🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays Week 48 School Daze

1 hour ago, grudlian. said:

This is what hurts the movie most. He's trying to make three different movies: a musical, a metaphor for society encapsulated in a college, and just a weekend in the life of a college. Each of these would be great movies but not all together.

Agreed. I also didn't find any of these really tied up in the end. I took the "wake up" scene to basically say that everyone needs to wake up from the notion extremism and an unwillingness to work together are productive. I think that whole message could have been better conveyed through one of the story lines, but instead Lee tried to pack in as much as possible and it became overrun with side issues. 

• Like 4

I did appreciate that the movie made me consider issues within the black community without having to include a white experience.  I'm glad I watched it, as I've only seen 2 of Spike Lee's movies before.  But it just doesn't work as a musical for me.  

• Like 5

On 9/24/2018 at 9:02 AM, grudlian. said:

2. Spike Lee's brother died during hazing at a fraternity. So, that explains, in part, why the fraternity is functionally evil.

Just want to clear up this point above.  I listened to a Spike Lee interview about School Daze and he says that "a" brother died during pledging, not that "his" brother died.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, tomspanks said:

Just want to clear up this point above.  I listened to a Spike Lee interview about School Daze and he says that "a" brother died during pledging, not that "his" brother died.

You're right. This is a big difference, at least for me, in the making of the movie. I found a clip of the commentary where Spike Lee talks about it.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, grudlian. said:

You're right. This is a big difference, at least for me, in the making of the movie. I found a clip of the commentary where Spike Lee talks about it.

This was the clip I was talking about lol

• Like 2

I always love to see Sam Jackson in early roles. I sometimes forget that even though he didn't really get big until, I want to say, Jurassic Park, he's been around forever.

schooldazefishjackson.jpg

I was also thinking this might be the youngets I've seen Lawrence Fishburne, but then I turned on Apocalypse Now and I was like, "Oh, yeah! I forgot all about Baby-Baby Morpheus..." 

laurence-fishburne-e28093-at-14-lied-abo

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, CameronH said:

I always love to see Sam Jackson in early roles. I sometimes forget that even though he didn't really get big until, I want to say, Jurassic Park, he's been around forever.

schooldazefishjackson.jpg

I was also thinking this might be the youngets I've seen Lawrence Fishburne, but then I turned on Apocalypse Now and I was like, "Oh, yeah! I forgot all about Baby-Baby Morpheus..." 

laurence-fishburne-e28093-at-14-lied-abo

I didn't know about Apocalypse Now.  Very cool!

I thought I recognized Julian from somewhere but it turns out The Usual Suspects is the only movie I remember him from.

latest?cb=20160210053959&path-prefix=es

The administration "toady" helps Bruce Willis in Die Hard 2.

latest?cb=20120401171509

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Cinco DeNio said:

I thought I recognized Julian from somewhere but it turns out The Usual Suspects is the only movie I remember him from.

latest?cb=20160210053959&path-prefix=es

That's the ONLY thing you remember him from?

MV5BY2Q5ZTFiZGYtZTkwMS00ODQwLWIyN2UtOGYy

• Like 3

Whoa I just realized Branford Marsalis was Jordan in the movie.

That is really cool. I remember liking the tenor sax in the movie score and I wonder if he was one of the actual musicians for the film. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, taylorannephoto said:

Unfortunately yes.  Bing Image Search says this is from Breaking Bad.  I never saw the series.  I was hoping he was in The Wire because his talking style in School Daze closely matched Brother Mouzone in The Wire.  Alas it's not him.

3 minutes ago, Cinco DeNio said:

Unfortunately yes.  Bing Image Search says this is from Breaking Bad.  I never saw the series.  I was hoping he was in The Wire because his talking style in School Daze closely matched Brother Mouzone in The Wire.  Alas it's not him.

Whaaaaat. Man it's really good so I think you'd like it lol.

He's also one of the first killed in Maximum Overdrive lol.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, taylorannephoto said:

It turns out he's in Trading Places as well, in a bit part.

tumblr_m17p8ozfGU1qaq4h7o1_500.gif

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, taylorannephoto said:

Whaaaaat. Man it's really good so I think you'd like it lol.

He's also one of the first killed in Maximum Overdrive lol.

Count me in as someone else who has neither seen - nor cares to see - Breaking Bad. I watched the first episode years ago, because everyone was always talking about it, and it did nothing for me.

giphy.gif

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CameronH said:

Count me in as someone else who has neither seen - nor cares to see - Breaking Bad. I watched the first episode years ago, because everyone was always talking about it, and it did nothing for me.

SAME

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CameronH said:

giphy.gif

But...but you've surely seen the masterpiece that is the music video for Don Johnson's Heartbeat featuring Giancarlo Esposito?

And, he's not as recognizable in Do The Right Thing but he's definitely fantastic in it.

dtrt7.jpg[

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, grudlian. said:

But...but you've surely seen the masterpiece that is the music video for Don Johnson's Heartbeat featuring Giancarlo Esposito?

And, he's not as recognizable in Do The Right Thing but he's definitely fantastic in it.

dtrt7.jpg[

I've never seen Breaking Bad. I know Giancarlo Esposito. :)

(And of course I know Don Johnson's "Heartbeat." Come on, son 😋)

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, tomspanks said:

Whoa I just realized Branford Marsalis was Jordan in the movie.

That is really cool. I remember liking the tenor sax in the movie score and I wonder if he was one of the actual musicians for the film. 

Spike Lee's dad, Bill, wrote the music for the film.  He also wrote the song Phyllis Hyman sings during the Homecoming dance.

• Like 3

I get it though, cause I'm like that with The Wire. Everyone keeps talking about it and I'm probably never going to see it. Although I still think Breaking Bad is one of the greatest things ever created.

On another note I think Paul did an ad for the podcast "Never Seen It" once and I have to say if y'all aren't listening to it you gotta because it's hilarious. Someone did do a Breaking Bad script having never seen it before but I think my favorite was Amy Miller writing The Shining with literally almost zero info and so she thought the whole hotel was run by kids and it's maybe one of the funniest things I've ever heard.

• Like 3

I mean, if you like Breaking Bad at all, you'd love The Wire.  There's no reason to skip out on that. 

Though I say that, and that's how I feel about The Sopranos - I haven't seen it and have no desire to.

My hot take: Better Call Saul is better than Breaking Bad.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, AlmostAGhost said:

I mean, if you like Breaking Bad at all, you'd love The Wire.  There's no reason to skip out on that. 

Though I say that, and that's how I feel about The Sopranos - I haven't seen it and have no desire to.

Oh I'm sure I'd love it but at this point with the amount of seasons it has I don't think my mind could turn off the fact that I could be spending that time elsewhere. It's why I have a hard time reading books now because I always have work to do or movies to watch for podcasts or current shows I need to catch up on or writing to do or whatever. I watched BB as it aired so it didn't feel as daunting for me, and to be honest, I haven't even started Better Call Saul yet.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, taylorannephoto said:

I get it though, cause I'm like that with The Wire. Everyone keeps talking about it and I'm probably never going to see it. Although I still think Breaking Bad is one of the greatest things ever created.

On another note I think Paul did an ad for the podcast "Never Seen It" once and I have to say if y'all aren't listening to it you gotta because it's hilarious. Someone did do a Breaking Bad script having never seen it before but I think my favorite was Amy Miller writing The Shining with literally almost zero info and so she thought the whole hotel was run by kids and it's maybe one of the funniest things I've ever heard.

If you ever do start on The Wire, please give it three episodes. The Wire drops about 30 characters on you in the first episode and you're not going to keep track of them all. By the third episode, you'll finally kind of get what's going on and who people are even if you don't know their names.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AlmostAGhost said:

Better Call Saul is hands down my favorite ever attorney show. When Giancarlo Esposito enters it again, his role is much more flushed out and he brings so much to it. 

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, WatchOutForSnakes said:

Better Call Saul is hands down my favorite ever attorney show. When Giancarlo Esposito enters it again, his role is much more flushed out and he brings so much to it. 

FLUSHED OUT 😍

• Like 1
  • Haha 1