Sign in to follow this  
ianbauer

How do I get more Twitter followers?

Any ideas? My tactic now is retweeting funny people, following other people, and saying funny things when they come to me ( I try not do over-post)

I'm @ianbauer if anyone's interested.

Get famous, that usually works.

Serious answer: You have to produce good content on a consistent basis. If you do that, the followers will come in time.

• Like 1

I've had a little luck gaining more followers over the last two months or so. (On a very small scale, mind you.) One of the tools that I like is the website http://favstar.fm. A lot of comedic-based Twitter accounts use it. It encourages people to Fav and RT some of their favorite content. I also like that you can see what tweets are popular at a given time, so you can get to know what the Twitter audience responds to.
I think another important thing to do is really know what kind of content you want to produce and what voice you'd like to take. I'd maintained the same number of followers for awhile just tweeting things about myself, the industry I work in, etc. It wasn't until I decided to really focus on solely producing jokes that I was able to gain followers who are looking specifically for that.
You might also want to listen to a few Earwolf episodes that discuss this - the Sklars talked to Alec Sulkin, Rob Delaney and some other Twitter faves. Also, Totally Laime spoke with Shelby Fero about her popularity on Twitter.
P.S. My Twitter account is http://Twitter.com/JuliaEveHays and you can see my FavStar page at http://favstar.fm/users/JuliaEveHays for an example of what those pages look like.

• Like 3

Be jealous of my 20 followers. I am going to try that Favstar thing julia, and just tweeting more in general. I am so censoring of my own tweets, need to just go ahead and post stuff even if it's not great.

Be jealous of my 20 followers. I am going to try that Favstar thing julia, and just tweeting more in general. I am so censoring of my own tweets, need to just go ahead and post stuff even if it's not great.

What's your twitter handle?

@robstraws, forgot the new forum doesnt link my account anymore.

I just got into Twitter myself @KirkmanBrandon and I feel like it's a great tool for getting ideas out of my head. I just don't know if I am crazy about getting a ton of followers more than just getting better at making something funny in 140 characters. Also a great way for both Comedians and Illustrators to connect.

There's books and articles galore on social media success, and being really good at it isn't just something everyone can do without a lot of work. There's a reason social media managers, etc have a market for their skills.

There's lots of ways to do the things you want though on a smaller scale. The main thing is creating and sharing content people want and understanding how to interact with people and find an audience.

It wasn't until I really focused on keeping most of my tweets aimed at parenting, kids, marriage, etc. Basically, true to my comedic voice and not just trying to compete with hash tags or out snark other people that I noticed more followers coming my way in larger numbers. It really is a tricky balance. Really, why do you want huge followers? If it's to promote your stuff to more people, you'll end up losing those followers anyways. Take quality over quantity and the numbers will trickle in! I love the people I'm followed by/following in return. Shout out to all of them here in the forum (Julia, Caroline, Elizabeth, Jake!) It's good times.

I guess Chase covered it, but I also wonder: does having more twitter followers have any intrinsic value? If you have to put effort specifically into generating content that the masses respond to, what are you getting except for a number that artificially props up your ego? I mean, unless you're going to grind and grind and aim for numbers in the 5-6 digits, and then use that leverage for some kind of career goal, you might want to reconsider what your motivation is.

• Like 1

I'd like to have more followers to help me hone my material and tell what works and doesn't. I've only got like 50 followers and maybe 10% are not immediate friends. So getting retweets or favorites from them, let's me know if I'm making the funnies.

I thought of a practical tip for you. Use the advanced twitter search to target and follow users closely related to your niche. Follow a whole bunch of them. A lot of the time, those users will follow back. After a couple weeks, use a program like Social Bro so you can search people you follow who don't follow you back and cut loose anyone you'd like. There's something for you.

• Like 1

have you considered a grass roots pamphleteering campaign?

i wouldn't

I've had a little luck gaining more followers over the last two months or so. (On a very small scale, mind you.) One of the tools that I like is the website http://favstar.fm........

Very cool. It's super weird having people immdediatly favorite tweets now when only a few friends would.

Thanks for the advice.

@The_Whiteness if anyone's curious.