🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Episode 76 — Live from Sklarbro Country!

Saturday Night Live is such an institution that it's hard to know which myths are true. Enter legendary cast member Laraine Newman who joins us on Sklarbro Country to show off her comedy hipness, delight us with her stories from New York, and suffer through a split scrotum with us. Plus we have a guest who combines our love of athletics and law: Gary Less, publicist for Joseph Amendola, lawyer for Jerry Sandusky. Now go punch a waterfall, but check before you put on your waterfall punching gloves!

Sounds like the shores of Sklarbro Country have been shaken by the force of GELMANIA. The shores will never be the same.

Seriously though, Laraine Newman was fantastic. Her stories were great.

How has Philly not pooped the glove? We've had people purposefully vomit on children, get tazed on the field, and all sorts of other acts, yet we've never pooped the glove.

2 things:
1) The interview with Laraine was just awesome. Loved getting to hear about some of the lore. Pretty cool thing was when I was telling my mother about the interview, she just lit up & made the comment that those were the best years of SNL & started naming off some of the other folks who were on the show in that era. I think her pizza & SNL dates with my dad and their friends easily put that in the 'sentimental times' category. Also, it's pretty cool that someone who was relevant to her around the same age that I am, so many years later, is just rad.

2) Poop the Glove. It's going into the lexicon. Never forget.

Thanks for the Sacramento shout out. We loved the show and thanks for hanging out afterwards. Combo plate and photos with the brothers. . .what a way to ring in the New Year.

[attachment=12566,335]

Sorry guys but I just couldn't make it through that interview with Laraine. It was like it was never going to end. The incessant drooling by Jason and Randy gave me a queasy stomach and I thought I was going to throw up. This tradition of trying to create this world where every guest is not only the funniest person EVER but would also hand you their kidneys,lungs, and heart cuz you all love each other so much is just, well, poor interviewing. I love my podcasts and this has been one of my favorites but another strokefest like that and am going to have to cut you from my list. I love Bret Gelman.. but the thought of fast forwarding and hearing one more syllable of that interview was too big a risk. Keep your zippers up and just talk to people when you interview them.. don't try and cajole them to putting Sklarbro Country into their wills.

I don't think that the interview was a total ego stroke fest, @ChristopherBlum. Sure, the guys did make it known that Laraine was somewhat of a hero for them, but I don't think they went overboard at all. Maybe SNL lore isn't your bag but from just a historical side of comedy, I know I personally found it quite interesting (and I've probably watched a total of 2 episodes in my entire life). Sometimes there can be a fine line between making guests feel comfortable and gushing too much, but I don't think they passed that line at all.

(And the wills thing, it's a sponsorship that they have incorporated into the show. Which they mention in the show. Do what you gotta do to make something, especially when they're putting it out there for free to listen to.)

Don't poop the glove, Christopher.

All said in love from the country, Jenny

Sign in to follow this