🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

The Sixth Sense

The Sixth Sense  

12 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Does "The Sixth Sense" belong on the AFI List?

• Yes
    • No

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/01/19 at 08:00 AM

7 hours ago, CameronH said:

(Are we all still friends?)

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, Cam Bert said:

giphy.gif

(ETA: For real though, I’d totally go see Zack Attack live)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CameronH said:

(ETA: For real though, I’d totally go see Zack Attack live)

Do you think they have the girls come out as Hot Sundae in the middle of the show or is that more of an encore type thing?

• Like 2

I'd take this movie off the list.   There are just way too many better American movies. 

BTW, I saw the movie on opening weekend with friends.  I didn't know there was a twist, I just happened to assume Willis's character was dead early on because of how other people ignored him in the movie.  But my friends were shocked.

I really liked Willis since Moonlighting and I was always hoping he would have a varied career so I was pleased that he was in the Sixth Sense and that it was a solid movie and different from other parts he played.

• Like 1

On 8/31/2018 at 11:26 PM, DannytheWall said:

A couple other notes I took while re-watching:

-- I still can't get over the bad exposition of the first scene. Please hold this up as a what-not-to-do for budding screenwriters. Ditto some other times at the school, when the boyfriend was moving furniture... hm. Actually a lot.  

This scene actually rustles my jimmies to the max. The scene opens up with a couple looking at an engagement ring.  And then Anna says she'll go wrap up the purchase for them. However, at that moment the intern (?) comes up from the basement with a sofa and sets it down in the store.  So instead of handing the ring box to the couple and completing the transaction, she sits down on the sofa next to him and then proceeds to give him his gift!  It's supposed to be a tender scene, but all I could think of was hello, there are 2 impatient customers watching you!  I dunno, if I had been one of the customers, I would've written a negative Yelp review about the place.

• Like 1

So I just want to reiterate that I love this movie and think it does belong (although I would totally be willing to take it off just to deflate M Night's ego) and Toni Collette is literal perfection and she makes every movie better and maybe by the next update we can replace Sixth Sense with Hereditary because I believe that is a masterclass in horror direction and acting.

I can't quite figure out how to answer 'should this be on the list?'  So far, I've rated 3 movies 5 stars.  And looking at some of your Letterboxd lists, that's pretty normal.  I'm inclined to think the whole list should be five star films.  Are we saying there aren't 100 American five-star movies?  I can't figure out if that's unreasonable or not haha.  But if it is, most of us don't think many of these movies should be on the list... 

I am definitely curious to see how many of these top-100 I rate 5 stars.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, AlmostAGhost said:

I can't quite figure out how to answer 'should this be on the list?'  So far, I've rated 3 movies 5 stars.  And looking at some of your Letterboxd lists, that's pretty normal.  I'm inclined to think the whole list should be five star films.  Are we saying there aren't 100 American five-star movies?  I can't figure out if that's unreasonable or not haha.  But if it is, most of us don't think many of these movies should be on the list... 

Since I haven't watched this since theatres, I don't feel super qualified to say if this belongs but I definitely lean hard to not including it. Based on my last viewing of it, it was well crafted but not great. There are better horror, thriller, suspense movies that could be included in my mind if it needs to be replaced with a similar genre film.

As for movies on the AFI list, I don't rank many 5 stars but I think I rank movies differently from others. 4.5 is, for all intents, perfection or near enough. 5 stars is for movies that have a profound personal effect on my even if they aren't flawless movies. I'm pretty sure I rated Josie And The Pussycats 5 stars and I can maybe admit it's not technically perfect.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, AlmostAGhost said:

I'm pretty stingy about five star ratings, though on a list like this there will probably be a disproportionate percentage.

There are also some where I did not rate them five stars, but I understand their place. Like, Bonnie and Clyde is not completely my cup of tea, but I recognize it was an important inflection point in American cinema so I do think it "belongs" even if it's not a five-star movie for me personally.

• Like 4

Yea and that's why I can never really figure out how to answer that question.  If it's not something I see as perfect, what moves it up into the list?  Sixth Sense won't be in my top-100 after I finish watching every American movie (🤣), I'm sure, but I just don't see how to argue the AFI on things like that... any more than I can argue Josie and the Pussycats on grudlian's. And the AFI has a long list of criteria laid out about what it looked for, which makes it even more difficult to be like "NO WAY."

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, AlmostAGhost said:

I'm sure, but I just don't see how to argue the AFI on things like that... any more than I can argue Josie and the Pussycats on grudlian's.

How could anyone argue? Josie and the Pussycats is the most jerkin movie ever!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AlmostAGhost said:

Yea and that's why I can never really figure out how to answer that question.  If it's not something I see as perfect, what moves it up into the list?  Sixth Sense won't be in my top-100 after I finish watching every American movie (🤣), I'm sure, but I just don't see how to argue the AFI on things like that... any more than I can argue Josie and the Pussycats on grudlian's. And the AFI has a long list of criteria laid out about what it looked for, which makes it even more difficult to be like "NO WAY."

Yeah, that's why I centered my arguments around there being better and more influential examples of horror and/or supernatural thrillers out there. But . . . I'm sure there are people who consider The Sixth Sense a five-star movie just on artistic merit, so it's hard to argue that.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AlmostAGhost said:

I'm another person who is extremely stingy with perfect ratings.  Namely, of the over 500 films I've rated on IMDb, I've only give 6 films a perfect 10 out of 10.  (Then about 50 films got a 9 out of 10.)

So far I've only given All About Eve and Singin in the Rain 5 stars out of the 11 I've seen, but I've also liked all of them except The French Connection which got 3 stars from me. Everything seems to be hovering around 4 stars because I like it but recognize it's imperfections, and with Singin in the Rain I just love it too much to give it anything less.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, tomspanks said:

I don't know if Im stingy with 5 star ratings or I just watch a lot of garbage?

This is my question for myself. I've given just under 1% of all movies I've seen according to Letterboxd a 5 star rating. I haven't seen the entire AFI list, but of the 95 I have seen, only 7 got 5 stars. Am I just to hard of a critic?

• Like 1

I think a lot of this comes down to how critical I want to be of the movie. Like sometimes some movies are just so fun that I have a five star experience with it so I'll give it that. Is it a perfect movie? No, but it was for that moment of time. However, I think I'm viewing these movies somewhat more critically than I should be because they are on this list. It's not fair to the movies I know and I feel bad. Sorry All About Eve and Singing in the Rain.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, grudlian. said:

This is my question for myself. I've given just under 1% of all movies I've seen according to Letterboxd a 5 star rating. I haven't seen the entire AFI list, but of the 95 I have seen, only 7 got 5 stars. Am I just to hard of a critic?

Is it spoilers to ask what those seven are?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Cam Bert said:

Is it spoilers to ask what those seven are?

It's A Wonderful Life, E. T., To Kill A Mockingbird, Jaws, Raiders Of The Lost Ark, 2001, Rocky