🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 196.5 - Minisode 196.5

1 minute ago, grudlian. said:

The good news is the tour will be 90% old songs and 5 Egypt Station songs. But you're really worrying me about whenever I listen to this again.

I just finished. It's real middle-of-the-road. Nothing stands out for being good, but the bad is pretty in your face. It's a weird album for McCartney. It's like he's trying to be edgy and self-reflective, but that's not really a look he's ever worn particularly well.

Do you know who I feel bad for? The session musicians. You just know there's someone who showed up to the studio and was like, "Oh my God! I'm hear to play oboe on a Paul McCartney record. The man is a legend. 'Let it Be,' 'Hey Jude,' 'Maybe I'm Amazed.' Wow."

And then Paul walks in and is like, "Hi! Pleased to meet you. Here's me song about fucking. It's called 'Fuh You.' A-one, a-two, a-one, two three, four..."

• Like 1

Katie needs to go into witness protection.

Also, air plants! Air plants are low maintenance, pet safe, and can be bought in bulk online.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, CameronH said:

A-one, a-two, a-one, two three, four..."

I think you mean, "A-one, a-two, a-one, two, three, fuh"

Sad to hear the new album is not great. I'll probably pass on that one.

Also, does anyone mind telling me what film the next ep is covering? I've been too busy to listen these past couple weeks. Hoping I get some down time soon...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JammerLea said:

I think you mean, "A-one, a-two, a-one, two, three, fuh"

Sad to hear the new album is not great. I'll probably pass on that one.

Also, does anyone mind telling me what film the next ep is covering? I've been too busy to listen these past couple weeks. Hoping I get some down time soon...

Next movie is Beastly.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, sycasey 2.0 said:

Were we also kinkshaming the dolphins? Asking for a friend.

Well I may have brought up them masturbating with dead fish so.... maybe?

• Like 3

15 hours ago, grudlian. said:

I wasn't paying any attention to the lyrics. Just how it sounds. But the lyrics on the three singles were not good. So, this isn't surprising to hear. Especially since it seemed like he was trying to be provocative and shocking. Paul, no one is listening to your newest work for sex talk.

For a hot second I thought you guys were talking about Paul Scheer and I was fully buying it? Sure Paul has a band he plays with . Then I started reading your comments and I was very worried because I don't think I can handle having Paul singing about sex. Then I realized I'm a fucking idiot and that Paul McCartney exists. This all happened in like a minute tops but oh wow what a minute. 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, gigitastic said:

For a hot second I thought you guys were talking about Paul Scheer and I was fully buying it? Sure Paul has a band he plays with . Then I started reading your comments and I was very worried because I don't think I can handle having Paul singing about sex. Then I realized I'm a fucking idiot and that Paul McCartney exists. This all happened in like a minute tops but oh wow what a minute. 

I would totally listen to a Paul Scheer album :) What would it sound like though? I feel like it would be like a hybrid of They Might Be Giants, Death Cab for Cutie, and The Decemberists.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CameronH said:

I would totally listen to a Paul Scheer album :) What would it sound like though? I feel like it would be like a hybrid of They Might Be Giants, Death Cab for Cutie, and The Decemberists.

I kind of need Paul Jason and June to start a band now. I don't know why but I feel like a tambourine would be involved

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, gigitastic said:

I kind of need Paul Jason and June to start a band now. I don't know why but I feel like a tambourine would be involved

Yas! A tambourine! And maybe Jessica St Clair on the clam piano...and a giant shark.

tenor.gif?itemid=5541495

• Like 4

22 hours ago, CameronH said:

I just finished. It's real middle-of-the-road. Nothing stands out for being good, but the bad is pretty in your face. It's a weird album for McCartney. It's like he's trying to be edgy and self-reflective, but that's not really a look he's ever worn particularly well.

Do you know who I feel bad for? The session musicians. You just know there's someone who showed up to the studio and was like, "Oh my God! I'm hear to play oboe on a Paul McCartney record. The man is a legend. 'Let it Be,' 'Hey Jude,' 'Maybe I'm Amazed.' Wow."

And then Paul walks in and is like, "Hi! Pleased to meet you. Here's me song about fucking. It's called 'Fuh You.' A-one, a-two, a-one, two three, four..."

I've listened to it again. It has two fundamental problems.

1. It's an hour long with 16 tracks (18 if you got the Target bonus tracks). That's a long album and it's really long for every song to sound really really similar. Cut this down to 10-12 songs, maybe 40 minutes and it's already better (Brazil and Caesar Rock go first). 70s Paul had better songs and wasn't putting out 16 song albums. He was cutting better songs than literally any song on here. 

2. This is an album of album tracks. There are no singles here. Fuh You and Come On To Me have the only memorable melodies but are killed by the lyrics. So, there isn't one song that is good all the way through. There are some songs with better lyrics but forgettable melodies. 

I could go on and speculate why Paul thought this was good or why he put this out. But that's all guessing. It's not his worst album but it's definitely lower half of his albums.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, grudlian. said:

I've listened to it again. It has two fundamental problems.

1. It's an hour long with 16 tracks (18 if you got the Target bonus tracks). That's a long album and it's really long for every song to sound really really similar. Cut this down to 10-12 songs, maybe 40 minutes and it's already better (Brazil and Caesar Rock go first). 70s Paul had better songs and wasn't putting out 16 song albums. He was cutting better songs than literally any song on here. 

2. This is an album of album tracks. There are no singles here. Fuh You and Come On To Me have the only memorable melodies but are killed by the lyrics. So, there isn't one song that is good all the way through. There are some songs with better lyrics but forgettable melodies. 

I could go on and speculate why Paul thought this was good or why he put this out. But that's all guessing. It's not his worst album but it's definitely lower half of his albums.

I agree 100%

I think my issue is - if you look at an album like Flaming Pie - there are really only two songs I don’t care for, “Really Love You” and “Used to Be Bad.” I think my problem is that both of those songs came about on the spur of the moment during jam sessions. Don’t get me wrong, for jam session songs they’re just fine, but they’re not the type of songs you put on the album. (Kind of like that atrocity he recorded with Dave Grohl, Kirst Noveselic, and Pat Smear..) They’re songs you put in a fault that you release as unreleased tracks on an overproduced box set. Anyway, for me, Egypt Station feels like a whole album of jam session songs that they just over produced. 

I don’t know. For me, this round goes to Mr. Brian Wilson.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CameronH said:

I agree 100%

I think my issue is - if you look at an album like Flaming Pie - there are really only two songs I don’t care for, “Really Love You” and “Used to Be Bad.” I think my problem is that both of those songs came about on the spur of the moment during jam sessions. Don’t get me wrong, for jam session songs they’re just fine, but they’re not the type of songs you put on the album. (Kind of like that atrocity he recorded with Dave Grohl, Kirst Noveselic, and Pat Smear..) They’re songs you put in a fault that you release as unreleased tracks on an overproduced box set. Anyway, for me, Egypt Station feels like a whole album of jam session songs that they just over produced. 

I don’t know. For me, this round goes to Mr. Brian Wilson.

I guarantee Caesar Rock is from a jam session or experimenting in the studio. The rest of the album feels too written to originate from jams because Paul jams always sound like Used To Be Bad or Really Love You. Just generic 1950s three chord rock/blues. Can you imagine how dire the jam session that resulted in I Don't Know would have to be?

As for Flaming Pie, remember Great Day? It was an old song that Paul dug up and recorded. Do that! Please. I know Paul has hours of unreleased songs or obscure b sides or only got released as bonus material on the archive remasters. Record some of these so they sound similar enough for a cohesive album.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, grudlian. said:

I guarantee Caesar Rock is from a jam session or experimenting in the studio. The rest of the album feels too written to originate from jams because Paul jams always sound like Used To Be Bad or Really Love You. Just generic 1950s three chord rock/blues. Can you imagine how dire the jam session that resulted in I Don't Know would have to be?

As for Flaming Pie, remember Great Day? It was an old song that Paul dug up and recorded. Do that! Please. I know Paul has hours of unreleased songs or obscure b sides or only got released as bonus material on the archive remasters. Record some of these so they sound similar enough for a cohesive album.

“Great Day” is a great song. IIRC, it even has a nice story behind it (which you probably already know). Apparently, Paul, Linda, and the kids were stuck inside due to a hurricane and he remembered the song as something he used to play for his children to make them happy. 

I guess you’re right that the arrangements are a bit too polished to be the result of jam sessions. I guess they just seem so half-assed. Like you know “Brazil” came about because the chords sounded “Brazil-y” and he just improvised some bullshit over it. 

I think I kind of like “Despite Repeated Warnings,” (or at least what it’s trying to do) but it still doesn’t sound quite right. I don’t know. Something’s just not right. Something feels a bit off. Maybe he needs a different producer? Everything sounds simultaneously over and under produced. This album is a goddamn cipher!

On 9/7/2018 at 8:12 PM, CameronH said:

Honestly, I’ve only heard two songs that weren’t already released, and at the risk of sounding like a kinkshaming ageist, I’m not sure I want hear about horny, 76-year-old Paul...

Cameron, join the dark side

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CameronH said:

“Great Day” is a great song. IIRC, it even has a nice story behind it (which you probably already know). Apparently, Paul, Linda, and the kids were stuck inside due to a hurricane and he remembered the song as something he used to play for his children to make them happy. 

I guess you’re right that the arrangements are a bit too polished to be the result of jam sessions. I guess they just seem so half-assed. Like you know “Brazil” came about because the chords sounded “Brazil-y” and he just improvised some bullshit over it. 

I think I kind of like “Despite Repeated Warnings,” (or at least what it’s trying to do) but it still doesn’t sound quite right. I don’t know. Something’s just not right. Something feels a bit off. Maybe he needs a different producer? Everything sounds simultaneously over and under produced. This album is a goddamn cipher!

I didn't know the story behind Great Day. That's kind of interesting.

I think there's something about the production that they tried to make all the songs fit together soundwise. So it feels like a cohesive album instead of a bunch of songs that don't sound like they belong together if that makes sense. I literally could not, for a million dollars, tell you anything about Despite Repeated Warnings. I remember thinking it's okay but it is forgettable like the whole album.

I found a bunch of videos youtube where Paul discusses every song. It's mildly informative but it's not going to make you like anything any more.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, grudlian. said:

I didn't know the story behind Great Day. That's kind of interesting.

I think there's something about the production that they tried to make all the songs fit together soundwise. So it feels like a cohesive album instead of a bunch of songs that don't sound like they belong together if that makes sense. I literally could not, for a million dollars, tell you anything about Despite Repeated Warnings. I remember thinking it's okay but it is forgettable like the whole album.

I found a bunch of videos youtube where Paul discusses every song. It's mildly informative but it's not going to make you like anything any more.

Oh lord. That is almost exactly what we predicted. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CameronH said:

Oh lord. That is almost exactly what we predicted. 

When I found out Confidante is about a guitar, I was so disappointed.

• Like 1

On 9/8/2018 at 2:36 PM, CameronH said:

Yas! A tambourine! And maybe Jessica St Clair on the clam piano...and a giant shark.

tenor.gif?itemid=5541495

Have Nicole Byer and/or Jason Statham dress up as a Megladond to be the shark and I'm sold. The idea of Statham in a megladon version of the Baby Shark costume is the new highlight of my week.

• Like 2

Way off topic but last night I dreamt of a new episode of the show and when I woke up I was convinced that it was real for a good five minutes even though I couldn't remember any real details. I often use the podcast to fall asleep when I'm having trouble keeping my brain quiet. So I just assumed that I fell asleep on an amazing episode I had never heard of or had forgotten. All I remember of the dream was Jason being really extra. Truly he was the Jason of the group that dream episode. I was here for it!

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Elektra Boogaloo said:

Can we name the band Kinkshaming Dolphins?

Yes. And their first album should be called Tales from Blockbuster and the lead single should be "Mom (Let's French Kiss)" with the B-Side "It's Not Making Love (It's Called Fuckin')." 

What are some other possible tracks on the album?

• Like 4

13 hours ago, CameronH said:

Yes. And their first album should be called Tales from Blockbuster and the lead single should be "Mom (Let's French Kiss)" with the B-Side "It's Not Making Love (It's Called Fuckin')." 

What are some other possible tracks on the album?

There's definitely a "How's Yo Dick?" track that becomes their ultimate bedroom song.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, gigitastic said:

Have Nicole Byer and/or Jason Statham dress up as a Megladond to be the shark and I'm sold. The idea of Statham in a megladon version of the Baby Shark costume is the new highlight of my week.

• Like 2