🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 197 - Beastly: LIVE!

5 hours ago, CameronH said:

At one point, Lindy tells Hunter that one of the things she respected the most about Kyle was: "...he called things like he saw them, even if he did see them wrong." But...that's insane, right? Sure, being forthright is admirable, but it's not like he was this lone, brave voice speaking out against injustice or something. He was using his popularity to publicly bully kids that didn't fit his standard of beauty. That's not admirable, that's fucking deplorable! What Lindy is saying here would be equivalent of someone remarking: "That person is saying the most vilely racist shit I've ever heard, but hey, you've got to respect them for speaking their truth, right?" That's bonkers!

Is that really the kind honesty that should be respected, Lindy, or is it possible that the writers were so desperate to come up with a reason for your character to be attracted to Kyle (that wasn't based exclusively on his looks) that they made your character say some truly crazy bullshit?     

All of the dialogue in the movie is crap, from the insults to the compliments. Lindy's speech at the Halloween party is one of the worst offenders. 

I get that she's the type of person would want to treat everyone--even mean people--with kindness, and that she tries to see the best in people. But to say "that guy's horrible but he speaks his mind" doesn't stop the person from being horrible. The Belle analogs are always represented as being kind and smart, and you can tell they were trying to go for that with Lindy but everything the writers made her say makes her seem naive and stupid. 

But also Vanessa Hudgens was definitely drunk during that Halloween scene, right? 

• Like 4

I loved the cuckoo bananas progression of Lindy and “Hunter’s” meet up.

When she first arrives, Lindy yells into the house that she’ll “tase” him if he comes near her. After this, “Hunter” brings her supper and attempts to explain what’s going on, and she tells him to fuck right the Hell off. Then, weeks later, she just casually walks in on him while he’s watching Korean television and is like, “So are we ever going to meet or what?”

I also thought it was funny that when he brings her dinner, she steadfastly refuses to open the door for him, but the next couple of times he knocks, she opens the door within seconds, and he scurries away. It’s like the movie suddenly forgot who was avoiding whom. 

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, CameronH said:

I also thought it was funny that when he brings her dinner, she steadfastly refuses to open the door for him, but the next couple of times he knocks, she opens the door within seconds, and he scurries away. It’s like the movie suddenly forgot who was avoiding whom. 

I thought it was really weird that she doesn't seem to see him or even turn her head to look around when he's watching her open the series of gifts.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, CameronH said:

They fact that Kyle’s mother abandoned him is painted as this tragic event in his life, but has anyone considered that maybe she had to just get herself out of what was most likely a living nightmare? Maybe she just couldn’t take the lack of attention and Kyle’s father’s unrealistic demands anymore. There’s nothing in the movie to suggest that Kyle’s father became the douche he is now because she left.  Maybe she saw what a terrible person he was, and saw that her son was falling in lock-step behind him, and was like, “Nope. I’m out.”

Also, minor quibble, but the gang suggested that Zola was at least partially to blame for how Kyle turned out because she helped raise him, but she says in the movie that she hasn’t seen her 6-year-old child for “half his life.” That means, at most, she’s only been with Kyle and his father for three years. It’s not like she’s been with him since childhood. She probably didn’t even meet him until he was 13 or 14. That’s plenty of time for a spoiled, little monster to get set in his ways. I’m not really sure how much influence she’s expected to have at that point - positive or otherwise.  (Also, I got the vibe she was more of a housekeeper than an au pair, but I could be wrong about that.)

YES leave Zola out of this! Even if she had been with him as a nanny she's really working against the tide in this situation. She's not the parent who makes the decisions and is the person who decides how they want the child to be raised. She's the nanny. Her job is to take care of the child and follow her boss's parenting style . Not that she has to instill intense asshole tendencies into the kid but if the parent is really into appearances for instance kid Kyle might not be allowed to wear informal clothes, or if he was rude she might not be allowed to punish him if her boss wouldn't allow that. It really depends on how much control/ neglect Anchor Dad decided to have.  If he just sort of left Kyle and Zola to themselves and never cared what Kyle said (he seems like he might try to get her in trouble with his dad) then maybe she could have had a chance if she got to him young enough. Even then though I don't think it would have done much good. In the end Kyle is still going to crave his father's approval and try to emulate him. He might have been an ok kid but I still think he would have transformed into an asshole teen if only to get daddy to notice and love him.  if they had had Zola as his childhood nanny who left and came back that might have lent credibility to the idea that he had goodness in him and that he had transformed himself into a "beast" to make his father love him. But I think maybe that's too smart for this movie.

• Like 3

Ok so it's totally not really possible but you know what would have been great if at the end we see a flashback of Kendra  talking to the mom about Kyle and his dad. The mom doesn't know that she's a witch and somehow the two meet and start chatting. And the mom will confess how worried she is that her son is going to turn into an utter BEAST like her ex husband . Which could be the reason for Kendra to specifically go to that school and to enact that curse.  Trying to think about what a good meet cute for the mom and Kendra could be . Like maybe Kendra is a waitress and the mom is always really nice to her or something. Or because this is a dramatic ass movie and in fairy tales fairies in disguise and in distress reward people who help them maybe the mom  stops to help her somehow because "I've got a son you're age".

Thoughts on my new Beastly crackfic?

• Like 4

10 hours ago, CameronH said:

At one point, Lindy tells Hunter that one of the things she respected the most about Kyle was: "...he called things like he saw them, even if he did see them wrong." But...that's insane, right? Sure, being forthright is admirable, but it's not like he was this lone, brave voice speaking out against injustice or something. He was using his popularity to publicly bully kids that didn't fit his standard of beauty. That's not admirable, that's fucking deplorable! She might as well be saying: "That person is saying the most vilely racist shit I've ever heard, but hey, you've got to respect them for speaking their truth, right?" That's bonkers!

Is that really the kind honesty that should be respected, Lindy, or is it possible that the writers were so desperate to come up with a reason for your character to be attracted to Kyle (that wasn't based exclusively on his looks) that they made your character say some truly crazy bullshit?     

I feel like that was written by a person who loves to brag about how they "Tell it like it is" and will be an asshole but excuse it by saying "Hey I'm just being honest!" Or some similar bullshit. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, gigitastic said:

Ok so it's totally not really possible but you know what would have been great if at the end we see a flashback of Kendra  talking to the mom about Kyle and his dad. The mom doesn't know that she's a witch and somehow the two meet and start chatting. And the mom will confess how worried she is that her son is going to turn into an utter BEAST like her ex husband . Which could be the reason for Kendra to specifically go to that school and to enact that curse.  Trying to think about what a good meet cute for the mom and Kendra could be . Like maybe Kendra is a waitress and the mom is always really nice to her or something. Or because this is a dramatic ass movie and in fairy tales fairies in disguise and in distress reward people who help them maybe the mom  stops to help her somehow because "I've got a son you're age".

Thoughts on my new Beastly crackfic?

I love it! 

I don’t want to step on your toes, but how do you feel about this: what if Kendra was his mom?

She leaves because she’s fed up with their nonsense, dives into black magic, and glamours herself to look like a teenager. This might explain her fixation with Kyle and his father...

• Like 5

I'd just like to point out that while it might be horribly impractical, it would technically be possible to drive from New York to Machu Picchu. Peru is in South America, so you wouldn't have to cross any oceans.

The only thing I questioned was crossing the Panama Canal, but it appears there have been two working road bridges across that since 2003. All clear for the bus to Machu Picchu!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, sycasey 2.0 said:

I'd just like to point out that while it might be horribly impractical, it would technically be possible to drive from New York to Machu Picchu. Peru is in South America, so you wouldn't have to cross any oceans.

The only thing I questioned was crossing the Panama Canal, but it appears there have been two working road bridges across that since 2003. All clear for the bus to Machu Picchu!

Still impossible

There are no roads to Machu Picchu, besides the one that comes from the tourist village in the neighboring valley. The only way to get *there* is by train.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CameronH said:

I love it! 

I don’t want to step on your toes, but how do you feel about this: what if Kendra was his mom?

She leaves because she’s fed up with their nonsense, dives into black magic, and glamours herself to look like a teenager? This might explain her fixation with Kyle and his father...

I was actually thinking that at first but thought maybe it was too weird. BRAIN TWINS! I didn't go the black magic route I just assumed she was like an immortal being which is why she couldn't take her kid with her. So she popped back into his life did NOT like what she saw and decided to ground him . God what I would have given for a scene where he petulantly screamed something about her not being his real parent/ her not having the authority to punish him . I like your idea much more though.

• Like 4

Not to mix Disney classics but if Kyle is going to buy Lindy's love why doesn't he pull an Aladdin and take her on a trip somewhere? It would get him out of the city which his dad clearly wants and they clearly can afford it. Hell he knows how oddly obsessed she is with Machu Picchu, take her to South America! I feel like she would love that more than she would candy. I mean I love candy but if I was forced into this kind of weird living situation I'd definitely choose a trip somewhere over fucking Swedish Fish or whatever it was. Not only is it a way for him to show he knows her but the two could bond on the trip.  Budget wise I understand why they don't do that but they could have them prepare for a big trip THEN have her dad od the day they were supposed to leave. It would show how selfless Kyle had become (really like the bare minimum in that situation) if he were to insist they not go and instead whisk her off to her dad instead of just putting her on a train after a day at the lake house. It gives it more stakes.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, gigitastic said:

I was actually thinking that at first but thought maybe it was too weird. BRAIN TWINS! I didn't go the black magic route I just assumed she was like an immortal being which is why she couldn't take her kid with her. So she popped back into his life did NOT like what she saw and decided to ground him . God what I would have given for a scene where he petulantly screamed something about her not being his real parent/ her not having the authority to punish him . I like your idea much more though.

What if the movie ended with us watching her high heels get off the elevator, stop in front of his desk, and then, from off screen, you hear Anchor Dad say, “Beverly?”

Credits.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, gigitastic said:

YES leave Zola out of this! Even if she had been with him as a nanny she's really working against the tide in this situation. She's not the parent who makes the decisions and is the person who decides how they want the child to be raised. She's the nanny. Her job is to take care of the child and follow her boss's parenting style . Not that she has to instill intense asshole tendencies into the kid but if the parent is really into appearances for instance kid Kyle might not be allowed to wear informal clothes, or if he was rude she might not be allowed to punish him if her boss wouldn't allow that. It really depends on how much control/ neglect Anchor Dad decided to have.  If he just sort of left Kyle and Zola to themselves and never cared what Kyle said (he seems like he might try to get her in trouble with his dad) then maybe she could have had a chance if she got to him young enough. Even then though I don't think it would have done much good. In the end Kyle is still going to crave his father's approval and try to emulate him. He might have been an ok kid but I still think he would have transformed into an asshole teen if only to get daddy to notice and love him.  if they had had Zola as his childhood nanny who left and came back that might have lent credibility to the idea that he had goodness in him and that he had transformed himself into a "beast" to make his father love him. But I think maybe that's too smart for this movie.

What if, in the sequel, Zola plays the Fraulein Maria to the dad's Captain Von Trapp? Now with her children in tow, she and they bring song and sunshine to the dad's beastly form to help him learn the lessons of true family love. 

• Like 3

I was just thinking, if Kendra's ultimate goal was to teach Kyle that looks aren't important and that it's your inner beauty that counts, then why change him back at all?  Why reward him with the thing that caused him to be a rotten person in the first place?  I dunno, I would maybe turn him back into a 5 or 6.  

• Like 5

4 hours ago, CameronH said:

What if the movie ended with us watching her high heels get off the elevator, stop in front of his desk, and then, from off screen, you hear Anchor Dad say, “Beverly?”

Credits.

I would have DIED. Perfect ending!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WatchOutForSnakes said:

What if, in the sequel, Zola plays the Fraulein Maria to the dad's Captain Von Trapp? Now with her children in tow, she and they bring song and sunshine to the dad's beastly form to help him learn the lessons of true family love. 

Yesssssss! I just want a scene where she forces Kyle to wear curtain lederhosen and parades him around New York like that.  Once they have been humbled and learn to be human can we move  into The Nanny territory or is that too much for poor Zola to take on?

• Like 1

On the Beast's design...

In his role as Hunter, Pettyfer's appearance was altered with heavy makeup and prosthetics. Hunter's appearance differs from the description in the novel; he has no fur or fangs. Pettyfer was pleased with the revision; he said, "I was very happy to know I wasn't going to be furry. Question is, were you happy I wasn't furry? Well, I think the audience will be happy. This beast make-up is phenomenal. You're talking to someone who is a fanatic about it [prosthetics and movie make-up] and I've never seen anything that looks remotely similar to this."

• Like 4

12 hours ago, joel_rosenbaum said:

Still impossible

There are no roads to Machu Picchu, besides the one that comes from the tourist village in the neighboring valley. The only way to get *there* is by train.

Ah, that's true. I'm assuming they would label the bus "Machu Picchu," but really it just takes you to the closest town.

• Like 1

On 9/16/2018 at 1:23 PM, tomspanks said:

You know what I found distracting? The way the prosthetic didn’t quite get attached to his face in the corner of his right eye. Sometimes due to the lighting you could see a big gap there. Should’ve filled the space with more silver caulk. 

CnwV1Fr.png

All I keep thinking about is how he's the next biggest white rapper. Lil Beastly.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, sycasey 2.0 said:

Ah, that's true. I'm assuming they would label the bus "Machu Picchu," but really it just takes you to the closest town.

Wait. . . are y'all actually thinking they're getting to Machu Picchu by BUS

When they kept announcing the bus for Machu Picchu, I figured it meant they were taking a bus to JFK Airport or something and would fly out to Peru. Why wouldn't they fly there? That's over a 150 hours of driving!

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, BriObsessedWithTheBest said:

Wait. . . are y'all actually thinking they're getting to Machu Picchu by BUS

This is what Jason and June assumed in the podcast. I'm just trying to play it out logically. Technically a bus could get you there . . . or pretty close at least.

• Like 3

How is it that Vanessa Hudgens doesn't pick up that her captor sounds exactly like Kyle?! She heard him give a lengthy and memorable speech... she's had 1-on-1 conversations with him before... and she has a crush on him!

His voice was never altered when he changed to the beast and others knew it was him by the sound of his voice.

Case in point, at the Halloween party, Kyle catches his girlfriend and best friend hooking up. Over loud music and some distance, he calls out her name. Both of them hear something, stop making out and immediately say, "That sounded like Kyle." 

Xyb22lB.png?1

So how does Hudgens not pick up that the Beast clearly sounds like Kyle... again... a man she has the hots for!

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, pscudese said:

How is it that Vanessa Hudgens doesn't pick up that her captor sounds exactly like Kyle?! She heard him give a lengthy and memorable speech... she's had 1-on-1 conversations with him before... and she has a crush on him!

His voice was never altered when he changed to the beast and others knew it was him by the sound of his voice.

Case in point, at the Halloween party, Kyle catches his girlfriend and best friend hooking up. Over loud music and some distance, he calls out her name. Both of them hear something, stop making out and immediately say, "That sounded like Kyle." 

Xyb22lB.png?1

So how does Hudgens not pick up that the Beast clearly sounds like Kyle... again... a man she has the hots for!

That really bugged me that they were able to hear him from so far away and over the noise from the party. Also, what the hell happened to those two? They're not in the rest of the movie.

• Like 3

What's with him creepily staring at his father's image with the chyron "Mexican Drug Wars Pose Terror Threat"? If he's such a high powered billionaire news anchor shouldn't there be some normal images of him online or in a magazine? Or why not just watch the news and see him moving and talking. Pausing it on one image is so disturbing!

• Like 1