🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays Week 50 Preview (The Triple Lindy's 2nd Pick)

While we're waiting on Triple Lindy, I'd like to remind everyone that the musical (so it's tangentially related) television series Crazy Ex-Girlfriend back.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grudlian. said:

While we're waiting on Triple Lindy, I'd like to remind everyone that the musical (so it's tangentially related) television series Crazy Ex-Girlfriend back.

That was an excellent recommendation! I just finished catching up on seasons 1-3 on Netflix. 

• Like 1

I still need to finish season 3. The second hand embarrassment was beginning to be too much for me lol.

20 minutes ago, taylorannephoto said:

I still need to finish season 3. The second hand embarrassment was beginning to be too much for me lol.

Yeah. It's maybe the only show that has made me literally gasp at how uncomfortable things get.

1 minute ago, grudlian. said:

Yeah. It's maybe the only show that has made me literally gasp at how uncomfortable things get.

Seasons 1 and 2 were great at turning those moments into comedy and song, but then season 3 got reeeaaallll and now those moments don't feel as funny anymore. Of course I think that's what makes the show so great. All of these things that were in her head as not being such a big deal are now being seen from the outside and you're like, "Woah..." Holy hell it gets hard to watch though lol.

11 minutes ago, taylorannephoto said:

Seasons 1 and 2 were great at turning those moments into comedy and song, but then season 3 got reeeaaallll and now those moments don't feel as funny anymore. Of course I think that's what makes the show so great. All of these things that were in her head as not being such a big deal are now being seen from the outside and you're like, "Woah..." Holy hell it gets hard to watch though lol.

Yep. Not sure how far you got into season 3 but there's one episode where ends very dark with literally no comedy. It's a natural progression but oof, this is uncomfortable to watch. 

11 minutes ago, grudlian. said:

Yep. Not sure how far you got into season 3 but there's one episode where ends very dark with literally no comedy. It's a natural progression but oof, this is uncomfortable to watch. 

I had to look it up on Netflix cause I couldn't even remember and I literally didn't even finish episode 3 before deciding I needed a break lol.

7 minutes ago, taylorannephoto said:

I had to look it up on Netflix cause I couldn't even remember and I literally didn't even finish episode 3 before deciding I needed a break lol.

I thought we might be taking anot the same episode but, no, it gets worse. 

9 minutes ago, grudlian. said:

I thought we might be taking anot the same episode but, no, it gets worse. 

Oof this is gonna be a rough watch lol. I'll save the rest of Great British Bake Off for after that so I can have a delightful palette cleanser.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, taylorannephoto said:

Oof this is gonna be a rough watch lol. I'll save the rest of Great British Bake Off for after that so I can have a delightful palette cleanser.

Mel-and-Sue-Jaffa-Cake-WEB.gif

• Like 1

OK ... I only had two goals for my pick this time around: I wanted to pick something that 1. I have never seen (I’m losing steam on the homestretch of my DLM challenge), and 2. is free somewhere on the internet.

First, although this film is not hailed as a triumph of musical cinema, its legacy upon the world is enduring. I remember this film from my History of Rock 'n' Roll class. It stars and features music from the likes of Little Richard, Fats Domino, The Platters, Eddie Cochran and others. When this movie premiered in Great Britain in 1956, it marked one of the first mainstream introductions of early rock ’n’ roll music to the British public. As such, many future rock legends who were part of the British Invasion of the 1960s cite this film as a major moment of inspiration on their ensuing careers. John Lennon and Paul McCartney, for example, tell stories of how they first bonded as musicians by playing their favorite tracks from the movie for each other. Then, in 1960, they formed the Beatles and the world was never the same.

Secondly, the star of the flick, Jayne Mansfield, is an underrated musical talent. This film plays up the idea that she is an “all looks, no talent” bombshell bimbo, but Mansfield only got started in movies after a fairly successful stint in Broadway musicals. She’s trained at both the piano and violin. Furthermore, she has become a sort of punk music icon. There are bands named after her and a several volumes of songs that reference her life and death.

I give you:

You can watch the whole thing here on YouTube.

• Like 9

6 minutes ago, Cinco DeNio said:

I've finished the show itself but I started the Masterclass and honestly I could watch Mary Berry cook stuff for the rest of my life.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Cinco DeNio said:

thanks for reminding me they are no longer on the show and neither is Tiny Butthole Mouth Mary Berry

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The_Triple_Lindy said:

OK ... I only had two goals for my pick this time around: I wanted to pick something that 1. I have never seen (I’m losing steam on the homestretch of my DLM challenge), and 2. is free somewhere on the internet.

First, although this film is not hailed as a triumph of musical cinema, its legacy upon the world is enduring. I remember this film from my History of Rock 'n' Roll class. It stars and features music from the likes of Little Richard, Fats Domino, The Platters, Eddie Cochran and others. When this movie premiered in Great Britain in 1956, it marked one of the first mainstream introductions of early rock ’n’ roll music to the British public. As such, many future rock legends who were part of the British Invasion of the 1960s cite this film as a major moment of inspiration on their ensuing careers. John Lennon and Paul McCartney, for example, tell stories of how they first bonded as musicians by playing their favorite tracks from the movie for each other. Then, in 1960, they formed the Beatles and the world was never the same.

Secondly, the star of the flick, Jayne Mansfield, is an underrated musical talent. This film plays up the idea that she is an “all looks, no talent” bombshell bimbo, but Mansfield only got started in movies after a fairly successful stint in Broadway musicals. She’s trained at both the piano and violin. Furthermore, she has become a sort of punk music icon. There are bands named after her and a several volumes of songs that reference her life and death.

I give you: 

You can watch the whole thing here on YouTube.

image.png

Oh this is going to be fun! 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, EvRobert said:

thanks for reminding me they are no longer on the show and neither is Tiny Butthole Mouth Mary Berry

I've never seen the show.  Just went looking for GIFs after Taylor's comment.

2 minutes ago, Cinco DeNio said:

I've never seen the show.  Just went looking for GIFs after Taylor's comment.

well that figures :D

• Haha 1

I am amused that on the poster it says 'Introducing the following Rock N Roll Stars' and then her foot blocks half the names. 

I have never heard of this, so I'm cautiously optimistic about it. I've also never seen CEG or GBB. I'm 0 for 3 today in this forum. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, taylorannephoto said:

I've finished the show itself but I started the Masterclass and honestly I could watch Mary Berry cook stuff for the rest of my life.

Mary Berry is such a delight. Everyone on the show (but Paul) was.  Honestly I'd watch Mary, Sue, or Mel go grocery shopping or any other mundane task because they are all pure sunshine in human form

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, SaraK said:

I am amused that on the poster it says 'Introducing the following Rock N Roll Stars' and then her foot blocks half the names. 

I have never heard of this, so I'm cautiously optimistic about it. I've also never seen CEG or GBB. I'm 0 for 3 today in this forum. 

Me either!

barney-stinson-high-five.gif

• Like 3

7 hours ago, grudlian. said:

I tried so hard to like CEG but I found the main character to be kind of awful in the first season and a half I watched . I just couldn't root for her. She's really manipulate it felt like and I just can't deal with second hand embarrassment.

• Like 1