๐Ÿ”’ The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ร—
JuanCarlosNunez

Stay Alive (2006)

The director of this film, William Brent Bell, would later go on to direct the craptastic horror flick The Devil Inside.

• Like 1

I like how there's this murderous video game that GameStop (or the GameStop-like store the cop stops at) clearly knows nothing about, but the stinger at the end, when all is believed to be well again, we see the store again, and a whole case of this game is being delivered! Because that happens in retail, you take boxes of shit you didn't order or haven't even HEARD of and you put it right out for sale. There should be a post-credits scene where we see that a month later the game still hasn't killed anyone else, because either it wasn't promoted and no real gamers bought it, or its gone unplayed because everyone's grandma bought it for them for the wrong system...

• Like 4

I like how there's this murderous video game that GameStop (or the GameStop-like store the cop stops at) clearly knows nothing about, but in the stinger at the end, when all is believed to be well again, we see the store again, and a whole case of this game is being delivered! Because that happens in retail, you take boxes of shit you didn't order or haven't even HEARD of and you put it right out for sale. There should be a post-credits scene where we see that a month later the game still hasn't killed anyone else, because either it wasn't promoted and no real gamers bought it, or it's gone unplayed because everyone's grandma bought it for them for the wrong system...

Even if they never cover this movie, I strongly recommend giving it a shot. Its a trainwreck but it was a really fun watch.

• Like 2

This movie gets my vote solely for the fact that it's the only slasher film from Walt Disney. Walt Disney. I mean, it's only PG-13, but...Walt Disney. So strange. Also, the theatrical cut is a meager 85 minutes? 15 extra for the director's cut.

ย 

I think this may have the longest Wikipedia write-up that I've ever seen for a film.

ย 

https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Stay_Alive

• Like 1

It always cracks me up when movies have a video game as like a major plotpoint and the game always looks terrible. Law and Order Criminal Intent has one of my favorite episodes for how badly they botched both the culture of gaming and the game itself.

• Like 1

Even if they never cover this movie, I strongly recommend giving it a shot. Its a trainwreck but it was a really fun watch.

ย 

I am well aware that the very process of movie making adds a level of difficulty in making a film about current video game culture (By the time the completed movie comes out the games featured could have loose popularity or became less relevant)... But with that in mind IMHO I did not enjoy this movie because it had no likeable characters and bailed out on its rules when the writers found out that the main premise only worked until the characters find out that they can stop playing for good and not die in the game which in turn makes them safe in the real world defusing the tension midway through the movie

ย 

But if it gets picked for an upcoming HDTGM ep. I'll listen to what the gang has to say...

ย 

ย 

I like how there's this murderous video game that GameStop (or the GameStop-like store the cop stops at) clearly knows nothing about, but the stinger at the end, when all is believed to be well again, we see the store again, and a whole case of this game is being delivered! Because that happens in retail, you take boxes of shit you didn't order or haven't even HEARD of and you put it right out for sale. There should be a post-credits scene where we see that a month later the game still hasn't killed anyone else, because either it wasn't promoted and no real gamers bought it, or its gone unplayed because everyone's grandma bought it for them for the wrong system...

ย 

(I saw the unrated version) Also the "Stay Alive" game was in testing phase and both the game's creator and tester are dead... Then who green lit it and distributed it???

ย 

And when it sooms into the T.V. at the end people are heard "reading" the diary (Oh No! They are going to wake her up again!) but no text is shown... ???

ย 

This was a lazy LAZY "The Ring but with video games" rip-off

• Like 1

I don't know if you ever saw the movie Reign over me with Don Cheadle and Adam Sandler but it's an excellent example of a director using a video game in a film.

ย 

Instead of just having Adam Sandler being some depressed dude who plays video games to get away from reality.

They specifically chose Shadow of The Colossus because the imagery of the character toppling massive building sized stone creatures as a way to show Sandler not being able to deal with the horrors of seeing his family die when the twins towers fell.

I just rewatched this move after having not seen it since I was 15 (loved it at that age). And I agree with the comment above, I thought it was fun to watch and I think the Paul, Jason and June would have watching it.

ย 

But what really got me, was the fact that Sophia Bush's character's name is OCTOBER! Like what?! I feel like June would love that. They also make every use of her screen time to say her name as many times as possible. Seriously, if I had more time on my hands I'd make a supercut of all the times the characters had to say "October."

ย 

My husband and I were also curious about the use of the name in real life, and found something very interesting:

ย 

IMG_3427.png

Seems to have risen in 2006....

Even if this movie is never covered on HDTGM if you're interested it's currently streaming on hulu.

ย 

That being said, I know this is a piece of crap movie. I watched it a week or so ago because I binge horror movies during October and hadn't seen this since it first came out. A couple of things jumped out at me.

ย 

Samaire Armstron's character is introduced at a funeral, at which she is photographing the bereaved including our "hero" Hutch. She says that she was really friends with the girl who died (which was Loomis' roommates girlfriend). So basically you're at the funeral of an acquaintance and feel it's totally appropriate to invade the personal space of the grieving because it's cute and quirky. Then Hutch is so taken with this really weird girl that he invites her to hang and play this weird game of Loomis' (oh and she's not even a gamer). She later reveals that she's homeless.

ย 

So to summarize, homeless acquaintance attends funeral and proceeds to get her kicks by taking pictures of crying individuals and to pick up men. Cool.

ย 

Oh and yeah Sophia Bush is flawless regardless of what she does so October rules.

• Like 1

Samaire Armstron's character is introduced at a funeral, at which she is photographing the bereaved including our "hero" Hutch. She says that she was really friends with the girl who died (which was Loomis' roommates girlfriend). So basically you're at the funeral of an acquaintance and feel it's totally appropriate to invade the personal space of the grieving because it's cute and quirky. Then Hutch is so taken with this really weird girl that he invites her to hang and play this weird game of Loomis' (oh and she's not even a gamer). She later reveals that she's homeless.

ย 

So to summarize, homeless acquaintance attends funeral and proceeds to get her kicks by taking pictures of crying individuals and to pick up men. Cool.

ย 

Her entire character was insane. Although I'd seen the movie already, I was half-expecting her to be the killer. She wasn't even that charming for Hutch to invite her to his friend's pad out of nowhere.