🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
blacksparrow86

Supergirl (1984)

Loved this movie growing up. Little in the way of plot or characters, but plenty of upskirt action.

• Like 1

This movie is perfect for HDTGM because it features so many otherwise good actors giving terrible performances. Faye Dunaway, Peter O'Toole, Mia Farrow...how the hell did they get these people?

• Like 3

This movie is perfect for HDTGM because it features so many otherwise good actors giving terrible performances. Faye Dunaway, Peter O'Toole, Mia Farrow...how the hell did they get these people?

Likely in the same way they got Marlon Brando to show up for a few minutes at the beginning of "Superman": Lots and lots of money.

(Incidentally, I keep getting confused at the name of the thread; I'm sure "Supergirl" is written as one word, so "Super Girl" keeps making me think it's some obscure indie film.)

Likely in the same way they got Marlon Brando to show up for a few minutes at the beginning of "Superman": Lots and lots of money.

Given that this came after Superman 3 flopped and factoring in Jack O'Halloran's stories about how hard it was to get paid by the Salkinds (not to mention the fact that they deleted Brando's Superman 2 scenes because they didn't want to pay him), I sort of figured there wasn't much money to go around for this.

Ok now THIS is the superman-related movie to do, not Man of Steel.

I concur. This movie is basically upskirt shots mixed in with crazy acting by Faye Dunaway. Also, the main plot is basically a catfight for the dude in the movie. If you thought Catwoman set women back, you haven't seen Supergirl.

If you look closely at the prints of this movie you can see the teethmarks Faye left behind as she chewed the scenery.

I could have sworn we had a topic going on this, but I can't keep that stuff straight anymore.

Peter O'Toole is in this. For reals.

Peter O'Toole is in this. For reals.

Filling the Marlon Brando role of "I may be a respected actor, but they offered me enough money to buy a house in the Hamptons for doing barely a week of shooting."

From imbd -- A second opinion:

So boys it looks like you didn't know girls could fly

The only known heroes in the days were Superman, Batman, etc. It seemed like Superman was the only one fit to fly. Then man invented airplanes, then man has been in office as president for over a century. It seems like we have had enough of men thinking they could fly over tall buildings like twin towers. Well cruisin back to 1984 we have Supergirl and the woman who plays her role is outrageous and perfect for the role at that. No one shows such drama and character for the part. In fact I suggest we remake the movie and cast someone else to appeal to this new generation. The supergirl movie appealed to me cause I grew up as a child in the 80s. I think it was the most wonderful movie to escape to and to really believe in women as heroes, for example modern day police officers really do protect you and they are women, so supergirl was like my hero in the 80s and Faye Dunway did an excellent job as the wicked witch. I liked the part when she gave the construction worker a spell beer and he fell into her haunted house.

The purity and essence of supergirl is almost unattainable by any other person fit to play her role. It is true and realistic that supergirl would save the world from some evil spell caster who wants to wreck the world.

I think this movie is far underrated on IMDB and should get a perfect 10.

Angelique McCall

So boys it looks like you didn't know girls could fly

The only known heroes in the days were Superman, Batman, etc. It seemed like Superman was the only one fit to fly. Then man invented airplanes, then man has been in office as president for over a century. It seems like we have had enough of men thinking they could fly over tall buildings like twin towers. Well cruisin back to 1984 we have Supergirl and the woman who plays her role is outrageous and perfect for the role at that. No one shows such drama and character for the part. In fact I suggest we remake the movie and cast someone else to appeal to this new generation. The supergirl movie appealed to me cause I grew up as a child in the 80s. I think it was the most wonderful movie to escape to and to really believe in women as heroes, for example modern day police officers really do protect you and they are women, so supergirl was like my hero in the 80s and Faye Dunway did an excellent job as the wicked witch. I liked the part when she gave the construction worker a spell beer and he fell into her haunted house.

The purity and essence of supergirl is almost unattainable by any other person fit to play her role. It is true and realistic that supergirl would save the world from some evil spell caster who wants to wreck the world.

I think this movie is far underrated on IMDB and should get a perfect 10.

Angelique McCall

Wow! Well, everyone has an opinion. There is something positive when you first get a representation of you being powerful and the hero when for a long time you have been ignored. But just like blaxpolitation movies -- which I have a fondness for -- there's a downside when that representation is still couched around narrow and negative paradigms.

But Anelique's review aside, this is a HDTGM-worthy movie; good actors in shitty roles, and bad actors in bad roles.

There is something positive when you first get a representation of you being powerful and the hero when for a long time you have been ignored. But just like blaxpolitation movies -- which I have a fondness for -- there's a downside when that representation is still couched around narrow and negative paradigms.

Knowledge bomb there. I mean, I love Fred Williamson but... yikes...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0072725/

• Like 1

.. I liked the part when (Faye Dunaway) gave the construction worker a spell beer and he fell into her haunted house ...

Angelique McCall

How come stuff like this never happens to me? I've been waiting for some witchy woman to give me a spell beer.

• Like 1

Forget this movie can we see "Boss Nigger" LOL

My God it's like Django Unchained meets Blazing Saddles.

• Like 1

I love Fred Williamson but... yikes...

{THERE WAS A PICTURE HERE BUT I TOOK IT AWAY - Shannon}

Only in the 70s could a movie be released with that title. And get a PG rating.

YES. I watched this movie over and over when I was a kid and it's so bonkers.

OH GOD! :o

Can we just link to the IMDB page instead of linking to the poster? The n-word is large and in charge on this poster, and it hurts my eyes and soul to see it.

Can we just link to the IMDB page instead of linking to the poster? The n-word is large and in charge on this poster, and it hurts my eyes and soul to see it.

Sorry man, did not intend to cause pain. It was just the most blatant offender I could think of offhand -- probably not the best thing to post. Shitty thing is that everyone who quoted it has to edit. Probably should have thrown up this instead:

BlackCaesar.jpg

(Written and directed by Larry Cohen, who made The Stuff, a movie people have suggested on this forum.)

I think blaxploitation was super interesting in hindsight because it gave black audiences films to rally behind (like Cotton Comes To Harlem, both making fun of white racists but also reflect on issues within the black community; poverty, urban crime, etc) while, as you said, reinforced and contributed to stereotypes for white audiences. Lots more to be said about this all but I don't know anything; I have a degree in music.

(

is a fucking awesome movie, incidentally.)

Again, I apologize for not thinking my post through. Have a piece of summah gum? Friendz?

Sorry man, did not intend to cause pain. It was just the most blatant offender I could think of offhand -- probably not the best thing to post. Shitty thing is that everyone who quoted it has to edit. Probably should have thrown up this instead:

BlackCaesar.jpg

(Written and directed by Larry Cohen, who made The Stuff, a movie people have suggested on this forum.)

I think blaxploitation was super interesting in hindsight because it gave black audiences films to rally behind (like Cotton Comes To Harlem, both making fun of white racists but also reflect on issues within the black community; poverty, urban crime, etc) while, as you said, reinforced and contributed to stereotypes for white audiences. Lots more to be said about this all but I don't know anything; I have a degree in music.

(

is a fucking awesome movie, incidentally.)

Again, I apologize for not thinking my post through. Have a piece of summah gum? Friendz?

No problem, man, I do appreciate it. :)

Yeah, Cotton Comes to Harlem is really good. I really have a fondness for Uptown Saturday Night and Let's Do It Again. I think out all of the blaxpolitation movies, those were the least problematic, probably due to Cosby's strong hand in production.

I think if HDTGM discusses another superhero movie, it should be Supergirl. It's a perfect example of some amazing actors in an awful movie. You might even get Helen Slater on as a special guest.

Forget this movie can we see "Boss Nigger" LOL

My God it's like Django Unchained meets Blazing Saddles.

When I'd first heard of this movie, I'd only listened to the radio spot or something, because I remember just losing it at the end when I heard "...rated PG!".

• Like 1