🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays Week 49 Preview (Polly Darton's 2nd Pick)

Man I haven't been able to comment but I like reading everyone's comments and watching the picks (I just finished one show, and start rehearsals on two different shows today). 

In other words, why don't we have a pick yet

• Like 6

OK - so I think it's time we did one of my favorite movies of all time.

002-meet-me-in-st-louis-theredlist.jpg

It's Judy's best movie besides Wizard of Oz, it has crazy famous music, and a fantastic Halloween sequence.

You guys will have to rent it, but I am totally willing to rent it and Rabbit it with anyone who doesn't want to pay for it. Maybe Sunday night?

• Like 9

I know nothing about this movie besides what's on that poster I just looked at

Great choice!  :)

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, AlmostAGhost said:

I know nothing about this movie besides what's on that poster I just looked at

Great choice!  :)

A lot of you guys will be surprised at how much of the music you know in this - especially since it is where one of the biggest Christmas Songs of all time originates.

Also - despite what the poster makes it seem like... it's in color (not colorized) and is gorgeous to look at.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, PollyDarton said:

A lot of you guys will be surprised at how much of the music you know in this - especially since it is where one of the biggest Christmas Songs of all time originates.

Also - despite what the poster makes it seem like... it's in color (not colorized) and is gorgeous to look at.

Unless there's another Christmas song in this, that's about the only thing I know about this movie.

5 minutes ago, grudlian. said:

Unless there's another Christmas song in this, that's about the only thing I know about this movie.

It often gets lumped in as a Christmas movie (a coworker of mine always says "It's a St. Louis Christmas Tradition!") but all 4 seasons are represented.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, PollyDarton said:

It often gets lumped in as a Christmas movie (a coworker of mine always says "It's a St. Louis Christmas Tradition!") but all 4 seasons are represented.

Yeah. I definitely thought this was a Christmas movie. But it's probably like It's A Wonderful Life which approximately 40 minutes of Christmas and every one considers it a Christmas movie.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PollyDarton said:

OK - so I think it's time we did one of my favorite movies of all time.

002-meet-me-in-st-louis-theredlist.jpg

It's Judy's best movie besides Wizard of Oz, it has crazy famous music, and a fantastic Halloween sequence.

You guys will have to rent it, but I am totally willing to rent it and Rabbit it with anyone who doesn't want to pay for it. Maybe Sunday night?

I have seen this before but it’s been years.

1 hour ago, grudlian. said:

Yeah. I definitely thought this was a Christmas movie. But it's probably like It's A Wonderful Life which approximately 40 minutes of Christmas and every one considers it a Christmas movie.

Yeah - that's pretty true. If you think about it, It's a Wonderful Life is barely a Christmas Movie at all... White Christmas, too. Besides the song White Christmas closing out the movie, there is ZERO Christmas in that movie. It's A Wonderful Life also ends at Christmas which I guess is why it's an X-mas staple.

This one has a pretty substantial Christmas sequence, it's true, but I love the Halloween segment just as much... I don't think people think of that as often.

It's also filled with Edwardian nostalgia that a lot of movies had between the 40s and the 60s. Kind of how we are filled with nostalgia about the 80s?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, grudlian. said:

I don’t know, though. Even if Christmas isn’t essential to the plot, I do think it’s crucial to its impact. I just don’t think It’s A Wonderful Life would work as well if it were set at any other time of the year.

• Like 2

I know George loses the hearing in his ear in the winter and isn’t the romance between George and Mary set around the new year? But the climax for sure takes place at Christmas 

The Wizard of Oz has almost become a Christmas movie, too, because it is so often aired on TV during the holidays, but I think that's because it's a great family movie that everyone can enjoy. Otherwise, basically any movie that has Christmas at any time in its plot seems to become a "Christmas movie."

BTW, the better of the Jimmy Stewart Christmas Movies is easily The Shop Around the Corner. Love, love, LOVE that one. 

• Like 5

I first thought this movie was a sequel when Dolly Levi went around handing out her business cards at the World's Fair.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cameron H. said:

I don’t know, though. Even if Christmas isn’t essential to the plot, I do think it’s crucial to its impact. I just don’t think It’s A Wonderful Life would work as well if it were set at any other time of the year.

This is the same judgement I use to discredit Wham!'s Last Christmas as a Christmas song. Literally the only thing that song has to do with Christmas is the word Christmas. Change it to birthday or Valentine's or Arbor Day and works just as well, therefore not a Christmas song.

On an unrelated note this was on my list of "Christmas movies" to watch last year but didn't get around to it. In fact I forgot about it. Look forward to getting the holiday season started early.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Cam Bert said:

This is the same judgement I use to discredit Wham!'s Last Christmas as a Christmas song. Literally the only thing that song has to do with Christmas is the word Christmas. Change it to birthday or Valentine's or Arbor Day and works just as well, therefore not a Christmas song.

On an unrelated note this was on my list of "Christmas movies" to watch last year but didn't get around to it. In fact I forgot about it. Look forward to getting the holiday season started early.

Sounds like you're one of those people who think Die Hard isn't a Christmas movie.  How dare you! 🙂

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Cam Bert said:

Also, Last Christmas was written solely to rehabilitate George Michael's image.  He was shown as a cheating bastard in Careless Whisper so they had to do something.

• Like 3

Cool pick! Haven’t seen this in forever and I’m excited to watch it in HD for the first time. I’ve read her red dress was velvet and maybe now I can finally see some texture 😂 

• Like 3

I'm not really arguing It's A Wonderful Life isn't a Christmas movie. I'm just using it as an example of a Christmas movie that doesn't spend a lot of time at Christmas.

2 hours ago, Cam Bert said:

There is a Harry Nilsson song called Remember (Christmas) that literally never mentions Christmas. The story I've read is they added (Christmas) to a song titled Remember because that helps sales.

• Like 4

Has anyone else noticed that "My Favorite Things" from The Sound Of Music has been playing everywhere at Christmas? That song is not about Christmas in any way... except that it lists material things that could possibly be interpreted as a Christmas list? Kind of Bizarre.

BTW- All apologies for so much Christmas talk in October. The season is getting earlier and earlier.

• Like 4

I've been so busy lately that I've barely had time to keep up with HDTGM, let alone Musical Mondays, but I'll tag in for this even though it's waaaaaay too early for the holidays. My wife [Borat voice] loves this movie but I've never seen it. She'll be floored when I tell her I want to watch it. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, PollyDarton said:

Has anyone else noticed that "My Favorite Things" from The Sound Of Music has been playing everywhere at Christmas? That song is not about Christmas in any way... except that it lists material things that could possibly be interpreted as a Christmas list? Kind of Bizarre.

BTW- All apologies for so much Christmas talk in October. The season is getting earlier and earlier.

No need to apologize! If we had rank genres of music I would put Christmas squarely at the top. There is just not enough time in December to listen to and talk about it all!

• Like 1