🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
campbeaw

Swept Away

You need to cover this movie. It's just pure misogynistic crap. I like Guy Ritchie's films, but this one sucks so hard it takes his other ones down a bit.

• Like 1

I initially felt like this would be podcast-worthy, but too boring to see, but...just go see this movie, like, NOW. Elizabeth Banks and Jeanne Tripplehorn are in this, Every rich person in this movie looks like garbage in every sense, especially Madonna and Tripplehorn, The mini-Music video in the middle of the movie (Where, I swear to god, it looked like Madonna was shaking her breasts with a fish in her cleavage), the Drunken Charades Game, and...well, I don't want to give away a horrifying point in this movie, but if someone told me that there was an extended cut of this movie with a scene of Madonna just getting the shit kicked out of her, I'd believe it. I want to hear the podcast's take on this, I want JUNE'S take on this, please do it.

I remember seeing this a long time ago and obviously hating it, but I don't remember Elizabeth Banks being in it, does she have a big part?

I got a feeling of deja vu didn't we just talking about this film.

btw this is the only Guy Ritchie movie I've never seen.

Anything with Madonna is usually garbage. There are rare exceptions, but it's a pretty good rule of thumb.

Banks plays Debi, the dumb trophy wife of one of the rich men who's only job is to act stupid.

Also, in the big 'music number' in the film (Come On To My House), World Famous Pop Star Madonna is, in fact, not singing. I just found out today that is not her. She, and the band that is playing behind her, are lip syncing to Della Reese's original recording...

DO. THIS. MOVIE.

Oh I'm sure, I never saw it because I have a policy against Madonna movies that aren't Desperately Seeking Susan.

• Like 1

Just added to Netflix Instant

HOLY SHIT. Caught five minutes of Swept Away on tv last week, and knew that it was tailor made for HDTGM. If the podcast didn't exist, this movie would have made it necessary to create it.

This movie would of been great if Madonna's charactor would of been held underwater at the end of the movie.Quit calling me poppy you stupied bitch! Roll to credits.

Wow. This is easily one of the worst movies I have ever seen in my entire life. I suspect that it's actually a secret ploy by the Ayn Rand institute to discredit people who are against capitalism. And that near rape beach scene made Game of Thrones look like the "Dudley gets molested" special episode of Diff'rent Strokes.

Madonna's character is one of the most unlikeable (and I know she's supposed to be unlikeable) characters in the history of cinema, and being mean and nasty comes so so so much more naturally to her than being loving and vulnerable. I imagine that when her friends came back to the boat and she and Pepe were gone they gave up waiting on her pretty quickly.

This is billed as a comedy and there are things in there that are delivered like jokes, but are the antithesis of funny.

This is the reason why Madonna stopped acting after that and has done what she does best: her music! Plus she and Guy Ritchie would eventually divorce a few years after the film's release.

And then she goes and releases the Swept Away of her musical career...

Sign in to follow this