.jpg

• Like 6

On 8/17/2018 at 12:15 PM, Aaron TE Price said:

I think something needs to be said for how progressive Cliff's performance is, considering the context of when this movie was made. He's an Asian-American supporting character from the 80's that doesn't speak with an embarrassing accent or make offensive Asian metaphors. The fact that he's Asian-American isn't even referenced, which seems pretty much unthought of back then.

Granted, he's a genius inventor, which could be considered a stereotype, but at least it's not an offensive one, which was a rarity.

He still had plenty of time to play Rain in Big Trouble in Little China the same year.

rain4.jpg

• Like 1

Okay, another story about Gene Simmons being a dick.  This time, I'm going back to the "Rockstar" thread.

Remember a few years ago, when Paris Hilton tried to trademark "That's Hot!"?  Well, Gene Simmons attempted a similar thing with the "Metal Horns" hand gesture, because, he "invented" it.  And the way he did it?  It was completely accidental!

After a show, he was waving to the crowd, but he still had his bass pick in his hand, because those things cost a dollar, so he wasn't throwing that shit away.  Well, because he had his pick in his hand, only his index finger, and his pinky finger were up, and when he looked into the crowd, they were doing it back to him, like it was a hand gesture.  Ipso facto, Gene Simmons "invented" the metal horns, so he should be allowed to trademark them, and make you pay to use them.

But, this has made me look into what other things Gene Simmons has trademarked and some of them are just weird:
- The term "Motion Picture".
- Those bags with the dollar sign on them
- "Chefs of Rock"
- "International Fight Club"
- "Naked Car Wash"
- "Exotic Car Wash"
- "Girls, Girls, Girls Car Wash"
- "Topless Car Wash"
- "Nude Car Wash"
- "Erotic Car Wash"
- "Bikini Car Wash"
- "Gene Jeans" Mens Fashion
- Gene Simmons' Rock Star Comedy Jam
- "Masters of Reality" - He's stolen the name of a Black Sabbath album there.
- S#IT GIRLS SAY
- ?ENIS  I believe that's supposed to be "Penis".

So, what he's doing is just sitting on shit so that other people can't use them without paying him.  What a dick.  Although, this is also a guy who tried to trademark "Love", and even admitted that he'd try to trademark the air if he could.  True to his name, he did release an album called "Asshole", which contains a hilarious cover of "Firestarter", the video just has to be seen to be believed.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Smigg. said:

So, what he's doing is just sitting on shit so that other people can't use them without paying him.  What a dick.  Although, this is also a guy who tried to trademark "Love", and even admitted that he'd try to trademark the air if he could.  True to his name, he did release an album called "Asshole", which contains a hilarious cover of "Firestarter", the video just has to be seen to be believed.

The good news is, if Simmons is not actively using the trademarks and he tries to sue for payment, the other party can ask the court to invalidate them. 

1 minute ago, WatchOutForSnakes said:

The good news is, if Simmons is not actively using the trademarks and he tries to sue for payment, the other party can ask the court to invalidate them. 

Oddly enough, he's applied for nearly 200 different trademarks, but only 44 have been granted, most of which just make him look awful, like the various car wash ideas.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Smigg. said:

Oddly enough, he's applied for nearly 200 different trademarks, but only 44 have been granted, most of which just make him look awful, like the various car wash ideas.

He has a serious car wash fetish! 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, WatchOutForSnakes said:

He's watched too many teen comedies where the protagonists need a make a quick buck.

2 hours ago, WatchOutForSnakes said:

Maybe he's just trying to launder some money.

450_1000.jpg

• Like 2

Sorry for bumping a long dead thread but after listening to some old episodes I had got it into my head that Stargrove grew up and turned evil and became Mickey Rourke in Double Team.

But it turns out that was Stavros. But I'm still not entirely sure how these shady intelligence organizations work so maybe they tweeked his name or something, I dunno.