🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

Listener Questions Special

Who is cooler?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Which podcast duo is the most dope?

• Amy and Paul
    • Amy AND Paul

In this week’s special episode, Paul & Amy are answering all of your questions, submitted by Unspooled’s Facebook group!  They reminisce about the origin story of the podcast, explain which documentaries they would add to the AFI 100, and tell each other their favorite movie snacks. Finally, they celebrate the first 25 episodes by unveiling their official ranking of every movie covered on Unspooled so far.

Next week’s movie is “Mr. Smith Goes To Washington,” so call the Unspooled voicemail line at 747-666-5824 with your best campaign speech for Jimmy Stewart (in a Jimmy Stewart voice!) Follow us on Twitter @Unspooled, get more info at unspooledpod.com, and don’t forget to rate, review & subscribe to us on Apple Podcasts.

• Like 3

Even being part of the Facebook group I have to admit I'm a lil salty that they get special treatment over other platforms. I had to significantly lessen my time on there because of shit and I got off of Twitter almost completely (save for deleting my account totally). I wish questions had been accepted from everywhere!

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, taylorannephoto said:

Even being part of the Facebook group I have to admit I'm a lil salty that they get special treatment over other platforms. I had to significantly lessen my time on there because of shit and I got off of Twitter almost completely (save for deleting my account totally). I wish questions had been accepted from everywhere!

You can always try posting on...reddit.  :wacko:

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, taylorannephoto said:

I know Amy and Paul read here or have said they do in the past. I suppose they might have read something if we had asked. Or maybe not. A lot of stuff that's come up here previously was asked on the episode. This is a long post too say "idk... maybe????"

Pennies From Heaven was on my short list for Musical Mondays though. It's getting a little more push now thanks to Amy.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, taylorannephoto said:

Yeah, it's kind of a bummer, but I get it. I think the difference is that the Facebook thing was a grassroots, fan-built group whereas the forums were provided for us - whether we use it or not. I think it must be very flattering to create something and then have a group of people build a community around it. Also, because more people are already on Facebook, it has the potential to reach more people. 

That being said, I prefer the forums, and I will never, ever, ever, create a Facebook account. Ever. 

Like, ever.

Ever, ever, ever.

• Like 5

Yea serious... how is Reddit getting a mention over us?

I don't mind the FB group, but as I've said, they talk about movies in general (someone once was like 'what's your favorite World War I movie' which... who cares or has one?  But still had a million replies.).  I prefer talking about these specific 100.

Also I mainly know your guys' Letterboxd lists, and my own, but it feels like Paul AND Amy's list was pretty different from ours, which was interesting.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, grudlian. said:

Pennies From Heaven was on my short list for Musical Mondays though. It's getting a little more push now thanks to Amy.

Awesome! Because when she mentioned it I was thinking I should really check it out.

I also agree with Robin Hood being on the list. I just watched it recently and it is just a lot of fun.

• Like 1

Just now, Cameron H. said:

Yeah, it's kind of a bummer, but I kind of get it. I think the difference is that the Facebook thing was a grassroots, fan-built, group whereas the forums were provided for us whether we use it or not. I think it must be very flattering to create something and then have a group of people build a community around it. Also, because more people are already on Facebook, it has the potential to reach more people.

That is very true and very fair, and everyone that is there is also super kind and tolerant of different opinions which is awesome! The creator, Kate, is one of the best mods that group could've gotten.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Cameron H. said:

Awesome! Because when she mentioned it I was thinking I should really check it out.

I also agree with Robin Hood being on the list. I just watched it recently and it is just a lot of fun.

I just thought it seemed similar to Singing Detective which we did recently helped knock it out of consideration. But I haven't seen it. So, maybe it's the similarities are just on the surface. 

• Like 1

For anyone interested, and to save people the trouble of looking up my list on Letterboxd, here's my list:

1. Psycho ★★★★★

2. Raiders of the Lost Ark ★★★★★

3. Lord of the Rings ★★★★★

4. ET ★★★★★

5. Singin' in the Rain ★★★★★

6. All About Eve ★★★★★

7. African Queen ★★★★★

8. Citizen Kane  ★★★★★

9. Double Indemnity ★★★★½

10. Wizard of Oz ★★★★

11. Platoon ★★★★

12. 2001 ★★★★

13. Taxi Driver ★★★★

14. Shawshank Redemption ★★★★

15. Bonnie & Clyde ★★★★

16. Apocalypse Now ★★★★

17. High Noon ★★★★

18. Duck Soup ★★★½

19. The Sixth Sense ★★★½

20. King Kong ★★★½

21. The French Connection ★★★½

22. Ben-Hur ★★★½

23. The General ★★★½

24. Swing Time ★★★

25. Titanic ★★★

Even writing that out I kind of want to move a couple of things around - lol 

I will say, if I did, it wouldn't be anything too drastic. Mostly within their own groupings. So I might shuffle the 5 star movies around, but I probably wouldn't bring a 3 star movie all the way up to the Top Ten or anything. 

ETA: Also anything from about 16-18 down, I wouldn't lose any sleep over if they were removed from the next iteration of this list. None of them are bad, but I'm kind of apathetic to them. I don't feel like they NEED to be there or anything.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, grudlian. said:

This has been on my watchlist forever!

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, tomspanks said:

This has been on my watchlist forever!

When it's my turn in six months, maybe I'll choose it!

• Like 3

Here's my incomplete list:

1.Citizen Kane 1941 ★★★★★

2.The General 1926 ★★★★★

3.Raiders of the Lost Ark 1981 ★★★★★

4.All About Eve 1950 ★★★★★

5.Singin’ in the Rain 1952 ★★★★★

6.Platoon 1986 ★★★★½

7.Bonnie and Clyde 1967 ★★★★

8.The Wizard of Oz 1939 ★★★★

9.The African Queen 1951 ★★★★

10.The Shawshank Redemption 1994 ★★★★

11.2001: A Space Odyssey 1968 ★★★½

12.Ben-Hur 1959 ★★★½

13.The French Connection 1971 ★★★½

14.Swing Time 1936 ★★★½

15.Taxi Driver 1976 ★★★

16.Duck Soup 1933 ★★★

17.King Kong 1933 ★★½

18.Titanic 1997 ★★½

• Like 3

Here's mine

1. 2001 (5 stars)
2. Lord Of The Rings (5)
3. Double Indemnity (5)
4. The Wizard Of Oz (5)
5. Duck Soup (5)
6. Taxi Driver (5)
7. All About Eve (4.5)
8. Psycho (4.5)
9. The Shawshank Redemption (4)
10. The General (4)
11. Ben-Hur (4)
12. Citizen Kane (4)
13. Raiders of the Lost Ark (4)
14. The Sixth Sense (4)
15. High Noon (4)
16.  E.T. (3.5)
17. King Kong (3.5)
18. African Queen (3.5)
19. Platoon (3.5)
20. Bonnie and Clyde (3.5)
21. The French Connection (3.5)
22. Singin' In The Rain (3)
23. Apocalypse Now (3)
24. Titanic (3)
25. Swing Time (2.5) 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, taylorannephoto said:

I'm still judging all of y'all for having Titanic SO LOW.

Still 75 movies to go!  Titanic might not....sink to the bottom.  Too soon?

• Like 7

1 hour ago, taylorannephoto said:

Well, there's also so many people in the FB group and lots of activity. I also think someone from the group (possibly Kate) asked if they'd do a Q&A.

Which is to say, IDK, maybe it would have helped to have at least created a thread where we posed questions for them to answer for the 25th episode. They can't answer questions we don't ask. And It's not like Paul doesn't read these forums.

ETA: Maybe something to bring up for the 50th episode, which I believe Paul and Amy are now contractually obligated by precedent to do another Q&A.

1 hour ago, AlmostAGhost said:

(someone once was like 'what's your favorite World War I movie' which... who cares or has one?  But still had a million replies.).

Did anyone choose a movie other than All Quiet On The Western Front or Paths Of Glory?

Guess I'll join in too

1. Psycho

2. Citizen Kane

3. 2001: A Space Odyssey

4. All About Eve

5. Raiders of the Lost Arc

6. Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Rings

7. Singing in the Rain

8. Wizard of Oz

9. Double Indemnity 

10. E.T.

11. Platoon 

12. High Noon

13. Apocalypse Now

14. Taxi Driver

15. The Shawshank Redemption

16. King Kong

17. The African Queen

18. Bonnie and Clyde

19. The French Connection

20. The General

21. Ben-Hur

22. Duck Soup

23. Swing Time

24. Titanic

25. The Sixth Sense

• Like 2

1 minute ago, grudlian. said:

Did anyone choose a movie other than All Quiet On The Western Front or Paths Of Glory?

Yea Paths of Glory won the poll.  Lawrence Of Arabia 2nd, and Wonder Woman 3rd. 

41 minutes ago, taylorannephoto said:

I'm still judging all of y'all for having Titanic SO LOW.

In my defense, 3-stars is still pretty good and I know for a fact there are at least three movies coming up that I’m going to rank below it.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, AlmostAGhost said:

Yea Paths of Glory won the poll.  Lawrence Of Arabia 2nd, and Wonder Woman 3rd. 

Wonder Woman third?

I mean, I try not to taste shame people but looooool

• Like 1

I will quickly share this story because I believe I've talked about this in the HDTGM forums before and don't want to repeat myself.

I have seen Ghostbuster way too many times, like uncountable number of times. I had it on VHS as a kid and would watch the movie all the time. Like any chance the TV was free I would put it in and watch it. If my parents wanted to go over to a friends house they'd bring the cassette and just plunk me down in a back room and I would watch it back to back until they wanted to go home. The first memories I have of going to a movie in the theaters was to see Ghostbusters 2 because I was so obsessed with the first. This is doubly odd because I would have been 6 which raises the question of how did the movie not freak me out at that age and why would my parents take a 6 year old to see Ghostbusters 2. Anyway, I watched the tape so much that I literally wore the tape out and my parents refused to replace it citing I had "seen it enough."

• Like 4