🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 199 - A Night In Heaven: LIVE!

Tawny Newsome (Yo, Is This Racist?, Bajillion Dollar Propertie$) and Jen D’Angelo (Loosely Exactly Nicole) joins Paul and Jason to discuss the 1983 romance film A Night in Heaven. Recorded live from Largo at the Coronet in Los Angeles, they cover not knowing who is the main character, seeing a dude’s dick during one of the sex scenes, and kid businessman.

Subscribe to Unspooled with Paul Scheer and Amy Nicholson here: http://www.earwolf.com/show/unspooled/

Check out our new website over at www.hdtgminfo.com!

Check out new HDTGM merch over at https://www.teepubli…wdidthisgetmade

Where to Find Jason, June & Paul:

@PaulScheer on Instagram & Twitter

@Junediane on IG and @MsJuneDiane on Twitter

Jason is still not on Twitter

Ok so this is the only story I have related to male strippers aka That Time Gigi's Mom Got Kicked Out Of  Canadian Strip Club. 

So my mom grew up in Detroit. For those who don't know Detroit is literally just a bridge away from Windsor Canada where the drinking age is 19 instead of 21.  I don't remember when this took place but I'm assuming it happened before my mom and her friends were 21(so the mid 80's) because why else would you go to Windsor?

Somehow they ended up at a male strip club very drunk . This is where they encountered one of the ugliest male strippers known to man with what my mother described as " full meth face" and a mullet. He was also apparently cursed with a bit of a pancake ass . My mom's friend being very "kind" and also VERY inebriated took immense pity on this ugly stripper and felt it was her duty to give him a small smack on his ass (a VERY big no no) to help make him feel desired and appreciated.  As any person would  he did NOT take this as a compliment or a form of encouragement (because it's sexual harassment) and had them kicked out.

And that's how I learned you never ever touch a dancer (you sure as fuck don't kiss them), consent is everything, and meth will fuck your face up and should also be avoided at all costs. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Watching this crazy movie, it's actually shot pretty well, but the editing is terrible, and the writing doesn't help either.

I have to imagine the reason it's not available anywhere is the cost of licensing the music. In the first 30 minutes there are at least four major music cues. And I think there's a Letterman clip in there too.

• Like 6

We get a clue about the relationship between Slick and Rick when the security guard watching Slick's car commercial mentions that "Tony" says she is his buddy's girlfriend. Cut to Tony the NASA janitor guy, who is none other than Deney Terrio, host of Dance Fever at the time. 

Sure, John G. Avildsen directed Rocky and The Karate Kid (which is pretty much a retelling of the Rocky story), but he was also responsible for sapping the momentum from John Belushi's last film, Neighbors...and Cry Uncle, which is a far more disturbing film than A Night In Heaven.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, FrancisRizzo3 said:

...the editing is terrible...

The director was also the editor, heaping even more blame on his already full plate. I can only imagine the series of events that led to that.

Good point regarding the song licensing. The material that was written for the movie became huge hits long after the fact (and are not necessarily linked to this movie in the public mindset), so they were probably commissioned for dirt cheap. Bryan Adams was not yet "Bryan Adams" in 1983.

Jason barely lets anyone else talk in this ep

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FrancisRizzo3 said:

Watching this crazy movie, it's actually shot pretty well, but the editing is terrible, and the writing doesn't help either.

I have to imagine the reason it's not available anywhere is the cost of licensing the music. In the first 30 minutes there are at least four major music cues. And I think there's a Letterman clip in there too.

Yeah. There's a Letterman clip. Even Grizzly Man which was a recent, well known documentary from a well known filmmaker couldn't use its Letterman clip for the DVD release. If Grizzly Man didn't argue for rights for home media, A Night In Heaven definitely didn't. 

• Like 1

Genuine question that I think I know the answer to:

There's never been a strip club set up like Heaven right? Where the only dancer at the time just roams around the floor on the same level as the patrons? I know some strip clubs have dancers work the floor while others are on a stage but this set up seems awfully dangerous for the performers. 

• Like 1

I don't know if it's discussed, but Andy Garcia makes a very early appearance in the film playing a bartender! I couldn't recall ever seeing him in this movie because his part might have been reduced, but could anyone post a picture of him from this movie?

• Like 2

you only see side / back of his head; Slick talks to him

• Like 1

Someone at work is playing the song Heaven on spotify and I'm dying right now.

• Like 4

This movie had so many characters that took one step on a story arc and then just stopped right there.  The one I am most interested in though is Josephine who is an Artificial Intelligence????  At the very beginning of the movie when Whitney is finishing up his his night shift (why does a rocket designer need to work the night shift?) his little terminal screen pops up the question "Prior to 08:00 shut down, would you like access to Computer Games?".  That reads like an automated script not something a person would say.  But rather than just hitting the 'N' key Whitney replies by typing "Not tonight, Josephine".  So is Josephine a human who speaks like a robot?  Or did this movie give us a tiny glimpse at NASA's secret AI program which has been running since the early 80s?

On a sincere note the recumbent bike ride past the Saturn V rocket makes me want to recommend the US Space and Rocket Center in Huntsville, AL for anyone that has a chance to visit.  They have built a museum around the Saturn V rocket there and I think it has to be one of the most impressive displays in the country.  Unfortunately Huntsville is not a place you randomly pass through but if you happen to get a chance to see it take it.

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, ChunkStyle said:

(why does a rocket designer need to work the night shift?)

And I guess there isn't a day shift worker in his department, since he appears to shut off the mainframe on his way out of his office.

• Like 3

I think my favorite line the MC says is "make way for the latecomers, it's never too late to cum!" I absolutely lost it at that line.

Also, does anyone know what the MC says at the end of his 10 cents a dance line? I hear "and for 10 cents a dance, you can paw, you can claw, you can stick your fingers in their..." and I just can't quite hear what comes next. I'm not entirely sure I want to know, but I'm curious so I was just wondering if anyone was able to make it out.

7 minutes ago, ad-jak said:

I think my favorite line the MC says is "make way for the latecomers, it's never too late to cum!" I absolutely lost it at that line.

Also, does anyone know what the MC says at the end of his 10 cents a dance line? I hear "and for 10 cents a dance, you can paw, you can claw, you can stick your fingers in their..." and I just can't quite hear what comes next. I'm not entirely sure I want to know, but I'm curious so I was just wondering if anyone was able to make it out.

Pants, probably

• Like 1

Legit I think this episode will go down as one of the greats. The amount of time spent on the beginning of the film had me in tears and battles Sleepaway Camp for funniest time spent on the first scene of the film! Tawney is an amazing All-Star guest and I hope y'all bring her back more if June can't make it! Or hell even if June can make it!

• Like 8

23 minutes ago, AlmostAGhost said:

Pants, probably

It's definitely not pants, that much I can tell. I just brought the movie up again and it almost sounds like cock .. something. There's definitely two words there, but I can't for the life of me figure it out

1 minute ago, ad-jak said:

It's definitely not pants, that much I can tell. I just brought the movie up again and it almost sounds like cock .. something. There's definitely two words there, but I can't for the life of me figure it out

I don't remember the line, I was just going by the poetry haha.

You're right though, they'd probably not go with the appropriate rhyme there and instead some other random word.

3 minutes ago, ad-jak said:

Cargo pants?? Carpet bags??? I've re-listened to it more times than I care to and it's still a mystery.

6 minutes ago, Crummy Scrimmage said:

Cargo pants?? Carpet bags??? I've re-listened to it more times than I care to and it's still a mystery.

It really is a mystery, it's starting to drive me mad a bit lol. I pulled it up once again and I think maybe he's crotches, but emphasizing it weird so it sounds like two words? Like is he saying ca-rotches?

Just now, ad-jak said:

It really is a mystery, it's starting to drive me mad a bit lol. I pulled it up once again and I think maybe he's crotches, but emphasizing it weird so it sounds like two words? Like is he saying ca-rotches?

Well, he *does* deliver the line like a coked-up Paul Lynde, so ca-rotches is possible. My wife -- very confidently -- claims he says "you can put your face in their cock bags" 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I have things to say about that scene at the art show. First off, what kind of art show is this? A student art show at the college? If not that, why is Rick even there? If it is a student art show, why would Lesley Ann's sister want to come to it? And what about the guys at the beginning of that scene who say "It's important to go to these events"? Why is it important? What is this event?

But what really struck me about the art show scene was how touchy feeling Lesley Ann's husband is with her sister and her with him. Patsy plays with his tie, he puts his arm around her, they lean into each other. They totally look like people who are having an affair. And that wouldn't have been out of place in this movie!

• Like 6

I am super confused about why Slick was in the shower in Lesley Ann's hotel room at the end. Did Rick invite her there so that Lesley Ann would find them together and it would be an easy way to break it off? Has he even gotten his A in that speech class yet? Or is he just really stupid and decided to invite his fuck buddy over for a romp in a hotel room instead of at his trailer park?

• Like 4

Hey guys. I'm a huge fan of the show. I haven't posted for a long while and I hate to return to the forum to criticize the show but I want to assure everyone that I do it out of pure love for the show and our beloved gang!

I'm a huge fan of Jason, and I usually don't mind—in fact, I enjoy—his energy. But I have to say, I found him a bit overwhelming in this one, to the point that might make this ep. hard to revisit. I really wish he'd left some more space for the guests to participate... I also felt there were a bit too many clips (I think Paul felt it too). That said, I do get why. I too would want to rewatch this madness with a nice group of friends because the movie was perfect for the podcast! The opening (bike) scene together with the skiff scene were among the most hilarious things ever to grace the show!

Love <3