🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

Episode 133 - Nap Time

“Day care is wild though, let me tell ya!” It’s time to put down a bunch of one-year-olds for a nap and talk with Geth. Married young and facing a divorce in her 20s, this week's caller is ready to have some fun. Geth’s advice: She has plenty of time to make mistakes.

Dear Chris,

I cannot tell you how much I love listening in on the beauty, respect, and curiosity with which you approach your guests. I was so excited to hear that you would soon be a guest on The Hilarious World Of Depression - first from John  Moe, and today from you. You are both open books, open souls, and open ears. But honestly, I was a little disappointed to hear that the examples you gave of others who have appeared on THWOD were all men, even though it seems like his guests have reflected the broad spectrum of gender and have definitely included some amazing and very funny women. But I was even more disappointed to hear that pitch followed by an ad for Cheryl Sandberg's new podcast "that explores the gender bias found in unexpected places," because the first minute of Episode 133 of Beautiful/Anon was very much an unexpected place for me. 

Really and truly, I don't want this to sound snarky. It's the kind of observation that I would appreciate. And trust me, I have had to come face to face with my own white woman privilege even while I was pissed off about my lack of white male privilege. So please believe me when I say that I offer this up as an observation, not a criticism, because I have and will no doubt continue to need this kind of feedback myself. 

Truly, love your show. If I didn't work for a non-profit arts organization and have two kids in college right now (both of whom have inherited a whole lot of brain chemistry from their father and me - the good, the bad, the beautiful and the ugly), I would be all over your Patreon page, supporting Earwolf, etc. Soon, I promise. In the meantime, I hope you will read this in the context of love and support with which it is intended. 

Debra

(not sure if this is a public or private comment, but happy to talk in more depth off-line)

Sign in to follow this