🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×

Vampire in Brooklyn should definitely be added to the watch list, I mean it boggles the mind as to how this film could have come together. Wes Craven directs and Eddie Murphy stars as a Vampire we a really bad transylvanian accent. So bad it is good.

Eddie Murphy is the master of the career killing movie and magical comeback... i recently re-watched Beverley Hills Cop III.. and read on what a disaster it turned out because the script was poor and Murphy refused to play it as Axel.

This is definitely a weird sort of pivot point in Murphy's career, because after this it's all stuff like Dr Doolittle and Nutty Professor.

Angela Bassett's partner in this movie is named "Detective Justice".

I can't even.

• Like 2

This movie is so cringeworthy, but I must say watching this as a kid, the scene with the dead woman hanging from the building scared the ever loving crap out of me.

This movie is honestly just great and the fact that it starts a pre-Pluto Nash Eddie Murphy and is directed by the late Wes Craven is all you need to know to before checking out this movie. Also everything else about this movie is just wacky and great.

IMDb Description:

Maximillian is the only survivor from a race of vampires on a Caribbean Island, and as a vampire, he must find a mate to keep the line from ending. He knows that a child had been born to a woman who had a vampire father, and he searches for her in Brooklyn. Rita's mother, who has died in an asylum, was that woman and Rita has nightmares that she does not understand. Not knowing that she is part vampire, Max woos her and attempts to bring her to her blood sucking destiny. Even though Rita has strange dreams and actions, Justice, her partner, has feelings for her and does not want her involved with this stranger Max. But it is Rita who must decide her destiny.

Watched this recently and actually thought it was significantly better than I thought it would be. Eddie Murphy was having fun in multiple roles, him playing both italian and an evangelical preacher was pretty delightful.

I cant defend the names though. Whichever writer came up with the name Detective Justice I hope they were run out of town.

I think it was more a combo of Distinguished Gentleman, Beverly Hills Cop 3, and this all flopping back to back. I know by the time they were filming Beverly Hills Cop 3 he was already depressed.

Distinguished Gentleman was criminally underrated, its amazing how clearly it lays out the matter of fact corruption in D.C. and its actually incredibly prescient as well. Because i'm not sure how many times its happened subsequently but I do know there is a democrat running for a race in Texas with the same name as a recently deceased republican incumbent.

Sign in to follow this