🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×

Oh my goodness. What do you get when you mix a little person in a chimpanzee suit, matt leblanc, and minor league baseball? You get 1996 classic "Ed". Do it.

I think that this movie and later Lost in Space tried to make a movie star out of Matt LeBlanc during the heyday of Friends, and unfortunately neither didn't do that well with audiences or reviewers. This film even got a few Razzie nominations, including Worst Picture, Worst Screenplay and Worst Screen Couple for LeBlanc and Ed, but it lost these categories to Striptease, which dominated that year. Ed even has a 0% on Rotten Tomatoes and is on the IMDb Bottom 100 list.

i attempted to recommend this a while ago, but couldn't find the clip online that inspired me to recommend it in the first place. without that clip i gave up.

the clip in question was a musical montage where Ed... the chimpanzee... plays sober driver to a drunken, passed out matt leblanc. it's 3 minutes of insanity that caps off a film that... well, read the description!!

i first heard of this movie through AVClub's "i watched this on purpose" feature. but that article is probably 5 years old so the video clips don't link well.

oh yeah also? JACK WARDEN! jack warden, guys!!!

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar!

The classic Matt LeBlanc film where a shitty minor league pitcher is teamed up with a ball playing monkey and craziness ensues. What the film actually is is a enjoyable piece of crap, with terrible characters, horrific acting, and a shitty looking monkey. The film is one bad joke but there are some interesting things like a young Jerry Gergich and a weird moment where the monkey actually watches a friends episode. This has everything you want in a bad film, bad jokes, a stupid plot, and a horrible acting job by a celebrity you like. Please do this film.

This movie has been making the rounds on Cinemax, I keep meaning to catch it

I've been dying for Paul, Jason and June to give us the lowdown on this movie. Matt LeBlanc and a man in a chimp suit playing professional baseball... seriously, HDTGM?

This might be apocrypha, but I remember hearing Lisa Kudrow sneaked out during the premiere.

Oh, that is a hideous fucking chimp effect.

It's like Airbud, but instead of basketball its baseball. And instead of a dog, it's a chimpanzee, not a real one but two alternating actors in a chimpanzee suit.

Jay Caputo and Denise Cheshire play Ed. Denise also played a gorilla in Mighty Joe Young. While Jay has played multiple apes in Tim Burton's 2001 Planet of the Apes, as well as playing Alpha in Rise of The Planet of the Apes.

0% on Rotten Tomatoes. 2.7 on imdb. From the director of The West Wing Documentary Special

Budget: $24,000,000 (estimated)       Cumulative Worldwide Gross: $4,422,380

v1.jpeg

I am amazed at how I wasn't terrified as a kid seeing this movie if only for the actor playing the chimp and the costume. This movie is straight up nightmare fuel.

Joey playing baseball with a chimpanzee, do I need to explain more?

I honestly don't remember a ton about this movie, but I saw it a bunch as a kid and kind of remember it being weird/bad enough that I always thought it would make a good HDTGM. Anyone else recall this forgotten masterpiece from their childhood?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ed_(film)

Sign in to follow this