šŸ”’ The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... Ɨ
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays Week 47 Stage Fright

58 minutes ago, taylorannephoto said:

So with the creepy director kid, I think since he's in the beginning "We're Gay!" song we're to assume he's like the oldest possible age you can be to go to this camp? He seems like 18 tops and the main girl looks 16 (???)

Obviously still creepy af but probably not the kind of creepy that we all got from it.

Thatā€™s true, but I feel like if heā€™s the director atĀ that type of camp, heā€™s at least a counselor - which makes him an adult for sure. (Not to mention he has alcohol. Not saying underage people donā€™t/canā€™tĀ drink, but Iā€™d guess heā€™s at least 21) Honestly, Iā€™mĀ Ā not even that concerned with the main girl since sheā€™s certainly over 18 if she and her brother are thinking of starting their own restaurant. Itā€™s the other campers Iā€™m worried about. Itā€™s heavily implied that he is pulling this with a few of the actual campers.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, CameronH said:

Thatā€™s true, but I feel like if heā€™s the director atĀ that type of camp, heā€™s at least a counselor - which makes him an adult for sure. (Not to mention he has alcohol. Not saying underage people donā€™t/canā€™tĀ drink, but Iā€™d guess heā€™s at least 21) Honestly, Iā€™mĀ Ā not even that concerned with the main girl since sheā€™s certainly over 18 if she and her brother are thinking of starting their own restaurant. Itā€™s the other campers Iā€™m worried about. Itā€™s heavily implied that he is pulling this with a few of the actual campers.

Yeah I feel you I just disagree about who is allowed to be a counselor. When I went to camp there were fellow people my age (and under) working for the camp as like a residency program for college shit. If he's trying to be an actual stage director then he could be using this camp for a resume sorta thing to get his name out there before he heads to college (or skips college and heads to Broadway).

ETA: Also in Wet Hot American Summer (obviously throwing out the joke that they are all in their 20s-30s when they filmed it) they make genuine comments that they were all 16-18.

• Like 1

This also shows how bad this movie is if none of us can agree how old these fucking characters are lol

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, taylorannephoto said:

Yeah I feel you I just disagree about who is allowed to be a counselor. When I went to camp there were fellow people my age (and under) working for the camp as like a residency program for college shit. If he's trying to be an actual stage director then he could be using this camp for a resume sorta thing to get his name out there before he heads to college (or skips college and heads to Broadway).

ETA: Also in Wet Hot American Summer (obviously throwing out the joke that they are all in their 20s-30s when they filmed it) they make genuine comments that they were all 16-18.

Oh, that makes sense. (I never went to camp :)Ā )

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, CameronH said:

Oh, that makes sense. (I never went to camp :)Ā )

It's not as magical as they portray in the movies ;)

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, taylorannephoto said:

It's not as magical as they portray in the movies ;)

is it as sex-starved and horny as they portray it in the movies tho

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, taylorannephoto said:

Her situation is different because Meatloaf is basically her guardian and owns the camp so she got put to work. It's like Demi Lovato in Camp Rock (omg we should do that for MM one week lol), her mom is the head chef and is basically using her daughter as an extra set of hands.

That adds to my question about how the camp works.Ā  How did Meatloaf get guardianship in the first place?Ā  Also that means the sister and brother grew up at the camp or at least had to spend each summer there.Ā  In a normal camp (even one like Meatballs) they would be running the place by then, not stuck in the kitchen.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, AlmostAGhost said:

In 8th grade yes, but it was just a lot of making and as far as I know no actual sexual acts but *shrugs* maybe there was some. There was definitely talk about sex and that was the era of those bracelets that were given to girls when boys wanted them to do stuff and this guy I had a big crush on gave me the sex one and told me to come back to him when I was 16 lmao. By that point we were no longer really friends so that ship never came to port LOL.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cinco DeNio said:

That adds to my question about how the camp works.Ā  How did Meatloaf get guardianship in the first place?Ā  Also that means the sister and brother grew up at the camp or at least had to spend each summer there.Ā  In a normal camp (even one like Meatballs) they would be running the place by then, not stuck in the kitchen.

I think they were seen more as "the help" and really looked down upon. It seems like Meatloaf had made them interacting with the activities at the camp forbidden until that year, and even if he hadn't that snotty girl absolutely hated the fact that "the help" was even allowed to audition.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, AlmostAGhost said:

And fewer murders.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, taylorannephoto said:

This also shows how bad this movie is if none of us can agree how old these fucking characters are lol

I know this isn't important to the movie but I really want to nail this down. How old did the main girl look when Minnie Driver was killed? 6? 7? 8? I'm not good at telling kids' ages. We can add the 10 years since the murder.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tomspanks said:

And fewer murders.

What boring camp did you go to? My camps were getting 1-2 murders a day.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, grudlian. said:

What boring camp did you go to? My camps were getting 1-2 murders a day.

I went to Camp Wannaslaya

• Like 3

Okay, just so I'm not being completely negative, I did have a little chuckle when the little camper girl asks, "Isn't it wrong to sing and dance when someone just died?"Ā 

• Like 4

Did Meatloaf sing his big "I had this idea" song at the beginning of each camp season?Ā  If so did he change the lyrics?Ā  Otherwise (paraphrasing) "Everyone laughed at me but look at this success story" sounds silly at Year 2.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, grudlian. said:

I know this isn't important to the movie but I really want to nail this down. How old did the main girl look when Minnie Driver was killed? 6? 7? 8? I'm not good at telling kids' ages. We can add the 10 years since the murder.

6-8 seems accurate to me. (I have nieces age 6 and 8. She seemed similar to me.)Ā  6 seems a little young though, so I'd put her around 7 or 8.

• Like 3

Did anyone else find the singing to be particularly...not good? There were some songs where I was just like, ā€œno.ā€

Of course, this goes back to the idea that everything was kind of half-assed. Had even one of the elements been better, I think the movie would have been more enjoyable.

• Like 4

The janitor was nothing but a red herring.Ā  I thought he was going to be the one to save the day at the end instead of the kid who inexplicably figured everything out and was somehow in love with the girl from the beginning.Ā  He'd been around long enough that he had to have seen her in previous years, didn't he?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, grudlian. said:

I just had another thought about the ages.Ā  If the twins were not old enough for independence then who were they going to get shipped off to now?Ā  If they WERE old enough, why did they stay at the camp and work as slaves?!?!

I thought the singers were fine, really, for young Canadian IdolĀ quality performers.Ā  To me, the songs were just so bad that nobody could save them.

I just was browsing through Wiki.Ā  The lead actress has an EP under the pseudonym ofĀ Sureilla.Ā  Spotify, here I come

• Like 5

9 hours ago, CameronH said:

Okay, just so I'm not being completely negative, I did have a little chuckle when the little camper girl asks, "Isn't it wrong to sing and dance when someone just died?"Ā 

I had 2 sensible chuckles.Ā  First one was when the kids are arriving at camp and the kid in glasses says that someone beat him up for liking musicals and it was his dad.Ā  I can't remember the second one...

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Cinco DeNio said:

I just had another thought about the ages.Ā  If the twins were not old enough for independence then who were they going to get shipped off to now?Ā  If they WERE old enough, why did they stay at the camp and work as slaves?!?!

Hold up.Ā  They were twins?!

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, tomspanks said:

Hold up.Ā  They were twins?!

And the "I Totally Checked Out of the Movie" Award goes to...šŸ˜œ

• Like 3
  • Haha 1