🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×

Not the worst movie EVER, but stupid, fun, and poorly acted. Note the ease with which they attain automatic weapons and how far away the ammunition is located. Also, at 55:24 a woman describes the plot. Maybe just watch the trailer instead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLMyInUPQ2g

• Like 4

"Chopping Mall" is required viewing for any fans of killer security robots and/or shopping malls. It's Dawn of the Dead meets Terminator nothing that makes either great. In a bygone era when Cinemax would have 80s schlock like Night of the Creeps or Motel Hell on the air, Chopping Mall right up there in its ineptitude yet sheer watchability. You know that it's of great pedigree in that it's produced by Roger Corman.......'s wife, Julie.

Available on youtube and a mere 14 five star reviews on Amazon, among them: "The movie is very great. The mall gets hit by lighting and then is when the robots start to take over.Some kids have a party in the mall in the night.one by one the kids start to die!!" Well said.

I will have to watch this, I remember seeing this VHS cover at the video store back in the day.

I watched this movie and i was entertained! But is it bad enough for HDTGM?

This was a great purchase as I love the horror movies that were spawned in the 80s in the wake of successes like Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm Street. The fact that these robots are the clunkiest looking robots ever made but they are able to traverse a multi-level shopping mall with ease is astounding. Plus the Scanners-esque head explosion of the slutty blonde made me and my friends all gasp as we were A) not expecting it and b, not expecting it to be so well done in comparison to the rest of the movie. Though my next favorite death is where one girl rams a security golf cart into one of the shorting out robots, gets electrocuted and just tips over dead.

Also, wasn't there another slasher set in a shopping mall after hours?

This is a wonderful movie. Highly recommended if you're looking for a fun 1980s slasher, with the added bonus of Killbots (the movie's alternate title). This is a Jim Wynorski film, so that should give you an idea of what you're in for.

Also, wasn't there another slasher set in a shopping mall after hours?

Only thing I can think of off the top of my head is Dawn Of The Dead, but that's not a slasher. There's Aerobicide/Killer workout, which feels very eighties, but not in a mall.

Yeah I saw it when I was pretty young so it's very vague to me, I just remember it was a slasher set in a mall. But then again there were LITERALLY hundreds of horror movies released in the 80s, so it's hard to trim down.

Watched this for the first time last night, have to say i wasn't expecting much if anything and what you get is pretty entertaining. Yes it is over the top and those robots, i dont know why they just dont try and electrocute people as son as they see them or shoot lasers at them all the time. But who cares it is a great bit of pop corn entertainment, turn on, tune out and laugh your ass off

I actually think whenever there isn't any action going on, it's pretty boring. But still a movie that's impossible to dislike.

• Like 1

Holy crap... my wife and I watched this a couple of nights ago. It was a rough week and we wanted a bad movie night. About halfway through it, we looked at each other and said at the same time "They HAVE to do this one!"

I remember there's an early scene of the girls having a sexy locker room clothes change after their shift at the mall pizza place and asking myself - what mall pizza place has a sexy locker room?

Also - their big plan to fight the killer metal robots is to throw Molotov cocktails. And well...um...metal doesn't burn...

My favorite line of dialogue: “Let’s go send these fuckers a Rambogram!”

If June isn't on this one then we riot. I am really unclear about the mission these robots had. Also would love to have Jason's thoughts on the furniture store orgy.

• Like 1

They were there to act as night security against any burglars, while also being able to differentiate between staff who might be leaving late at night. Unfortunately, the people who made these robo-guards never took lightning into account as their Laws of Robotics were shorted out in one thunderstorm causing them to be hostile to everyone.

it's a well known fact that robots struck by lightning automatically go nuts....

200_s.gif

• Like 2

They were there to act as night security against any burglars, while also being able to differentiate between staff who might be leaving late at night. Unfortunately, the people who made these robo-guards never took lightning into account as their Laws of Robotics were shorted out in one thunderstorm causing them to be hostile to everyone.

Ostensibly, but there's no reason for security robots to have the kind of fire power those things did. Also where in their original programming is the imperative to hide bodies after murdering them? There's something else going on here.

• Like 1

Only thing I can think of off the top of my head is Dawn Of The Dead, but that's not a slasher. There's Aerobicide/Killer workout, which feels very eighties, but not in a mall.

Finally figured out which movie it is, The Initiation starring Daphne Zuniga, which would also make for a great episode.

Seeing "The Wraith" reminded me of this awfully amazing classic! This movie would be perfect.

• Like 2

My girlfriend and I added this to our "must watch" list! I remember being freaked out by the VHS box cover when I was a kid. Now, I feel I'm mature enough to truly appreciate all the subtle nuance I imagine this will contain! ;)

Wait are they finally doing this utter gem of a movie!?!!

Can't wait to hear what they make of it, I am not ashamed to say I love this film as its utterly crazy