🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Shannon

Celebrate #HDTGM200 !!!

No matter what podcast I'm listening to at the moment, even if I'm only halfway through whatever that might be, I always switch to the new HDTGM as soon as it shows up in my queue. 

Thanks for all the great stuff and for the weird, noble sacrifice of all those countless hours lost to strange, terrible movies. 

When my friend first introduced me to the show some 6 years ago, he prefaced it by saying something like, "When I first heard this, I thought 'this is like the height of what the podcast medium is for."

Concurred.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, tomspanks said:

How HDTGM fits into your weekly routine – I listen to the episode on my commutes and try not to burst into laughter on public transportation.

This has happened to me twice. The odd laugh every now and again sure but twice to the point of having to get off the train at the wrong stop because I look like a madman just cackling away. Once was the infamous Sleepaway Camp episode the second was Todd Glass's trying to identify U2 songs on "Are You Two Talking U2 to Me?"

• Like 8

Sorry got posted twice by accident so enjoy this gif!

Qb7fox.gif

• Like 8

2 hours ago, tomspanks said:

I love Paul’s anecdote about how he once tried to French kiss his mother.  If anyone remembers the episode, please let me know!

Ha! I actually just listened to this last night...

Reindeer Games, begins around 5:15

• Like 5

1 hour ago, KooterInaBrar said:

Thank you, new friend!

• Like 3

7 hours ago, KooterInaBrar said:

I need to find all the episodes that have  Paul's Childhood Moments because they are GOLD. I know that the Little Buddy one is from one of the Chicago shows . I think it's Striptease. Can you guys think about any other great Paul Childhood Moments? I still love that he and his mom watched Bratz together.

• Like 3

What was your first episode of HDTGM?

My first episode of HDTGM was Punisher: War Zone. Years after this movie's theatrical release, I was curious-enough to watch this gonzo action film. After doing so, I scoured the Internet for more information on it and stumbled upon the HDTGM episode with Patton Oswalt and director Lexi Alexander. I was hooked on this show--the first I have actually ever listened to--instantly. From there, both my wife and I started devouring all of the back episodes between the weeks when new episodes would appear. My wife, Amy, now listens to a wide range of podcasts (My Favorite Murder, James Bonding, The Dollup, Myths and Legends, Sordid Details, Do You Need A Ride?, etc, etc.), and her listening habits/fandom can be directly attributed back to HDTGM. When Patton Oswalt came to Powell's Books here in Portland to promote his book, Silver Screen Fiend, my wife and I asked him to sign a DVD copy of Punisher: War Zone (which he graciously did) and we thanked him for essentially introducing us to this wonderful podcast that has been a huge part of our lives.

Favorite catchphrase?

"Hello people of Earth." While "What's up, jerks" and What's it's mission?!?" are great catchphrases, Paul's "Hello people of Earth" will always be my favorite. This is going to sound cheesy, but Paul's introduction makes me feel, as a listener, included in on this wonderful thing only my fellow bad movie-loving misfits know about and enjoy.

A clip or moment that you'll always remember? (timestamps are nice )

The one moment from an episode that comes immediately to mind is from the Batman and Robin episode where Jessie Falcon does the imitation of the X-Men movie producer: "They will be on snowboards, claw fighting the entire way down."

The episode you revisit the most

I bring this episode up quite a bit, but hands-down my favorite is 88 Minutes. This episode is nothing but wall-to-wall jokes, laughter and spot-on insight into an insane (and insanely re-watchable) movie. Pete Holmes laughter is infectious, and his Al Pacino impression ("Give me your fuckin' phone, you cock sucker!") is absolutely amazing. This episode (much like this week's, Action Jackson) is so much fun to listen to.  It's one I definitely go back to when I need a comedy pick-me-up.

The movie that you loved or hated watching

Van Helsing. I both loved and hated this movie. I remember only watching the first couple of minutes of this movie when it first came out on home video and turning it off about 10 minutes in: the campy acting and trite action movie plot were too much for me at the time. Thankfully, when it was announced for HDTGM, I watched it from beginning to end with my wife, who was absolutely giddy at the film's sheer a awfulness. Seeing her enjoy the insane plot contrivances, blistering CGI and over-the-top hammy acting made watching this film so much fun. My wife's pretty much the best bad movie watching partner in the world.

How HDTGM fits into your weekly routine

I have Fridays off from work, which is when new episode and minisodes usually land. While I'm straightening up the house, doing laundry and generally getting shit done, HDTGM is beaming either from my TV or through my earbuds. When there is a particular movie I really want to comment on, I'll sit down and take the time to craft observations I hope Paul, June, Jason, and the message board will hopefully find entertaining, funny and not a complete waste of their time.

What the show has meant to you after all these years or any other sappy stuff 

This is going to sound sappy as all get out, but HDTGM is like family to my wife and me. We've spent seven years listening to this show, and it never fails to entertain us or lift our spirits when we're down.

Not to give away to much of the store, but I suffer from depression (anxiety, agoraphobia, panic attacks, etc) and I've been slowly learning how to positively navigate my way through it all. HDTGM plays a huge part in helping me tackle my depression. When I lost my sister in 2014, and my mom was diagnosed with cancer a year ago (she's recovering now), I'd listen to old episode of HDTGM to get me through. I don't know Paul, Jason or June personally, but I love, admire and respect them as if I did. That old cliche about people you'd want to get a beer with? It totally applies here. This show has been there for me when I needed it most, helping me to realize the world is a great place with wonderful, talented and like-minded people in it.

Our fellow fans on the message board are an absolutely delightful and intelligent group of compatriots, and my wife and I look forward to their hilarious insights and observations each week. Thankfully, there's no troll-like shittiness there: just people who love bad movie as much as my we do. HDTGM means quite a bit to us. If the show ever makes it's way up to Portland, there will be two goofy fans up here waiting to welcome you guys with open arms (arms we promise not to utilize to grab the mic during the audience Q & A).

Thank you Paul, Jason, June, the crew, and the message board for making HDTGM one of the absolute best things in the world!

• Like 9

I wish I could remember what the first episode of HDTGM I listened to was. It might be BATMAN AND ROBIN. I know I posted on social media excited when hey did DAREDEVIL (shut up, I like comic book movies) so it was definitely before that. 

I think the first time I commented on the forums was CONFESSIONS OF A MARRIAGE COUNSELOR. 

I think it's more fun now that I post on the forums. It's interactive and whatever! 

I don't know about favorites. I would often listen to old episodes when I was anxious. And I said so on the forums and when the paywall went up other forum posters we're like offering me their saved episodes on the DL which was very sweet. (After I had posted about a recent hospitalization for PTSD.)  I thought it was kind of funny. "Are you okay? Do you want my copy of the BLOODSPORT episode?"

I don't know about favorite catch phrases either. I like Paul's Blockbuster stories and Jason's Harry Potter references (especially since I work in children's publishing). I do find myself saying things like "that was wild" (tm Nicole Byer), "so upsetting" and "what is happening right now?". 

It made me wonder if other regular listeners have started using HDTGM verbiage. 

I even saw a friend who lives in Italy mention Stellar Skateboard. She didn't know about the podcast but had seen that name on Wikipedia and adopted it. (As anyone I am friends with would IMMEDIATELY do.) 

I was pleased. 

• Like 8

The movie that could have lead the team to re-think if this process was worth it... The Last Airbender. Luckily for us they persevered. 

Favorite catchphrase? 

Nothing will ever beat "What's its Mission." 

A clip or moment that you'll always remember?

This is selfish choice, but I was lucky enough to be noticed by Paul for my Betty White Holding an Urn tee shirt. I even got to ask a great question during Superman IV episode (ep 178; 1:19:37) But one that is more general... I still love the team trying to break down the cold open of Sleepaway Camp (ep 48; 9:17)

It was Devil's Advocate till I lost it. Please re-release that one!!!! "My acting secret is that I have downs"

Loved watching "No Holds Barred" and hated watching "Gooby"

Any kind of commuting I do (I live in NYC; so a lot of public transportation) I will listen to HDTGM. It's just the perfect way to pass the time. 

This show has given me so much joy in my life. The amount of bullshit that we are dealing with in this climate is unfathomable, but Paul, June and Jason help me and others forget all about that for a few hours. I still can't wrap my head around the fact that this is a free podcast where the hosts must dedicate an extreme amount of time out of their work and personal life... just to make us idiots laugh. I guess this is why I have always tried to weigh-in on the message boards, worked on the Howdies, or assist when a movie can't be found (Rad, Freejack, cutting down Yes, Giorgio.) I will always try to do anything to help alleviate stress and make the podcast better for the team and fans. I know it doesn't go unnoticed by Paul, June and Jason. In fact, I was very blessed to have met Jason at a bar once and told him how much the podcast meant to me. He couldn't have been more kind and sincere with his thanks. The trio understand that they have a strong support system in their fans and never phone it in. Thank you Paul, June and Jason. Please know that your efforts in suffering through some really horrible films, does not go unnoticed. 

• Like 6

Twilight Breaking Dawn, Pt. 1. The friend I made a secret pact with to love/hate-watch all the movies in the theater pointed me at this episode. They had me at "Not-Tom-Skerritt." 

Favorite catchphrase?

"This guy gets it" 

A clip or moment that you'll always remember? (timestamps are nice )

I traveled to Chicago from DC to see the "Striptease" show. June's nuanced take on the vulnerability of sex workers, and also the fact that Paul and Jason weren't even holding up their mics while she was talking made for an unexpectedly emotional memory for me from a show where people scream over each other (to my delight) more often than not. I know it wasn't popular with a lot of people, but in the audience it went over huge. 

Also, this isn't one particular moment but anytime Paul says something that makes the other hosts basically stop the podcast--I love it.

Definitely "Solarbabies." I feel like I can admit to you all that most nights I'm falling asleep to random parts of that episode. 

I can't believe I used the entirety of my time in the United first-class lounge watching "Ninja Terminator." That was brutal. Probably the most unexpected "I love this" movie was "Death Spa." 

Every other Thursday/Friday night I'm usually watching an HDTGM movie. My favorite way to listen is on the 2-hour trip to visit my parents in the country on some Saturday mornings; I love to have that stretch of road and nothing to interrupt the podcast. 

HDTGM is my main podcast. I listen to a lot, but it's the one I totally fangirl for the most. It is very sappy to say, but the two live shows I've been to were so incredibly affirming. I'm taking my boyfriend this weekend to a live show and I'm more emotionally invested in this than him meeting my parents. 

Also the forums rock. Truly one of the nicest, smartest places on the internet. 😍

• Like 11

On 10/26/2018 at 2:39 PM, tomspanks said:

How HDTGM fits into your weekly routine – I listen to the episode on my commutes and try not to burst into laughter on public transportation.

Omg I listen at work always and my coworkers will always look at me whenever I lose it and have to cover my mouth because I'm genuinely laughing so hard that I cry. I usually then take off my headphones and one of them will go, "What movie are they covering?" because they just KNOW it's gotta be HDTGM that makes me laugh that hard.

• Like 8

What was your first episode of HDTGM?

I found HDTGM in 2016 through another podcast while I was working at a soul crushing office job. I started at the beginning with Burlesque and I managed to binge through the entire catalogue in maybe 3 months. I had never even heard of the gang before listening.

Favorite catchphrase?

I love What’s up Jerks! I yell it in my car.

I cannot remember the episode but I died laughing in my chair when Jason revealed that clowns plagued his neighborhood growing up.

Face off and Con Air... family favorites before and even better now!

I did not enjoy Free Jacked, but I’ve been pretty lucky finding bad movies I actually enjoy.

I see a lot of hate for Ninja Terminator here but I friggin had a ball watching that movie! I thought there was something incredibly entertaining watching a movie made of stock footage for other movies.

I’ve discovered an entire genre of podcasts through HDTGM. Through this show I found Spontaneanation and many comedians that I would have never found otherwise. 

And thank you so much Paul for picking my comment on the Wraith, I know I won nothing.

Like I mentioned before my old office job was killing me but because of this show I felt like I spent my days there with friends. I quit that job, I’m in a much better place now and I’ll bring you guys wherever I go. Thank you so much gang for being there and it was a dream come true to see you live in Denver! It’s honestly my dream to be a guest on the show, but we’ll see where the next 200 take us :)

Oh and as for the next 200 I will shamelessly plug The Core, PS I Love You and The Reign of Fire for future episodes ;)

• Like 6

Sorry for the late post dudes and dames, but I wanted to give myself enough time to think about this sort of thing. ONWARD!

I don't quite remember the first episode I listened to, but I know it was very early because I made the conscious decision to go back and revisit all the ones I hadn't listened to and the only one I had missed was 'Burlesque.' I am old, but not as old as possible.

Favorite catchphrase?

"WHAT'S UP JERKS?!" is something that runs through my head QUITE FREQUENTLY. I love it. And "what's it's mission?!?!" crippled me with laughter when I heard it the first time. I think I was at the gym. People must have thought I was going into cardiac arrest. I just stopped breathing I was laughing so hard.

Trying to suss-out what happened during 'Sleepaway Camp' will always be hilarious to me. I remember watching that movie and enjoying the insanity of it but not really being bothered by the total lack of logic. Listening to the episode though, it hit me pretty hard how it makes no fucking sense, and hearing the hosts trying to make sense of its madness both made me laugh and question reality.

Honestly, I don't revisit episodes much. I have so many things to listen to or watch, I don't have time to revisit old episodes of anything. If I have run out of podcasts in my queue, I'm listening to an audiobook or some prog metal band from Finland or something. 

Liked: Con-Air, Sleepaway Camp, The Room, Action Jackson, Miami Connection, and Time Cop are all stand-outs to me. Any time an insane movie moment can get Jason to become enthusiastic and gleeful, I am all about it. Also, Running Man and Hercules in New York because Schwarzenegger. Johnny Mnemonic because Keanu.

The experience watching 'Nothing But Trouble' was particularly unpleasent, both because it's fucking gross and because I have a lot of affection for Dan Aykroyd. Nothing makes you feel uncomfortable like watching someone you enjoy do something disgusting. 'After Earth' was both nonsensical and fucking boring. 'Night in Heaven' was a recent entry in the "this is uncomfortable" canon.

I usually like to listen to this at night after I get home from work or running errands. I need something calming in my brain after dealing with, you know... people all day, and this hilarious bit of cinephilia podcasting helps me process the end of the night.

I love movies and I love podcasts. SHOCKING, I know, right? But this podcast, along with you wonderful folks on the forums, have helped educate me about how to talk in an auditory medium about a visual medium. It's not exactly easy. Like a lot of people posting here, my mental health issues have been rather rampant in my own brain throughout the timespan I have been posting here, so it is an absolute joy to find a place on the internet that is positive and encouraging, that increases me knowledge of film, makes me a more discerning film viewer, and gives me something to smile about every time I come here. Thank you all.

Pertaining to that, I have recently done guest spots on several film podcasts I admire (if any of you follow me on Twitter, you are probably aware of my incessant posting about them) and I think my ability to converse on those podcasts is directly related to how I am able to converse with YOU PEOPLE and, from listening to HDTGM proper, how to keep things entertaining when TALKING about a visual medium.  Spiraling from those podcast appearances, I recently had the opportunity and privilege to perform/speak at an event at the Alamo Draft House in Brooklyn called Kevin Geeks Out. It's a monthly show of a rotating subject and, for October, it was shock rock. I chose to discuss my love for Rob Zombie and his film 'The Lords of Salem,' an act I would not have had the confidence to do without the film discussion bootcamp that was HDTGM and the boards. THANK YOUS WONDERFUL PEOPLE.

rob on screen.jpg

• Like 6

Hello HDTGM fans and friends. I made an account to share my favourite moment; the total bliss of June's vindication during the Howard the Duck episode when they finally found the scene where howard tried to fly, also maybe the only F bomb i recall her dropping.

Runner up is Jasons's "give me that baby" during another live show.

Best of luck for the next 200, kudos to Paul for doing all the heavy lifting of the advertisement voice overs,.love from Victoria BC

Apologies for not following the set up shannin laid out

Congratulations on 400 episodes! HDTGM is balm for my ears these days--it's what I listen to when the world is just too dark and I need to wrap myself in the soothing sounds of Jason saying WHAT IS HAPPENING?!! and June giving sleazy directors a much-deserved takedown for constantly ogling young actresses with the camera. And Paul reading those second opinions with SO much gravitas. My biggest bummer these days is that I've finally made it all the way through the entire Stitcher catalog (I got a Stitcher Premium subscription just so I could listen to certain back episodes) and I have to wait a whole two weeks for every new episode.

Paul and June, I live in Tokyo! Recommendations for your December trip: Afuri for ramen, Akasaka Umaya for charcoal-grilled yakitori, Sushi Zanmai for affordable & high-quality sushi, the New York Bar at the top of the Park Hyatt for a drink with a view (go before 8 pm to avoid the $20 music charge), Team Lab: Borderless for kid-friendly awesomeness, Spa La Qua for an all-day hot spring chill-out (also kid-friendly, just be aware that tattoos aren't allowed, though they're usually okay as long as you cover them). Hit me up on Twitter @NewsfromNihon if you want more recommendations!

I guess better late than never.  Though I feel like my experience with the show is much more mundane enjoyment compared to the rest of you.  It really sounds like you guys built up a sense of community here that is touching.

• What was your first episode of HDTGM?

Almost certainly The Room or Birdemic.  I have other movie podcasts I listened to and to some degree I just enjoy hearing people talk about movies not that I've even watched, but the type of movies that I would watch.  And while I had other more serious-minded film-based podcasts, I was noticing I was going to screenings of various midnight movie type of movies and that wasn't being represented in my podcasting listening.  Weirdly, while I knew about The Room and Birdemic (looking back at my letterboxd account, that means I must have started listening around the first half of 2013), I had never seen either.  So, I'm pretty sure that's what I was searching for when looking for a podcast to fill that itching niche.

• Favorite catchphrase?

I'm not a big catchphrase person, but I guess...

Hello People of Earth!

Ladies, still single!

I'm still not on Twitter, Paul. (Being someone who has still never joined twitter to date, I derive some weird joy from hearing this line).

What is a Street Fighter?

• A clip or moment that you'll always remember? (timestamps are nice )

My memory resembles June's when it comes to the specifics of past episodes (though I remember they actually happened), so it's more like highlights for me.

The Room being shot simultaneously on 35mm and digital, and I believe it was Jason speculating two realities in which The Room existed, one the 35mm and one the digital one, and the only commonality in terms of actors between them was Tommy.  Or at least I think that happened.  Maybe I just imagined it because I've read one too many Steve Erickson novels - which is also why that possibility just stuck with my imagination.

All of Paul's sad childhood stories.

June being away for a month and rather than watch the movies, send in summaries of what she'd guess the movies are about (I remember Superman IV being pretty great).

Breaking down the Sleepaway Camp relations, because I went to watch it and thinking, I actually wouldn't have gotten this, and it totally seems like what teenagers would write in a horror movie.

And, oh god, the faberge eggs...

• The episode you revisit the most

I don't revisit episodes that often, but I know I listened to The Room episode before watching it.  Probably after watching.  And then when The Disaster Artist came out, again in preparation for that.

• How HDTGM fits into your weekly routine

So funny thing, going back to the Birdemic.  I listened to the podcast, laughed my ass off.  Watched the movie, by myself on a lazy Sunday afternoon... and was bored.  Yet, while watching it, I kept going, "I should be laughing at this.  This is the type of movie I normally enjoy (confirmed later when I watched Birdemic 2)." Bad movies take a certain mindset and environment to enjoy.  And I find myself wanting to watch them with other people which can't always be arranged.  I find this podcast, on a weekly basis, gives me a favorable viewing of a bad movie; a bad movie that I may not have seen before.  And it gives me a sense of how much enjoyment can I get out of these movies - you know, should I be able to arrange a movie night with friends to watch these things (which I don't get to do as frequent as I would like).

• The movie that you loved or hated watching

For the most part, I haven't started watching the movies in preparation or response of the podcast (see above).  I guess that might change now that I've joined the boards, so rather than save some of these to watch with friends some odd year out.  I think the podcast did make me go watch Sleepaway Camp, which I did enjoy the hell out of.  Outside of that, I already owned and loved The Miami Connection before the podcast covered it.  It's definitely one worth owning.  I think I didn't get to watch my episode of Hercules in New York until after the podcast episode.

Movies I've mentally logged to watch in the future with friends (this can take years to resolve for some):

intentionally campy fun: Action Jackson, The Last Dragon

unintentionally comical that should be up my alley: Hard Ticket to Hawaii, A Night in Heaven, The Apple (though I think that one's been on my radar for a while)

• What the show has meant to you after all these years or any other sappy stuff 

The lolz!  Yeah, unfortunately, I don't have any touching, sentimental stories the rest of you have, which have been touching to read.  It sounds like you guys have a tight knit, or at least a supportive community.

• Like 3

Yeah, I'm way late as usual, I'm almost never on top of this podcast because of how many other podcasts I listen to, and my tendency to bank episodes for long drives. But...

First episode I think must have been Birdemic because Weird Al was the guest (how cool would it be if they could get him back?). Must have been 2012-ish because I listened to it on a drive back from St Louis.  From there I ping-ponged around the back catalog based on how interesting the movie looked until I finally started enjoying the show for its hosts and filled in most of the rest of the gaps.

Clips: I think I've said this late on a Howdy post too, but in Junior where they pitch a sequel featuring an unholy Danny Devito baby spawned from Schwarzenegger. I want to see that animated so bad.

And maybe this violates the "always remember" because I didn't remember it from the first time, but I relistened to The Apple recently, and the whole run where they bust on Paul for not catching the obvious biblical metaphor is absolute gold. What I did remember from the first time was Andy Richter trying to recreate the BIM song.

Weekly routine: Like I said, I tend to bank HDTGM episodes for car trips because it really is one of the best driving podcasts out there. By now listening to them at work almost seems wrong, like they're too much of an event for that.

I almost never watch the movies for the podcast because I think I just don't have the attention span for watching movies very often, although I've been trying to fix that lately. I rented Skyscraper for the podcast on Friday because I had meant to see that in the theater due to heat wave induced boredom, but I never got around to it. Rhea's comment about checking her phone during the movie really spoke to me. I wouldn't recommend the movie either, but that episode was really enjoyable for me for the note-comparing experience. Still too afraid of the movie quality overall to do this on the reg though.

So with a small sample size to draw from, my favorite movie watched was Island of Dr Moreau which I saw in the theater back in the day and again on video for Rifftrax. I cheered in the middle of my old cubicle farm when Paul announced it as their next movie, as I was in the verge of suggesting it. So fascinatingly bonkers, and so sad that it's a rare Jason-less episode. "Guys...he's so smol."

Hated: Vampire's Kiss, which I watched in prep for the Now Hear This festival. Some good Cageness in there, but BOY was it ever uncomfortable. I had to stop it after his sexual assault of Alva and pick it up later.

On 11/2/2018 at 10:40 PM, bcbrick said:

Hello HDTGM fans and friends. I made an account to share my favourite moment; the total bliss of June's vindication during the Howard the Duck episode when they finally found the scene where howard tried to fly, also maybe the only F bomb i recall her dropping.

June's had a few other Precision F-strikes, notably in the "What's Its Misssion?" clip.

My favorite moments are when guests channel June when she isn't there, especially Jason.

I love this show and listen to it on my commute to work every week. I usually have my car's audio faded to the rear so I can tune out my children's music. This means that when I listen to the podcast, Paul, June, and Jason sound like they are riding in the back of my SUV, arguing over shitty movies. I love that they ride with me to work every day.

I have a good friend at work with a similar sense of humor that likes similar movies. He is a science fiction lover and has spoken at length about Highlander. I made the mistake of introducing him to this podcast with the Highlander episode, thinking that it would be a great window into this podcast. Instead, the discussion about the definition of a highlander made him so upset, that he has refused to listen to this podcast ever again.

TTP