🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×

I think that this 1988 classic of a train wreck would be perfect. It stars Bobcat Goldthwait, Dabney Coleman and the voice of John Candy.

The IMDB Synopsis:

Fred P. Chaney (Goldthwait) receives as inheritance after the death of his mother a speaking horse (Voiced by Candy) that also has good knowledge about the stock-market. With the help of this horse Fred gains a lot at the stock-market of Chicago.

It also features an incredible climactic horse race, which is easily one of the more profane talking animal sequences in history.

post-25413-0-46629800-1326991389_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

My girlfriend has just opened my eyes to the absolute craziness (what she calls a "masterpiece") that is Hot To Trot. Bobcat Goldthwait talking to a Horse with John Candy's voice while a bucktoothed Dabney Coleman yells on. What in the world is happening and where in the hell is the sequel? This would be an amazing episode.

I've really got to get around to seeing this. Doesn't the talking horse help Bobcat become a better investor and pick good stocks, or am I just crazily making that up?

This has got to be one of the worst movies ever made. it's really hard to watch this film. as it's super not funny and to tell you the truth I've never watched all of it from begining to end. it's that bad and I will watch any movie with John Candy in it I love John Candy and god bless him but this movie is the worst.

This movie is interesting because you would think the talking horse would be the most annoying thing in the film but Bobcat Goldthwait acting is even worst. yet he's a great film maker and I really enjoy his work as a director but as a stand up comic, I'll be the first one out the door if he got up on stage.

This movie pretty much marks the end of the good portion of Dabney Coleman's career. He had a bit of a comeback with Boardwalk Empire, but the 90s & aughts are a dark period.

You should listen to The Q and A with Jeff Goldsmith podcast, specifically the one with Bobcat. It is the funniest shit ever, because Jeff brings up Hot To Trot within the first few minutes of the podcast, and Bobcat goes postal. Basically the enitre podcast is derailed by the fact that this asshole brought up a piece of shit movie from 25 years ago. I love Bobcat if for nothing else, than the way he annihilates this conversation.

• Like 1

This movie pretty much marks the end of the good portion of Dabney Coleman's career. He had a bit of a comeback with Boardwalk Empire, but the 90s & aughts are a dark period.

THIS reminds me of a movie he did called "Short Time", which I remember for pretty much one thing, and that is how out of touch Hollywood screenwriters are with kids. The movie has him playing a cop that thinks he's going to die of something or other, so he tries to get killed in the line of duty so that his family will get the full insurance payout. Hilarity (allegedly) ensues, and during all this, he probably learns the true meaning of happiness or some bullshit.

Anyway, the only scene I clearly remember has him riding around in the car with his kid. The radio's playing, kicking out some sweet, sweet Steve Winwood jams, so the kid cranks it up, as I'm sure we all would. Dabney's all like "Whoa, what's with these kids and their crazy rock and/or roll music?" or something (I could be paraphrasing), and the kid's all "Relax, dad! You just gotta rolllllll with it!". Y'see, kids LOVE Steve Winwood...and Bruce Hornsby...

• Like 1

You should listen to The Q and A with Jeff Goldsmith podcast, specifically the one with Bobcat. It is the funniest shit ever, because Jeff brings up Hot To Trot within the first few minutes of the podcast, and Bobcat goes postal. Basically the enitre podcast is derailed by the fact that this asshole brought up a piece of shit movie from 25 years ago. I love Bobcat if for nothing else, than the way he annihilates this conversation.

I think i listen to this show, it was right around when bob cat was promoting, god bless America. Good movie to check out. you guys if you have not yet seen it, lots of fun.

http://www.theqandap...-america-q.html

added later: I did hear this show it's too funny. the interviewer makes the mistake of bring up hot to trot and good old Goldsmith just grills him a new one in what turns out to be a one hour roast the host, it's too funny. I hate to promote another shows podcast but it's all done in good intentions.

A strange film that seems to try to reinvent the "Mr. Ed" franchise with Bobcat Goldthwait and a horse with the uncredited voice of John Candy.

I think this movie would make an amazing episode (I could hear Jason losing his mind with this one). Plus, there are many weird things they could talk about:

-Dabney Coleman's glasses and buck teeth.

-The unneeded use of cartoon sound effects.

- The fact that this movie was originally intended to be a Joan Rivers vehicle.

- The fact that one of the screenwriters is named Stephen NEIGHER?

- Bobcat singing "Tutti Fruitti!"

- The animal party at the apartment

- Danny Elfman's great comedic score (Nothing bad about it, but I wanted to give props.)

I really want an episode for this one. It would be GOLD!

I recently ordered this from Amazon and had not seen it in well over 20 years. Yeah it is really dumb. Only one or two amusing jokes. He has an atrium in his apartment. The lady activates the watering cycle. Lights flash, there is thunder and odd music. Bobcat screeches that "it's like a disco for ferns."

One joke I never really got as a kid was when the go visit the horse's parents. Their barn has a human shoe nailed above the door. Kind of a reverse of the lucky horseshoe above the door.

There''s some funny stuff here, but there is one joke that makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Bobcat is cooking hamburgers outside his trailer home. Bobcat asks Don the horse if it wants a hamburger, and Don goes, "No. Do you want a peopleburger?" Apparently the writers of this movie forgot that hamburgers are made from cows, not horses.

• Like 1

I feel like a podcast one this movie would revolve around them saying the same thing over and over............

"This movie is fucking dumb."

My mother rented this movie for me when I was home sick in the early 90's. It has to be HDTGM worthy. I think the premise is basically a talking horse who helps Bobcat Goldthwait become a successful stockbroker.

• Like 1

I have to add a vote for this one.

When I was a kid, I had a friend who was obsessed with horses and we would consume any movie with a horse on the poster. We watched this one a bunch of times and I'm pretty sure even then I knew it was total garbage.

I love it when they do terrible comedies, so I know I would enjoy them ripping this one.

This would be fun, but if they're going to cover anything from Bobcats earlier film career I think that One Crazy Summer would also be a solid choice.

I was listening to old Harmontown episodes -- on an early one, Bobcat says he's been sober since he was 18, which I have a lot of trouble believing.

Holy shit, this movie is so bananas.  I remember watching it all the time as a kid but damn I imagine it'd be a weird one as an adult.  I say give it whirl lol.