🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays Week 55 Rockula

16 minutes ago, Cameron H. said:

I’ve got a couple of other questions. At the end of the movie, Mirror Ralph - before he breaks free - says he’s locked in the dressing room. First of all, who locked the door? Can something in the real world affect Mirror Ralph’s world? Could it be that vampires actually have reflections, but they all just got locked away someplace? 

Also, does Mirror Ralph eat - the denizens of Mirror world or otherwise? If he were to get locked in that room indefinitely, would he starve to death? I mean, theoretically, if a month later Ralph Prime finally remembered Mirror Ralph was trapped in Club Hell’s dressing room, if after all that time he looked in that mirror, would he find Mirror Ralph’s emaciated corpse?

Also, speaking of Club Hell, you’ve got to love a club that bounces you for being a dork one night and then introduces you as the next big thing the following night. I mean, Mona’s been, presumably, working toward playing there for years, and in a matter of 24 hours, all her hard work is diminished and upstaged by a corny novelty act.

You'd image every time he sees his appearance it'd be startled from just randomly being shifted to a new location from the limbo it was stuck in of the past location. 

Imagine the hell of Ralph just walking pass mirrors in general. Like he's just randomly popping here and there and completely unaware of what's going on because Ralph didn't notice the mirror. Like if Ralph was in the mall and there was a mirror in a shop across the way and he's caught in the reflection of it, just shopping away, while his reflection has to exist super tiny and with no one around to notice or care about him. I guess he could explore the mall on his own in that case.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Cameron H. said:

I meant to respond to this yesterday. I don’t disagree that he was off-the-wall, but I think I really liked that about him. He amped up the absurdity level to 11. I think it worked well for the film.

That being said, Madam Ben Wah (heh) didn’t really need try all that hard convince him to kill his girlfriend, did she?

”You should kill her.”

”I should?”

”Yes.”

”Okay, I can see the logic in that.”

In the commentary and interviews they mention that during the cryogenic attempt on Mona, Stanley is singing a cover of Tom Lehrer's I Hold Your Hand in Mine.  I love that song and totally missed it in the film.

• Like 2

On 1/7/2019 at 10:29 AM, AlmostAGhost said:

They spelled the actress' name wrong on this poster

Dean Cameron mentions he did the bite the guitar shot as a joke.  He said something like "Here's the bad version of the poster" during a photo shoot and that turned out to be the poster.  He never intended that.

• Like 3

On 1/7/2019 at 9:59 PM, Cameron H. said:

tumblr_n1fmrxyQMN1qedb29o1_500.gif

The actress in the Bat Dork outfit also played ET.

• Like 2

On 1/8/2019 at 10:09 AM, WatchOutForSnakes said:

What was with those three girls? And why were they dressed as child brides at the end? 

They were an actual band called Visiting Kids.  At least one of them is a child of a Devo member, Mark Mothersbaugh.  Not sure about the bride outfit though.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Cameron H. said:

I meant to respond to this yesterday. I don’t disagree that he was off-the-wall, but I think I really liked that about him. He amped up the absurdity level to 11. I think it worked well for the film.

That being said, Madam Ben Wah (heh) didn’t really need try all that hard convince him to kill his girlfriend, did she?

”You should kill her.”

”I should?”

”Yes.”

”Okay, I can see the logic in that.”

I should clarify that I was surprised Thomas Dolby was so goofy.  I didn't know anything about him except for She Blinded Me With Science, so it appears he was having a lot of fun.  I just didn't understand the character.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Cinco DeNio said:

They were an actual band called Visiting Kids.  At least one of them is a child of a Devo member, Mark Mothersbaugh.  Not sure about the bride outfit though.

Their sudden appearance in the music video creeped me out, and the bride costumes for Halloween was a really odd choice.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, WatchOutForSnakes said:

Their sudden appearance in the music video creeped me out, and the bride costumes for Halloween was a really odd choice.

SAME! I didn't get that at all!

I mean I didn't get the damn music video until the legit showed the tv and the fact that it was a music video cause the whole time I was like why are these people just walking around with these homeless children?!

But this does bring me to another point too - so he actually sees scenes from the music video in that weird dream he had where he was watching her perform but then the pirate swooped in to kiss her and now I'm wondering, does he see the future?

• Like 2

Did anyone else find it odd that being a “Rockula” had no real bearing on the plot? Like, I think the band pretty much disappears altogether after the rap (not that I blame them). I think it would have been more interesting if somehow the band was more instrumental (nailed it) to breaking the curse.

• Like 5

On 1/7/2019 at 7:51 AM, Cam Bert said:

I live in Japan and if you show people a picture of a vampire and ask what it is you'll get the response "It's a Dracula." I don't even think this is isolated to people that don't speak English. I'm sure you can go on the street show a picture of a vampire to people in North America and get "Dracula" as a reply. While not as a great level as the 'Frankenstein vs Frankenstein's Monster' debate (on a side note in Son of Frankenstein this is actually addressed by Frankenstein's son saying that people even took to calling it by his father's name and that's okay because he too was a 'son' thus taking the family name) it is not helped by films like this and Blacula and Bunnicula that make people think the generic term for vampire is "Dracula". That said "Rock-pire" is not as catchy as Rockula. Though he only really has one rock song. They could have easily called him "Hiphopula"

I just need to say Bunicula was an amazing book series and I have zero shame that I bought one of the books at the last book sale I worked for my library.

• Like 2

On 1/7/2019 at 10:41 AM, grudlian. said:

So, what is his reflection? Vampires can't normally be seen in a mirror and reflections don't have different personalities, talk back to you or dress differently. So, is his reflection a different dimension?

Is this a Mary Poppins situation? Or is Mary Poppins a Rockula situation.... 

• Like 1

On 1/7/2019 at 6:16 PM, Cameron H. said:

Okay, here’s my new Mirror Ralph theory: All vampires have sentient reflections, and the reason they never see a reflection, is because their mirror self is off living their own lives. 

But...that doesn’t really make sense either, because mirror Ralph complains about things being backwards. If he was a mirror person, you’d think he would be used to it. So...I’m back to not knowing.

I am curious as to where Mirror Ralph meets women. Does that mean there’s a woman out there without a reflection? Is she a vampire? Is she also cursed?

Like the paintings at Hogwarts / the wizarding world? Because I'm here for this. I want to see what goes on in mirror land now

• Like 3

On 1/9/2019 at 5:30 PM, gigi-tastic said:

Like the paintings at Hogwarts / the wizarding world? Because I'm here for this. I want to see what goes on in mirror land now

So if Mirror Ralph has any sort of interior life within the mirrors, I guess we can assume that Harry Potter is his favorite book series and Evil Dead II is his favorite movie?
giphy.gif

• Like 3

Tom, do you want to ahead and give us your pick so we can talk about it next week?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Cameron H. said:

Tom, do you want to ahead and give us your pick so we can talk about it next week?

K, I’ve got a couple of candidates in mind. I’ll my pick as soon as I stop flip flopping!

• Like 3

7 hours ago, tomspanks said:

K, I’ve got a couple of candidates in mind. I’ll my pick as soon as I stop flip flopping!

uncertain.gif

• Like 5

8 hours ago, tomspanks said:

Well we only have 2 days to watch it so flip a coin!

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, AlmostAGhost said:

Well we only have 2 days to watch it so flip a coin!

tenor.gif?itemid=4491425

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Well, I can't believe we haven't covered a Rodgers & Hammerstein musical yet! So I give you....

No, not Sound of Music

Not Oklahoma!

Not The King and I

Not South Pacific

Not Carousel

513BK8B6BWL._SY445_.jpg

::record scratch::

Huh?  Flower Drum Song?  What is this R&H musical nobody's heard of?  Will this be super racist?  Or was this the Crazy Rich Asians of its day?  Let's find out!

Available on Amazon Prime.

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, tomspanks said:

Well, I can't believe we haven't covered a Rodgers & Hammerstein musical yet! So I give you....

Hide contents

No, not Sound of Music

Not Oklahoma!

Not The King and I

Not South Pacific

Not Carousel

Hide contents

513BK8B6BWL._SY445_.jpg

Huh?  Flower Drum Song?  What is this R&H musical nobody's heard of?  Will this be super racist?  Or was this the Crazy Rich Asians of its day?  Let's find out!

I’m very much looking forward to this ;) 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tomspanks said:

Will this be super racist?

I have a good guess for this 😎

Also R&H did the Cinderella we watched a few turns ago!  But actually that makes me more stoked for this...

• Like 6

1 hour ago, tomspanks said:

Hide contents

No, not Sound of Music

Not Oklahoma!

Not The King and I

Not South Pacific

Not Carousel

Reveal hidden contents

513BK8B6BWL._SY445_.jpg

Not sure I've even heard of this one.  My only quibble with R&H is every show gets very dark for a while.  Jud Frye in Oklahoma, Billy being an utter crook in Carousel, etc.

• Like 3

It's short notice but the movie is available through Amazon Prime.  I'd be willing to host a Rabbit showing tonight at 9 Eastern if there's any interest.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AlmostAGhost said:

I have a good guess for this 😎

Also R&H did the Cinderella we watched a few turns ago!  But actually that makes me more stoked for this...

My bad!

• Like 2

It's also based on a novel like Crazy Rich Asians. I'm expecting big things!

• Like 3